hearing issues

{CAP}Woodman

Hi, I'm intereste in joining the millitary, and have joined the Civil Air Patrol to help myself get ready for it. I am I am sort of pysicly fit(can do about 20 push ups, and about 50 sit ups. can run a mile/tops 2) If I know for sure I can join the military, I will step it up big time. I have hearing aids. Alot of people say I can't join, but I don't beleave they know the facts. Any help?

Regards,
C/AB Woodman

Hearing

The cause for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction is a hearing threshold level greater than that described in paragraph c below.

a. Audiometers, calibrated to standards of the International Standards Organization (ISO 1964) or the American National Standards Institute (ANSI 1996), will be used to test the hearing of all applicants.

b. All audiometric tracings or audiometric readings recorded on reports of medical examination or other medical records will be clearly identified.

c. Acceptable audiometric hearing levels (both ears) are:

(1) Pure tone at 500, 1000, and 2000 cycles per second of not more than 30 decibels (dB) on the average (each ear), with no individual level greater than 35dB at these frequencies.

(2) Pure tone level not more than 45 dB at 3000 cycles per second each ear, and 55 dB at 4000 cycles per second each ear.
from usmilitary.about.com

Its got a lot of medical stuff that's above my head. Since you have a hearing condition, you might be able to understand it. I hope this helps. In anycase, you should see what a recruiter says.

Doody

------------------------------------------

Here is something from http://www.healthyhearing.com

The Dept. of Defense has minimal fitness standards that must be met in order to enter military service. Waivers for hearing loss are not granted by USAF, although hearing loss may be waived by other services on very rare occasion. Consideration for waiver of hearing loss depends on the nature of the loss, severity of loss, and the military job that is being sought by the applicant (e.g., someone with hearing loss could not be a pilot, or work in jobs requiring acute hearing). Typically, hearing loss is waived for difficult-to-fill professional positions such as physician, nurse, lawyer, etc

Last edited:
Hello, Woodman, welcome to the forums, well, I am deaf, I really wants to join Marine really bad. I love to serve our country (USA). But they won't let me in cause I'm deaf and low arch. My friend in my unit Navy JROTC, he also is Hard of Hearing. He likes to join the Military, too. But he can't.

Well, it gotta to be ****s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fox said:
Hello, Woodman, welcome to the forums, well, I am deaf, I really wants to join Marine really bad. I love to serve our country (USA). But they won't let me in cause I'm deaf and low arch. My friend in my unit Navy JROTC, he also is Hard of Hearing. He likes to join the Military, too. But he can't.
Are you talking about me?

crap... So if I am hard of hearing, I won't be able to join a career ocupation such as the Army Rangers? aww damn.... sigh..... well I guess that life.

You're out alone with your Ranger buddy on an OP in the jungle... its pitch black and your nightvision equipment has failed. Its your turn to be up on watch while your buddy sleeps. You never heard the soldier behind you...:crybaby:

Do you see the logic in the denial of hearing impaired soldiers? The realities of the job do not allow for accomodating a handicap.

:sorry:

yea but see, with my hearing aids, I can clearly hear behind me and to my sides.

I play games with my brother in the pitch black. I hear him way before he hears me. Sometimes my hearing aids alow me to hear better then people, in crowded rooms.

I don't want to give up. Why can't we deaf or HH or low arch work in office for US military as a NON-combat

well, I'm not goning to work in the military as a non-combatant, because theres no way your gonna sit me behind a desk. BEsides, to spite bulldog, who kows how well tecnolgy will get better in the next 7-8 years, after I'm done collage and all that?

EDIT: I'm sorry about that bulldog

Last edited:
Listen not to be mean but let me be very candid with you cadet. The rest of society may have to pander to and make accomodations to those with handicaps but the military does not. It cannot afford weak links no matter how great a person you might be. This is reality. You would be a liability not just to yourself but to your team as well. Technology is great but it fails. Nothing is foolproof. I have empathy for you but you need to accept the fact that joining the military is not a right, it is a privilege and no amount of politically correct backpeddling is going to change the realities of combat and the fact that even someone manning a desk may be called upon to defend himself and his mates. This very fact seems to have been lost on the Nintendo generation already even after the highly publicised instances of supply and support troops being taken hostage and killed in enemy action in Iraq. PFC Lynch ring any bells?? Lowering the standards in effort to make everyone feel welcome will only result in getting people killed and thankfully there are people still in positions of authority on this matter with the backbone to stick to it.

I truly am sorry you were born this way but that is life. You can still make a contribution to society but the military is not it if you cannot make the standard. Even veteran soldiers, highly qualified and expert in their positions are drummed out of the service when they are no longer able to fulfil the demands of the service owing to whatever reason. Ask 5.56 or any of the other veterans just in case you think I am just being a prick.

I am too tall to be a submariner.

My eyesight is not good enough to be a pilot.

Accept your limitations and drive on. I admire your attitude of not quitting but this is one battle that is not able to be won.

Well, I guess thanks for your help, even tho that one kind of blew up in my face. I can still be a comercial pilot with hearing limitations? Also, I am not asking for help. I'm not asking anyone to bend over and help me because I have hearing aids. I cannot recail an instance where someone else had to give something up, (besides my inserince company :-D) for my hearing aids. Thanks for your help anyway.

A little gas for the fire.

I hate to piss on your rope - but - I believe that you will find that there is a minimum hearing range requirement for a "commercial" pilot. I don't know what the limitation range is before you ask. I do know that there are some pilots with hearing loss - but - the hearing loss is minimal according to the pilots that I talked to (I don't know where you fall in their requirements).

You have the belief that you can do ANY job you feel like doing and that society has to move over and allow you to do it. I'm sorry but life isn't like that. Any job where hearing loss can prevent you from carrying out your duties because of safety concerns WILL be closed to you no matter what your wishes in the matter are (the military isn't the only area closed to you).

That does NOT mean that there are no jobs suitable to the hearing impaired - far from it. There are a host of jobs where safety concerns do not impinge on the hearing impaired's ability to carry out the requirements of the job.

I grant you that you may NOT like some of the jobs that are left but I'm quite sure that there is a job out there that can fulfill your wishes.

Why are people assuming I'm that hard-headed?! I'm asking a question, I'm trying to make sure all factors are added in, and I want to make sure it is 100% no chance.

Hey man, the thing is, if I had the belief I could do any job in the whole world, whould I be on this forums asking? I may seem a little hard-headed, but its just that Ive wanted to bbe in the military for all of my life. Also, I'm not part of the nentendo gen, I spend my time reading books and watching the history channel.

Last edited:
Its not personal though I understand from your perspective its hard not to take it that way. I wish you luck and success.

Back