Hello everybody, here is a newbie from P.R.China

devmim

I am now living in Tianjin of P.R.China that is near to Beijing, and my hometown is Shenyang of the northest of P.R.China. I've never been in military service, but I'm enthusiastic for military history and relevant politics. So, I came here to see various ideas around the world and hope to decrease the misunderstanding between China and other countries.

I am not a Chicom and only an ordinary Chinese. What I will say completely belong to my own opinions and there are no any restrictions in China on my expressing my views here!!

Welcome man. Well you'll probably become a character here. You're the first Chinese we have.

I think you're also the first one from a non democratic country.
And hey- glad to hear you're not a communist but hard to believe you guys are allowed full thought or speech freedom there.
I mean China is for sure a great country, but most of us here think it doesn't let you do say 25 % of the things we're allowed to do in the West. Do you belong to that 120 mill Chinese who enjoy a wealthy life standard ( income etc ) on Western level and who are about to touristically 'invade' Europe and U.S. ? Are now all of the Chinese allowed to leave the country and come back and even travel within the country with no restrictions ? Do people get executed and the bullet charged on their families simply because they didnt pay taxes or were hiding one further kid than allowed ?
I don't mean to sound offensive in anyway. I just guess we all want to know. And since you said you would like to bridge the gaps between what we think of China and what China really is all about, well feel free to update us.
Looking forward to read more of your posts.

Welcome devmim, Thank you very much for your intro. :)

First member from China, nice, now we are really starting to become an international forum. :D
Looking forward to read your posts!

ItalianGuy4US said:
Welcome man. Well you'll probably become a character here. You're the first Chinese we have.

I think you're also the first one from a non democratic country.
And hey- glad to hear you're not a pinko but hard to believe you guys are allowed full thought or speech freedom there.
I mean China is for sure a great country, but most of us here think it doesn't let you do say 25 % of the things we're allowed to do in the West. Do you belong to that 120 mill Chinese who enjoy a wealthy life standard ( income etc ) on Western level and who are about to touristically 'invade' Europe and U.S. ? Are now all of the Chinese allowed to leave the country and come back and even travel within the country with no restrictions ? Do people get executed and the bullet charged on their families simply because they didnt pay taxes or were hiding one further kid than allowed ?
I don't mean to sound offensive in anyway. I just guess we all want to know. And since you said you would like to bridge the gaps between what we think of China and what China really is all about, well feel free to update us.
Looking forward to read more of your posts.

Your questions are very interesting!! I wii reply to you today or tomorrow because I must go home for lunch. However, I still tell you that you underestimate China's Changes greatly!!! Please wait my reply, thanks.

ItalianGuy4US said:
And hey- glad to hear you're not a pinko but hard to believe you guys are allowed full thought or speech freedom there.
I mean China is for sure a great country, but most of us here think it doesn't let you do say 25 % of the things we're allowed to do in the West.

I will reply to your questions one by one.

I don’t know whether I belong to the leftist or the rightist, but I know I love Chinese history and my country and I am partly nationalist, so in your west eyes I maybe a rightist. :D

Honestly speaking, I may freely say 90% of the things you're allowed to do in the West. To some extent I can freely say 100 %, if I am willing and don’t fear the possible aftermath. I mean I can talk with you on almost any aspects of your concerned things except for few things, like the Tiananmen square event in 1989, Falungong event and Jiang zemin, but that just mean that I can not discuss these things in depth. I often post in China’s forums; so I know what I’ll say are safe for me or what degree the freedom of speech in China is up to. In short, the Chinese freedom of speech is not better than your west and lags behind yours a long way. However, it is not so bad as your saying 25%, and better greatly than you have thought. Without further ado, you can talk with me on any things including the Tiananmen square event in 1989, Falungong event and Jiang zemin if you want to, I will be pleased to discuss. You can testify what I said above. :)

Good to hear that, and surprising. I like the way you think though.
It's still pretty hard for me to believe, but I'll do my utmost, promise.
For instance, can you write what you think of the Communist Party on a free newspaper ?
Can you vote for a party other than the Communist Party ? Can you go on TV and say your Prime Minister is doing superbad for your country and he should go home ? Can you freely say the West is a better place than China ( you might not think so, but would you be free to say that, if you thought so ? )

You said: "I don’t know whether I belong to the leftist or the rightist ".
Ain't it maybe because you don't have parties to choose ?

Are you free to embrace Catholicism and get baptized on a public ceremony and declare your devotion to Christ or Allah ? Because that is the West.

Do you have trials in courts that be based on the rule of law ? That is what we live accordingly to.

ItalianGuy4US said:
Do you belong to that 120 mill Chinese who enjoy a wealthy life standard ( income etc ) on Western level and who are about to touristically 'invade' Europe and U.S. ?

I don’t think I belong to that kind of people you said above. I should be on the above middle level in China.

ItalianGuy4US said:
Are now all of the Chinese allowed to leave the country and come back and even travel within the country with no restrictions ?

What you know about China is so obsolete, and that was true 20-30 years ago. At present, any Chinese can go anywhere of China to travel or work and sometimes an ID card is convenient for their traveling or working. (ID card is necessary for the adult Chinese and the adult west, there are no differences between them). Therefore, there are no restrictions for domestic traveling or working.

Now not all of the Chinese allowed to leave China if he or she committed a crime, and I think it is reasonable. If you don’t committed a crime, you can easily get a your own passport and can go abroad if you have enough money. Therefore, there are also no restrictions for going abroad.

For example, I have gotten my passport three years ago and have wanted to pursue a PhD degree in US. However, the US embassy rejected my visa application seven times in consecutive three years because they don’t believe I will come back to China. But I have a stable job in China and enough financial aid from US university to support me to study, of course, I am not a terrorist too, so I think there are restrictions in the West other than the China!!! :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the forum, devmim. You got some pretty interesting information there, I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts. Good luck with your PhD, what are you trying to get it in if you don't mind my asking?
Just for the sake of randomness, a couple of my friends just returned from China and they both greatly enjoyed the country and the people there.

ItalianGuy4US said:
For instance, can you write what you think of the Communist Party on a free newspaper ?
NO, I have no any chance because we have not a free newspaper in China, which is banned by Chinese government.

ItalianGuy4US said:
Can you vote for a party other than the Communist Party ?
NO, there only one party, CCP, in China, although the government declares China has other several parties, but they are wholly controlled by CCP.

ItalianGuy4US said:
Can you go on TV and say your Prime Minister is doing superbad for your country and he should go home ?
NO way, I have not any chance.

ItalianGuy4US said:
Can you freely say the West is a better place than China ( you might not think so, but would you be free to say that, if you thought so ? )
Yes, in some China’s forums, you can say anything in the West including the democracy better than China, and criticize the CCP, but in public, such as in TV or newspaper, you can only say the West is better than China in some aspects, and don’t mention the West democracy is better than China, of course, you don’t have the chance. In a word, in public, you can not criticize the CCP, but in private, you can say anything you want to say and don’t fear anything.

ItalianGuy4US said:
You said: "I don’t know whether I belong to the leftist or the rightist ".
Ain't it maybe because you don't have parties to choose ?
Yes. No Choice for me, but I hope.

ItalianGuy4US said:
are you free to embrace Catholicism and get baptized on a public ceremony and declare your devotion to Christ or Allah ? Because that is the West.
Yes, no any problem. However, the only drawback for me if I do so is that I can not enter in CCP and will probably lose many opportunities, for example, the promotion, corruption (a way to earn money for Chinese official), etc.

ItalianGuy4US said:
Do you have trials in courts that be based on the rule of law ? That is what we live according to.
NO. I have never entered into courts, but as far as I know, the corruption of Chinese courts is getting severe. If you don’t have money and relations, you had better not enter into courts.

Thank you for your honesty. You do sound like a good guy.
Welcome again, and I'm looking forward to reading all of your posts.

Redneck said:
Welcome to the forum, devmim. You got some pretty interesting information there, I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts. Good luck with your PhD, what are you trying to get it in if you don't mind my asking?
Just for the sake of randomness, a couple of my friends just returned from China and they both greatly enjoyed the country and the people there.

2002, Phd in Chem Eng, Univ of Cincinnati, full scholarship;

2003, Phd in Chem Eng, Univ of Alabama, Texas Tech Univ. Oklahoma State Univ, all are full scholarship. University of Oklahoma, only admission.

2004, Phd in Chem Eng, Oklahoma State Univ, full scholarship. this is an extension to me.

If you have a chance to go to Tianjin of China, I am willing to be as your guide.

Thank you very much for the offer, devmim. Congratulations on your scholarships, sounds like you're one smart cookie. ;)

Welcome to the forum, devmim :D Nice to have someone here who tell us about communism from another point of view....

I have added the Chinese flag now. :)
You can find it in the Flag Shop (in the PX).

Back