I have a relationship question.

Jmans

My name is Josh.
Im 18 years old.
and my girlfriend is pregnant.

My brother said that the military would be a great thing for me to do.
The only thing is she doesn't want me to because of the distance issue.

So with that is there anyway that i would be able to be housed here, or that we would be able to get her into a military housing close to the base i would be stationed at?

Another question, Would we have to be married for this to take place?

Please respond if you know the answers to these questions.
Thanks.

Join the Reserves and you can be housed at home except for your active duty requirements and deployments.

Go active and you have to be married to rate family housing.

How long would active be?

and would i be able to see her during this time period?
if so how often?

Hey Jman's

Here in aus it depends on what you join the army as to how long your active service comitment is,

Say you join as a rifleman, the minimum commitment after training is 4 years, as for housing and accomodation, same goes for here is aus you need to be married to get accomodation for yourself and your girlfriend =)

I wouldent be too concerned about the distance issue, im preety sure youre allowed constant email contact no matter where you are deployed and i believe you get 1 phone call per week where ever possible if you have dependants ( i.e. girlfriend)

you may be able to get away with getting a place because she will be one of your dependants, but you would have to talk to your local recruiting office about that one =)

one last thing, Congratulations on becoming a father mate =) give my best wishes to your girlfriend and i wish you all the happiness this world can give you.

Jmans,

In the USA you have to be married for you to get base housing, active duty in most cases will be 4 years depending on the MOS and Branch you join. Either way if you join and have a child you have to make your you have a care plan in place for the child and pay support until you are married. When you get married the Military will pay you more for being married and you can get base housing. If you are considering getting married and joining make sure you first both ok with the Military and she understands how it works. Years ago they did a stat and 85% of Military marriages ended in divorce after the first 3 years. Thats tough! Good luck and God Bless! remember in all this the child is the most imporant thing so do whats right for thi kid !

If it's taking care of your wife and kid that is number one in your priority and the military is the best opportunity you have, you should steer clear of any of the combat MOS and other MOS that is likely to see a lot of field time.

Don't join the military just because you knocked someone up and don't have means to support three mouths. The military is not social welfare. It is service to your country and involves ending life and sacrifice.

Join the military if you want to serve your country, not to save your own tailfeathers.

first off, congrats!

19 to be a father is one of the right ages, IMHO.

On your question can only comment for Germany (which won´t help you), but I am sure you find someone within the army to help you with your query.

Onwards!

Rattler

You could always join the Air Force and take the Services MOS. You'll miss 14 weeks total with your girlfriend, and that includes basic training (boot camp). But in order to get base housing you do indeed have to be married, I know that for active dute, guard or reserves I have no clue. Depending on your base too depends on how long it would take you to get a house. I got mine in less than a week at my base, but when my parents moved it took them close to a month.

But I do have to agree with bulldogg, don't join if you are just looking to save yourself. Military life is not for everyone and not that many people that join actually stay in. If you don't mind serving your country for a few try 4 years, unless you manage to pull an NCS enlistment of 2 years like I did. (National Call to Services). And if you do join, ask military people what it's going to be like, recruiters mask the truth alot.
Good Luck with the baby and I wish you a happy day

Don't join the military just because you knocked someone up and don't have means to support three mouths. The military is not social welfare. It is service to your country and involves ending life and sacrifice.

Join the military if you want to serve your country, not to save your own tailfeathers.

I agree, but if he joined out of necessity but still made the most of it and served with commitment, I think that would still be good. Of course if you sign up with a family, you have to make sure that they will also be taken care of regardless of your motivation to join.

Back