Hello from Alaska

alcancobra

Hello all,

I'm a Army veteran of ten years. Never saw any action overseas as all my stations were state side.

I joined in 1986 after finding myself just roaming around going no place in life. Having left home at the age of 15, I received my GED at the age of 18 and just drifted a bit until the age of 21.

I walked into the recruiting station in a small Colorado town and took the test, passed and found myself at the Denver MEPS station. My first assignment was supposed to be Germany, but that soon changed.
Before I knew it I had been assigned to Ft. Myer, The Old Guard. It was sold to me as a great station where I would have my own room and even have carpet. Well, I had met a girl before joining and I figured I'd stand a better chance of keeping her if I stayed stateside so I took the assignment.

I soon found myself standing in Sand Hill at Fort Benning with my duffle over my head going through shock treatment and Drills in my face and thinking "what the hell have I gotten myself into"?

Basic went fine and I was off to the Old Guard where I went through my training all the while being called a "new dick". I completed training as my company began funeral week.

I resisted and fought the system for a few months acquiring a few counseling statements along the way. I figured " I was a man" and they can't treat me this way, well, I had a lot to learn.

After a rough start I moved up the ladder, got some good assignments and began to enjoy my tour. I was assigned to Sec Def duty at the Pentagon, became a member of our first platoon, first squad colors team which posted the colors at the Tomb many times and became a trainer for the company.

I only did three years active, but learned much. It also put me on the right path and got me where I am today, which is pretty successful with a great career and college educated.

I did seven more years in the National Guard and Reserves, three being full time after my initial tour and ended my military service as an E6.
I bucked the system in the beginning, but ended up gaining a lifetime of knowledge and respect for it in the end.

I thank all of you who have served and who are now serving.

AC.

Last edited:
Back