Health of Jailed Iranian Dissident Deteriorating

phoenix80

Banned
January 02, 2006
AFP

TEHRAN -- The wife of jailed Iranian journalist Akbar Ganji said that her husband's health has deteriorated after four months in solitary confinement. A number of Ganji's ailments have "worsened" and are being "compounded by a digestive disorder, while no treatment is being given to him," Massoumeh Shafiie told AFP by telephone.

She said she had visited him on Sunday, marking the third time she had seen the dissident writer since he was released from hospital and returned to jail on September 3.

Ganji, Iran's most prominent political prisoner, was sent back to jail from hospital after agreeing to end a hunger strike that lasted nearly two months.

"There has not been any positive change in his situation... he still weighs 50 kilograms (110 pounds)," she said.

Shafiie said she visited Ganji along with his daughters, mother, brother and lawyer, and that the visit lasted for about one hour.

"It was his 122nd day in the solitary cell and his second visit with our daughters during the past 130 days."

The dissident's wife also expressed worry about the judiciary's silence regarding previous speculation that Ganji would be pardoned before the whole period of his sentence comes to an end on March 21.

"Unfortunately, we have no news from the judiciary about his case and this makes us anxious and worried," she said.

Ganji, 46, was sentenced to six years in prison in 2001 after he wrote articles implicating several regime officials in a string of gruesome murders of opposition intellectuals and writers in 1998.
link to original article

By the world I mean the world public opinion. Go out on the street and ask people who Akbar Ganji is. Not sure many would know.
I would like people to join a mobilitation such as the one for the Nigerian woman who was spared from being stoned to death a while ago, if you remember.

You do realise that were I to join in such an effort from my current location you would soon be mobilising to have ME released from a Chinese jail.
:shock: And unfortunately my name just doesn't have the same ring to it as saying "Fear Akbar Ganji!!!" That has a certain ring to it, ya know but with my name, my real name, people will just think you're taking the piss or its some Monty Python revival.

I do hope he and the other political prisoners of Iran are freed but then angels in hell most likely desire ice water and both are highly unlikely to occur.

Ah ah. Well yeah I guess you're right but I was referring to public opinions from Europe, North America or other free countries.

...Tibet, Fa Lun Gong, Taiwan, Dalai Lama.... ssshhtt.

Italian Guy said:
By the world I mean the world public opinion. Go out on the street and ask people who Akbar Ganji is. Not sure many would know.
I would like people to join a mobilitation such as the one for the Nigerian woman who was spared from being stoned to death a while ago, if you remember.

http://releaseganji.net

According to one site, the only thing standing in the way of the Western Media really focussing a lot of attention on his case is President Bush. Because President Bush has called for his relase and has been outspoken in his favor, the majority of the Media sources from Europe and the USA will refuse to report anything about Ganji. They detest George W Bush, and whatever he stands in favor of, they will imediately denounce. Since this is something that would make them look stupid denouncing, they'll just sit quiet. So much for impartial/unbiased reporting in the "Free World".

I think that Ganji is a great litmus test for whether we can count on Iran to be human and reasonable. So far, they're failing that test.

godofthunder9010 said:
According to one site, the only thing standing in the way of the Western Media really focussing a lot of attention on his case is President Bush. Because President Bush has called for his relase and has been outspoken in his favor, the majority of the Media sources from Europe and the USA will refuse to report anything about Ganji. They detest George W Bush, and whatever he stands in favor of, they will imediately denounce. Since this is something that would make them look stupid denouncing, they'll just sit quiet. So much for impartial/unbiased reporting in the "Free World".

I think that Ganji is a great litmus test for whether we can count on Iran to be human and reasonable. So far, they're failing that test.

MSM hate whatever Bush likes

So far, they're failing that test

There are thousands of people like him in Mullahs prisons and milions of people like him hungry for freedom and democracy!

Watch this video

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=1467683

http://regimechangeiran.blogspot.com/2006/01/update-on-akbar-ganji-letter-from-his.html

Akbar Ganji's wife, Massoumeh Shafii, in an open letter, which described her husbands' gaunt body, pallor and ice-cold hands. Shafii calls this the heights of the rapaciousness of the power elite and the iron-fist of the Mullahs. She writes: "Go and see the political prisoners of the Islamic Republic and the physical and psychological state they're in; there's nothing left of them but skin and bones."

Advaar News, the news source from the office of Fostering of Unity distributed the letter that reads as such:

"On Sunday, January 1st, 44 days after the last contact or news from my husband, Akbar Ganji, we were able to visit him in Evin Prison. This was second such visit that my husband was able to have with our children and me in the last 130 days. Dr. Mowlaii, attorney, was also present. Akbar Ganji is currently in a high security prison, held in solitary 2A andhis condition is much like before: his food and medical situation is very limited and he weighs in at 50 Kilograms. His blood pressure is 7/5 over 5/5 and no positive changes have been made in his care. In fact he still suffers from the very illnesses as before and the lack of treatment and if that wasn't enough he is now also complains of some kind of digestive problems as well. One must ask the authorities about how they can legally justify holding Akbar in solitary rather than a public ward? If he is supposedly under the supervision of the Organization of Superintendency, then why is it that he is not being treated according to the rules of the prison systems? Why is he deprived of receiving proper nourishment, medically treated, having telephone privileges, regular visits with his family and attorneys, occasional furloughs...(according to the prison system regulations)?

Mr. Ahmadinejad, the President, has relinquished the judgment and assessment of a series of scientific discussions between Islamic and European thinkers, where human rights is concerned and the preparation of the report on freedom of speech, press and the topic of prisoners, to world opinion. I, as a citizen, commend this concept and recommend that the gleaning of information for this [human rights] report begin from the A2 solitary ward of "Guantanamo at Evin"; in view of the justice and kindness of the representative himself and in the presence of independent and objective photographers and journalists of course, the "exceptional" conditions of the prisoners and prisons of the Islamic regime that leaves nothing but skin and bones on it captives can be recorded and delivered for the perusal of the public for their opinions on how prisoners are being shackled simply for the expression of their thoughts and the press. Mr. Ahmadinejad, if you are sincere about your claim and are unafraid of the repercussions of this report heed this: actions speak louder than words (and speeches).

Where this situation is concerned you will certainly not be able to hide facts by giving the walls of the prison a couple of fresh coats of paint, sweeping and mopping the wards and issuing new prison uniform, a few days before the [media] inspection. All this as the sight of his gaunt body, his pallor and the touch of his ice-cold hands depicts, more than ever before, the height of rapaciousness of the power elite and the iron-fist of the Mullahs vis a vis their critical arbiters."

Back