i have a question about UN soldiers

Last time i checked UN rules of intervention (sounds nice ey? And no i don't know if theres something called that but i use it as it sounds fancy ;)) the UN can only interven if a peece agreement between the fighting parties been signed, so for UN to be more "effective" you change that rule :eek:

AlexKall said:
Last time i checked UN rules of intervention (sounds nice ey? And no i don't know if theres something called that but i use it as it sounds fancy ;)) the UN can only interven if a peece agreement between the fighting parties been signed, so for UN to be more "effective" you change that rule :eek:

Also, the government of the host country needs to agree to the deployment of UN soldiers.

Borat Sagdiyev said:
AlexKall said:

Also, the government of the host country needs to agree to the deployment of UN soldiers.

Thank you for that one! :)

Samurai_Zero said:
doesnt it have anything to do with when it is a certain countries turn to be leading UN?

As of what i know the membering states cast a vote to pass or to dismiss a peacekeeping mission so im not sure it would do much difference, although i'm not entierly sure how the missions are brought up, if its the General Secretary that chose them or if its some kind of an idea thats brought up by one/several memberingstates including the general secretary.

IMO
For the UN to be effective there need to be alot of changes. First, every conflict around the world, regardless of nation of origion, is to be discussed by the UNSC. Then they should no longer need permission from the host country to intervene, but they must inform them why they are going in. They need a Force designed purely to go into a conflict zone, to stablise the area to make it safe for Aid Workeres and the like. They operate differently to peacekeepers because they create the peace first. Finally, they can conduct Weapons inspections without approval of the host nation, without prior knowledge of their arrival, no schedual provided by the host nation and can move around in unmarked vehicles so nobody with a pair of binoculars and a radio can see them coming at great distances.
These are just ideas, tear them apart if you must, but remember this is just my opinon.

Just one point

Just one point about serving under UN Command -

According to the US Army, you cannot refuse to serve under UN Command if your unit has been placed under that command.

If you want a reference - google for:

SPC Michael New

i served with the UN in east timor we had many engagements during the early Batts our ROEs were to engage if engaged apon and detain if in doubt during one patrol a kiwi soldier was shot in the head by a sniper who was later handed over to indonesian forces by his own people after a threat of NZSAS intervention in the area ,so you see there is not a clear line in the term "Peace keeper".

I think the term peacekeeper is misunderstood. The idea that you can train to 'peacekeep' implies nothing more than a glorified policeman. The UN website defines a peacekeeper as;

UN peacekeeper serves the United Nations in a specific mission area. His or her responsibilities are determined by the "mandate"--a definition of the tasks and goals of the mission-- formulated by the Security Council. The responsibilities of a UN military peacekeeper are primarily to maintain peace through patrols and observations. A military peacekeeper is still a soldier in his or her own country's service, and is responsible to his or her own national command, but serves under the control of the UN force commander--a senior military officer from one of the countries providing personnel for the UN mission

So peacekeepers NEED to be soldiers trained in and for combat operations that have the ability to 'keep the peace'. But they also have the responsibility to 'make the peace' depending on mandate and situation.

The fundamental basis of the UN was the five powers (essentially the main country/ combatants of the second world war) to establish an organisation to pick up where the league of nations left off (and failed...hence the second world war!!!). It recognises every country as equal regardless of wealth, resources or military power and that a country is sovereign. Sovereignty being defined as a recognised government etc... Should the UN be given the ability to get into a country to conduct 'weapon checks' etc without that countries knowledge would be the equivalent of spying and or invasion (depending on the means or the size of force). I agree that the organisation can move just a bit slowly and lacks the teeth at times, but the military force is limited by the mandate that they are serving under and their own governments restrictions. To move militarily on a sovereign country without their knowledge would imply that they are not considered sovereign and shouldn't be recognised in the first place! It would undermine the UN, it would fall by the wayside as the league of nations did.

Just my thoughts.

Renegade said:
I was wondering if you know how you are sent to become a UN soldier, I've been trying to figure it out. I just wondered if you swore and oath to defend your country that doesnt mean the UN and their operations can you be held accountable for refusing to fight for them

Dear Member,

Your question is one of the standard "When did you quit beating your wife?" (the other is "Serve in Immoral Wars.") .

Reality for US military is this: The US Constitution states that international treaties that the US has signed and ratified are the "law of the land." After WW2 the US ratified the UN Charter. That treaty provides for UN military forces. And the US Supreme Court (ie in a case involving the Korean War) upheld that US military personnel could be used for UN military missions.

Jack E. Hammond

The UN soldiers are doing a great job in a very difficult situation in the Congo.

We should be proud of these guys.

Strongbow said:
The UN soldiers are doing a great job in a very difficult situation in the Congo.

They doing as much as can be expected of a person when you tie one had behind their back and send them into a gun fight and now allowing them to fire a shot.

Strongbow said:

Yes we can be proud of the soldiers on the ground doing their job. Very proud. They are not the problem. The problem is the Political nonsense that goes along with U.N. Missions, such as ROE's and limitations of operations... Thats when the whole thing starts to get frustrating.

Back