Heinie the mule

Chief Bones

Forums Grumpy Old Man
This story is about an old man and his grandson, who lived in a cabin up in the mountains, and they had this old mule named "Heinie". Now, Heinie was one of those slab-sided mules that you had to get their attention by hitting them in the side of the head with a 2x4.

Anyway, one day early in the morning they decided to take Heinie to town and sell him.

The old man and the young boy started to walk Heinie into town, and they came across these men standing on a porch drinking their morning coffee. The men seen them walk by and one said, "There goes two of the most stupidest people I've seen in my life!" "There they are walking, leading that mule to market, when at least one of them could be riding!" The old man didn't want to be considered stupid, so he swung up on Heinie and the little boy was walking beside them.

After a while, they came across this church where the ladies aid society was just leaving their meeting and one of the ladies said, "My heavens, I have never seen such a cruel old man in all of my life!" "There he is riding that mule and letting that poor little boy walk his feet off to the bone!" The old man didn't want to be considered cruel so he got down and put the little boy up on Heinie.

They walk down a little further and someone yells out, "Look at that mean little boy!" "There he is young and healthy, making that poor old man walk, he ought to be ashamed of himself!" The old man didn't want the boy to be considered mean, so he hopped up behind the boy and they began to ride double.

A little ways further, they come across this Veterinary Clinic, and some old lady who had a cat with distemper came out and said, "I have never seen anything so terrible in my life!" "There they are, two people riding on one mule, don't they know that they're going to hurt that mule!" The old man did not want to be considered terrible, so he and the boy got down off of Heinie, and they began to walk again.

Now they walk along another group of people and one yells out, "You know, they are walking that mule all the way to town, and by the time they get there, that mule is going to be useless!" "That's pretty dumb!" The old man and the little boy didn't want to be considered dumb, so they got under the mule and picked him up, and began to carry Heinie on their backs.

Next thing they come across is a foot bridge over a gorge, and they started to cross over this gorge and they hit a slick spot, and they lost their footing, they pitched Heinie over the handrail, and he fell 1,000 feet into the river where he died. THE END!

There is a moral: The moral is if you try and please everybody you will lose your Heinie!!

Those two should have known better when they got their Heinie up on their shoulders!!!

Back