Hello From Alaska!

--

May 4th, 2006  
jchommel

Topic: Hello From Alaska!

Hi everyone, my name is Charity. I found this wonderful site searching for info on my Grandfather. He past away when I was 7 and I have always wondered why his life during WWII was never talked about. I finally decided I was going to find out everything I could about my sweet Grandpa. I will not allow his stories to die. My kids will be proud of his service to our countries.
His name is Lewis F. Douglas from Michigan. He was a T/4 in the 1258th Engineer Combat Battalion, H&S Company (I think), Third Army.
I have seen a couple posts about the 1258th, but these posts were a couple years ago. If anyone can shed some light on the 1258th's service during WWII, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
May 4th, 2006  
Missileer

Welcome jchommel. I think there are a few people on here with pretty good sources as we have a lot of military history buffs. I have a set of books about US Army units that have info in them that I wasn't able to find on the web.

I've been to Fairbanks and drove down to Delta Junction on business about 10 years ago. It was March so the temp was already up to +20 F.
May 4th, 2006  
jchommel

Topic: Thank you!

Thank you Missileer! Yes I will be doing research in my local library as soon as I get over this cold!
I am glad you experianced Alaska. : I have a sister living in Fairbanks. She is in the National Guard. It reached 50 below this winter! Fun stuff.
--
May 4th, 2006  
tomtom22

Topic: Welcome!

Welcome aboard, jchommel.

Have you tried this site? http://www.lonesentry.com/
May 4th, 2006  
Ted

Welcome aboard jchommel, i hope you find what you are looking for, so good luck to you!
May 4th, 2006  
Italian Guy

Welcome to the boards Jchommel, I'm the Italian Guy but guys here call me IG.
We are honored to be taken into consideration for such an important research of yours.
I really hope you will be able to dig out some good information on your Grandfather. For my part, I will surely everything I can to provide help.
Luckily enough, we have a lot of WW2 experts overhere.
Alaska, uh? Never been that upnorth, I've been to western Canada and it was cold enough for me .
Enjoy the boards, later.
May 4th, 2006  
Missileer

Jchommel,

This is a great Army Unit History resource. I've had a lot of luck finding books through this site.

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/
May 4th, 2006  
Italian Guy

I found the 1258th here, here and here. Oh and by the way that old poster Bonnieblue who posted stories about the 1258th has a Yahoo716 instant messaging ID. She might know more. Just some little help.
May 4th, 2006  
MightyMacbeth

ahh greetings there

This place welcomes, and I am sure you will find warmth here lol.. I can sense the cool breez from Alaska actually.. and we really do need it!

well, good luck to you and I wish u a great stay
May 5th, 2006  
Navy Boy

Welcome aboard,jchommel.