Hello to all, new member

John C Winfrey

I am a retired USAR Major who spent my life in two fields basically, military and education. Commissioned from Texas A&M in 1970 served with the 1st of the 15th Inf "Can Do" battalion in Harvey Barracks, Kitzingen, Germany as platoon leader in C Company and then as Adj S-1 at the Brigade as the Courts and Boards officer processing all legal matters for the 2d Brigade.

I am a public school and college social studies teacher with main interests in all sorts of history and world geography. I have taught school college in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and from grades 9 through grad school courses in history and geography.

My other assignments in the miltary included 2 tours with the Ranger Dept, 2/12 Cav at Ft. Hood, ROTC assignments at two colleges and served at 10 ROTC camps, and was career advisor, PMO for Infantry branch at ARPERCEN in St. Louis for 30 mos.

My hobbies include film music and reading all sorts of non-fiction books.
I also was involved a lot in my life with loss prevention and was a city letter carrier for 14 years at the post office.

I am working on two books. One of which is on leadership and will cover many good leaders I have known.
Thanks and best to you all. JW.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard and thanks for your reply on "Can Do". You may remember COL Gene Price from the time you served at the 2d Brigade. I don't know where he is now, but I had occasion to correspond with him when he was at the Pentagon and I was at State. If you should have news of him, I would appreciate knowing. Also, if you are still in contact with Ed Sumney, I would like to get in contact with him.
I'm sure we ran into each other in Kitzingen. Lord knows I participated in enough article 32 investigations. Enjoy the forum.

Back