Have we invented any defence systems against nukes?

I don't know if it has been made yet, but i saw something on the discovery channel about this plane they send up to the nuke while it is in the air, and it shoots some type of laser into it and disarms the nuke making it harmless.

Again i don't remember if it was just a theory from the USAF or if they actually have a prototype

k yeah i thought we had some kind of satelite which did something similar but i just wanna hear if there are actuall ones which people are sure we have or other prototypes

Aaron said:
k yeah i thought we had some kind of satelite which did something similar but i just wanna hear if there are actuall ones which people are sure we have or other prototypes
i heard of the stelite aswell

The satelite ICBM destroying concept was nicknamed Star Wars. Dunno how far we went with it. I know that the USA has been working on lots of concepts for missile defense systems. I wonder if there is a working prototype though.

yes there are two workable defensive systems against nukes...

one is a pre-deployment consignment of the weapons fabrication and possible fuel source facilities to the scrap heap. The israelis have had 100 percent success rate in employing this measure.

the other is the US money for weapons program. for a certain amount of money, the US will buy your old nuclear weapons and turn them into scrap. each weapon bought is 100 percent reduced from your opponents inventory.

other than that, there is no other nuclear defense that is 100 percent reliable. its not the nuke that is dangerous...its the delivery systems.

as long as your opponent chooses to deliver the nuke to you in a well reconized package, you have a chance of getting it. say like on a ballistic missile with a good reconizable thermal bloom at launch, and a reconisable launch container you can hit with a laser, a kinetic kill weapon, or an explosive before it delivers the payload. its when the delivery system changes to a non reconizable or familar form ( a car, a bus, a ship, a plane, or a human being with a backpack are some examples) is when all the sophistication and instrumentation in the world will not stop it.

Maybe with the implacement of good ole neutron detectors will will finally be able to screen for them...but for now its a very difficult task.

sorry to be so pestimistic...but...reality doth bite :D

The almighty ABL! :D

abl_takeoff.jpg

Basically it's Boing 747-400F, Just with added laser....
And it flies, and shoots down! :D And it's not a simulation. :D

02_27d.jpg

abl30.jpg

This is the basic scheme....

cutaway.jpg

thats kool i bet u australia hasn't thought of anything John Howard doesn't fund anything unless he can slap a GST on it thats why most people want him out

I think I saw something once where satellites in space had a weapon system that fired a huge spray of rockets at the nukes. If the barrage didn't destroy the missles outrigh , ent them horribly off course.

*Steps into the three day old topic*

I know one of the most fool proof defense systems, EVER!

Don't.. Anger.. Other.. COUNTRIES!

XD

No, but seriously -- That Jet, is God. I'd hate to be the guy flying it though.

i beg to differ.

for all its great aspects, its still a plane. with faults and human beings inside it. as i see it, its a flying target living on borrowed time.

other wise, it is a beautiful piece of technology. i hope the pilot..and the hand that pushes the trigger..are guided by god.

:D

Back