Hello From Alaska!

jchommel

Hi everyone, my name is Charity. I found this wonderful site searching for info on my Grandfather. He past away when I was 7 and I have always wondered why his life during WWII was never talked about. I finally decided I was going to find out everything I could about my sweet Grandpa. :) I will not allow his stories to die. My kids will be proud of his service to our countries.
His name is Lewis F. Douglas from Michigan. He was a T/4 in the 1258th Engineer Combat Battalion, H&S Company (I think), Third Army.
I have seen a couple posts about the 1258th, but these posts were a couple years ago. If anyone can shed some light on the 1258th's service during WWII, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Welcome jchommel. I think there are a few people on here with pretty good sources as we have a lot of military history buffs. I have a set of books about US Army units that have info in them that I wasn't able to find on the web.

I've been to Fairbanks and drove down to Delta Junction on business about 10 years ago. It was March so the temp was already up to +20 F.

Thank you!

Thank you Missileer! Yes I will be doing research in my local library as soon as I get over this cold!
I am glad you experianced Alaska. : I have a sister living in Fairbanks. She is in the National Guard. It reached 50 below this winter! Fun stuff. :)

Welcome aboard jchommel, i hope you find what you are looking for, so good luck to you!

Welcome to the boards Jchommel, I'm the Italian Guy but guys here call me IG.
We are honored to be taken into consideration for such an important research of yours.
I really hope you will be able to dig out some good information on your Grandfather. For my part, I will surely everything I can to provide help.
Luckily enough, we have a lot of WW2 experts overhere.
Alaska, uh? Never been that upnorth, I've been to western Canada and it was cold enough for me :cool:.
Enjoy the boards, later.

I found the 1258th here, here and here. Oh and by the way that old poster Bonnieblue who posted stories about the 1258th has a Yahoo716 instant messaging ID. She might know more. Just some little help.

Last edited:
ahh greetings there :)

This place welcomes, and I am sure you will find warmth here lol.. I can sense the cool breez from Alaska actually.. and we really do need it!

well, good luck to you and I wish u a great stay :)

Welcome

Welcome

I found some great information on my Grandfather who served in a Tank Destroyer unit in World War Two. (Seek Strike Destroy) Hellcats.

EditorDan11ADA (at) charter.net

Now this is a Armored Division site,but if he can't help he may send you to
someone who can!

Great site Missileer! I hadn't come across it. I have alot of digging to do! :) Thank you!

Thank you Jaz-do. Whats interesting is my Gramp made it to Dachau and he was frantic to find his brother-in-law in the concentration camp there. I think his brother-in-law's name was Adam Falkowski and he was a tank man. I have been searching for him too, but can't find anything yet. I know Adam did make it back to the States, but thats all. Thanks again! My search continues!

Chief Bones said:
Watch the back-to-back posts ... the Mods will come a knockin on your door.

Already been "knockin".. ;)

Welcome to the forums jchommel. :)

1258th Combat Engineers

Hello Jchommel,

From what I have been able to learn your Grandad was in some of the toughest fighting during WWII. My father, Brune Levering, was a 20 year old Sargeant in the 1258th Combat Engineers, Company B. He didn't talk alot about the war but he did tell me a number of things about his experiece. He said that the 1258th spent the longest time on the German front lines without relief of any company in the war. The 1258th fought in the Battle of the Bulge and the Bridge at Remagen. According to his records he arrived in France on January 8th, 1945. They arrived Luxembourge January 2oth, Arrived Germany February 24th, and Departed Grermany on March 5th 1946. I believe that Robert E. Buchanan was the Captain and CO. Battles and Campaigns are listed as Ardennes Rhineland Central Europe. My dad told me that his most vivid memories were as follows. We were always cold, always uncertain where we were and where the Germans were, we were alwasy scared, never had enough water. He said they put news paper in thier uniforms to try to stay warm. He said they saw some terrible things but the things he remembers the most were his buddies and the funny things that happended. He told some great stories. My dad was a great man and I know your grandad was also. God Bless, Brune Levering Jr.

Back