i have a question about UN soldiers - Page 4

--

June 10th, 2005  
jackehammond

Topic: Re: i have a question about UN soldiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
I was wondering if you know how you are sent to become a UN soldier, I've been trying to figure it out. I just wondered if you swore and oath to defend your country that doesnt mean the UN and their operations can you be held accountable for refusing to fight for them

Dear Member,

Your question is one of the standard "When did you quit beating your wife?" (the other is "Serve in Immoral Wars.") .

Reality for US military is this: The US Constitution states that international treaties that the US has signed and ratified are the "law of the land." After WW2 the US ratified the UN Charter. That treaty provides for UN military forces. And the US Supreme Court (ie in a case involving the Korean War) upheld that US military personnel could be used for UN military missions.

Jack E. Hammond
June 10th, 2005  
Strongbow

The UN soldiers are doing a great job in a very difficult situation in the Congo.

We should be proud of these guys.
June 10th, 2005  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow
The UN soldiers are doing a great job in a very difficult situation in the Congo.

They doing as much as can be expected of a person when you tie one had behind their back and send them into a gun fight and now allowing them to fire a shot.
--
June 13th, 2005  
Pete031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow

Yes we can be proud of the soldiers on the ground doing their job. Very proud. They are not the problem. The problem is the Political nonsense that goes along with U.N. Missions, such as ROE's and limitations of operations... Thats when the whole thing starts to get frustrating.