Have the police overused deadly force? - Page 4

--
Have the police overused deadly force?

March 17th, 2006  
Marinerhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
I agree with you on that. But I guess that I take into account that not everyone has the high morals, the determination and the brains to sit that one thru. The way I look at your statement is that you set the bar real high and everybody who can't jump over it do that because of lack of effort. I can't see it like that. Maybe it's because I am a softy, I don't know, but I don't to qualify a grey area according to my specific standard. I hold your stepdad's effort in th highest regard and it shows a very strong character. But not everybody has what it takes......
You are right, not everybody has what it takes. But I feel the majority of people that look up and see the bar don't even try to reach it.

Back to the original topic, I apologize for getting off track. The availability of weapons plus the criminal's willingness to use deadly force is, I feel, is what accounts for the rise in the use of deadly force by police officers.
March 19th, 2006  
Ted

I'll use actual news because it suits the topic and also because it knda proves me wrong. We have had two shooting incidents in the last three days where cops used force against suspects. In both cases the suspect used force against the cops partner (knocking him/her out right of the bat) nad the cop responds with pulling his gun. In case 1 he shot one in the shoulder and knicked the other in the head. In case 2 they sent him to the morgue.
So times are changing one could say. But will see where it goes. Guns are not so readily at hand, but somehow the bad guys allways seem to have access to them.
March 20th, 2006  
Marinerhodes

I saw a video clip that was a very good example of escalation of force. essentially it amounted to a police officer pulling over a truck with driver and passenger. They both assaulted the officer, after a brief struggle the officer pulled his baton. The passenger pulled a shovel out of the back of the truck. At that point the police officer pulled his sidarm. This is an extremely condensed version but it makes a good point I think.

Pepper spray and tazers are well intended. But, pepper spray does not always work as intended and tazers are generally single targets only weapons.
--
March 20th, 2006  
Chief Bones

Mh
You are correct ... I have seen the same clip and it is an excellent example of the way escalation of force is supposed to be applied.

The problem is that sometimes that is not how it goes ... some officers automatically pull a weapon when faced with ANY force stronger than a 'bad' word.
March 20th, 2006  
Marinerhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Bones
Mh
You are correct ... I have seen the same clip and it is an excellent example of the way escalation of force is supposed to be applied.

The problem is that sometimes that is not how it goes ... some officers automatically pull a weapon when faced with ANY force stronger than a 'bad' word.
I think we would both agree that those officers are the rare exception and not the rule though eh Chief?
March 20th, 2006  
Ted

I remember of my time in California that cops always had their hand on their side-arm when approaching a pulled over car. This isn't unusual when you hear about officers being shot. That, luckily, is something we don't have here. But aggression is rising and I am curious whether or not this will be the next step in the Netherlands.
March 21st, 2006  
5.56X45mm

The most common death of a police officer in the United States of America goes like this.

1) Car Accident
2) Shot by their own weapon
3) Shot by the suspect's weapon

And most shootings happen when a car is pulled over. Police Officers are trained to always keep their wepaon close by. And they are beating that into my head everyday at the Academy.
March 21st, 2006  
Chief Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerhodes
I think we would both agree that those officers are the rare exception and not the rule though eh Chief?
I agree ... but ... it is happening way too many times for comfort ... I sure wouldn't want to be one of the people this type officer had pulled over ... would you?
March 21st, 2006  
Marinerhodes

Not particularly lol. But then again I usually demonstrate respect for officers even when they are being pains in the arse.
March 22nd, 2006  
5.56X45mm

If you want to see the good use of a CCW packing citizen in action. Check out this video.

http://media.putfile.com/How-To-Make-Swiss-Cheese80