Heckler & Koch 416 - How would You Rate it?

--

March 27th, 2012  
Abbadon2012

Topic: Heckler & Koch 416 - How would You Rate it?

I've heard some good things about this weapon. Better reliability than the M4/M16, for instance.

Can the resident gunheads chime in on this?

http://www.hk-usa.com/military_products/hk416_specs.asp
March 27th, 2012  
KJ

The US personel that got to play with it liked it for the most part.
Cost made it go away.

KJ sends...
March 27th, 2012  
Abbadon2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ
The US personel that got to play with it liked it for the most part.
Cost made it go away.

KJ sends...
OK. So Uncle Sam didn't like the price tag. But if you were planning an operation, like for black ops, you think it would be a choice pick?
--
March 27th, 2012  
5.56X45mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbadon2012
I've heard some good things about this weapon. Better reliability than the M4/M16, for instance.

Can the resident gunheads chime in on this?

http://www.hk-usa.com/military_products/hk416_specs.asp
Carried it, used it, don't like it.....

It's from H&K and it sucks in typical H&K fashion. They have managed to take a very simple thing and screwed it up. The Magwell is a different size and will not use Magpul Pmags, the piston system is a transplant from the H&K G36 system which isn't the most promising rifle out there. They took the Armalite AR-18 and threw it in plastic after the Cold War ended the the West German Republic took over East Germany. The G36 failed as a commercial product and they took the innards of that and placed it in a M4 Carbine.

H&K real gem of a rifle was the H&K G41 but it was priced a $1000 back in the late 1980s and that was some serious cash back then.

I have it's older brother.... the HK33.

March 27th, 2012  
Abbadon2012

This is the first negative feedback I've heard for the 416. What sort of weapon would you recommend, then, in the same class?
March 28th, 2012  
5.56X45mm

Quote:
This is the first negative feedback I've heard for the 416. What sort of weapon would you recommend, then, in the same class?
Any quality production Direct Impingement AR-15 carbine. The rifle and system has worked fine for the last fifty years and direct impingement has worked longer then that with other designs.
March 28th, 2012  
42RM

I like it in all ways. Have never used it operationally but those who had, praised this rifle.

The old G3 has always been one of my favorite weapons and when we train jungle warfare we always have one with us.
March 28th, 2012  
KJ

Quote:
OK. So Uncle Sam didn't like the price tag. But if you were planning an operation, like for black ops, you think it would be a choice pick?
For Black ops?
Do you mean the videogame?

Kid..
Lets set one fact straight.. You do not choose your ordonance after the color some novelist has put on your operation.
IF you have your choice of weaponry, wich very few have it simply comes down to a few simple factors.

1. What are you comfortable with that will work in the enviroment you are going into.

2. What firepower do your Team need?
---------------------------------------
THEN you look at the different extras..
Are you going to carry it around or do you forsee a mainly stationary post?
How long are you out, do you need batteries that you will have to carry that may run out?
How can you scale down on weight?
How can you scale down on the drawbacks for each individual terrain?
Should the missionplan go tits up, what type of terrain is there a possibility of you ending up in.
What are the criterias your weapon needs to fill there?
Plus half a dozen or so more factors..

You mash it all together and you find the best compromise you can for you and for your Team.

As for the HK 416.
I find it to be an excellent weapon that will keep working in some of the more harsh enviroments where the M-16/M-4 family of weapons will perform piss poor..
Everything is rugged and large enough to operate with gloves on.
As everything else it comes down to what you are used to and the above list of factors.

FWIW The G36C, G36K, and G36KE are used to this date by several SF units across the world.

KJ sends..
March 28th, 2012  
Abbadon2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ

Kid..
Lets set one fact straight.. You do not choose your ordonance after the color some novelist has put on your operation.
Well, that's why I consult with those who know their stuff. I don't want to half-ass it. And I appreciate your candor.

The query is connected to my writing...

My Novel - Wolf Company

OK...My team is small -- 5 men -- in the Phillipines, in and around Basilan Island. Tropical forest/jungle, and some mountain terrain. First up is recon, which may take a week or more. Ultimately, it will end up with a hostage rescue.

I've already got insertion/extraction/resupply worked out.

Resistance won't be more than sqaud level. Maybe 8 - 10 at most, with light weapons.

I'm perfectly willing to adjust detials to make it more plausible. I defer to the wisdom of those who know more than me.
March 29th, 2012  
HindStrike

Well what gun would you recommend then?