Do you have a pet?

Charge 7

Master Gunner
Responding to the "what did you get for Christmas" thread gave me the idea for this one. I always thought you could tell alot about people by their pets (though one shouldn't go into generalities).

When my fiancée and I got together we each had three pets so now we have six. I call it our "menagerie".

Mine:

Odin, 4 year old German Shepard (my 6th and best by far)
Hop Sing, 8 year old Tonkinese cat (cross between a Burmese & Siamese)
Mai, 5 year old Tonkinese cat (Hop Sing's daughter)

She has:

Billie, 5 year old German Shepard/Beagle cross
Wyatt, 4 year old Bassett Hound/Labrador cross
Hazel, 2 year old tabby cat

My wife and I have a big Weimeraner named Ronan -- He's not overweight, but he's bigger that Weimies are supposed to be. Just over 29 inches tall at the shoulder and 100 lbs. He's 100% and inside dog too. :lol:

Riggs- 100+ pound yellow laborador.

All he does is fetch, its crazy, and gets annoying. I've had like 7 cats but they all run away or the kid up the road shoots them with his .22, I guess felines just get bad luck in my family. :cowb:

My mom has 2 rabbits that roam the house freely :shock: They are nearly 2 years old and are brother&sister

7 Cats ( 2 mine, rest my moms)
2 Dogs ( neither Mine)
1 Hamster and rabbit ( both my brothers)
some fishes ( my sisters
a bird ( mine)
and thats about it

A 100+ lb Alaskan Malamute named "Shadow". She is getting older though, she'll be 12 in January. She still looks beautiful, but she has slowed down considerably...poor baby.

I have a kitten (Hershey) and a puppy (Yatou) both born in April 2004. Got the kitten early June and the puppy late June. It's really fun to watch them grow up together (well almost). The cat is about 10 lbs and the dog 8 lbs, both about their full size.

I just want to say I am never (well I say that now) getting a puppy again. I can't deal with the stress of potty training them ($33 dryclean the comforter everytime an accident happens). Kittens are fine, they know how to use a literbox pretty instinctively (or maybe I am just lucky). Puppies are different.... god I hope I don't go home to a pile of poop today after work :roll:

Yes there is that problem alright. There is with children too though so if you think of it from that perpective it may be easier to deal with. Dogs have a greater committment to us than cats. We must have a greater committment in return. Not saying those that have cats are uncaring at all just that in having a pet there is a level of committment that is voluntary in the greater sense - do I get a pet at all? and obligatory in the end result if you decide yes. What level of committment suits your living situation is what should determine what kind of pet you have. The fact that we live in a much faster paced world now in the US is why the cat has replaced the dog since 2000 as the most popular pet in the country. The fact that the most popular dog in the US is the toy poodle nearly echoes that. I have been fortunate to have dogs in my life I loved dearly and cats as well, but if I could have only one it would be a dog hands down. Not only because of the strong interpersonal relationship but because the dogs my family has bred since 1948 are German Shepards and in that time frame I and my family members have had our personal safety and our very lives saved on numerous occasions by them. For me, the first occasion was when I was an infant and the family dog pulled my basinet out of a jet of live steam that had started to hit it from a broken wall radiator. He got to me just as my mother heard the noise and entered my room. I was spared a severe scalding or death. I could name many other occasions. No burgler alarm system or anything else save a dog is gonna do that except of course a human being.

godofthunder9010 said:
My wife and I have a big Weimeraner named Ronan -- He's not overweight, but he's bigger that Weimies are supposed to be. Just over 29 inches tall at the shoulder and 100 lbs. He's 100% and inside dog too. :lol:

i own two books on Weims and i have read a book strictly on training dogs in general. As some of you know i will be going to Recruit Training at Paris Island in feb and thus i know that i cannot commit to taking care of a dog. I researched breeds and temperaments of dogs and i visited a few kennels and breeders in my LIMITED area. I think Weims are absolutely georgeous and i love an active dog. When i get into my MOS training i will start saving up to buy a pure bred Weim pup. I am fully aware that there are Weim crosses that are already alive that i could take care of but i have always wanted a dog that grew up with me and that i had a "history" with. All of you that have formed a friendship with an animal be it dog cat rabbit hamster chipmunk or snake are very lucky. I will keep you updated with my Marine Training and my pet status as well!

oh and btw * :eek:fftopic: sorry about the ranting!!

Back