Who have you looked up to?

Focus Fate

Long story short, my schools taken me out and put me in tutoring for all of the second term, I was hating the idea of it but then I met my tutor. He's a former Marine. He's an older guy and he's "old school" Marine. He was telling me some of his stories from basics (he did officer training program) that were pretty funny. I told him about how I got arrested and he's done a lot of asking around about if I can still get in and wants to see me get in, he's really cool. He's cracking down on my bad habit's of doing homework and the one on one stuff is really helping me out. I look up to him quite a bit.

So has anyone else had a teacher or tutor or instructor ect. that was ever in the military that was pretty cool that they looked up to?

ive not really had anone like that...ive had my dad..but hes a computer person/manager so i cant really be inspired by that lol...

I wrote mine for a college entrance essay assignment...

If we were to make a scrapbook of our lives, the hundreds of people that float into and out of our brief existences, and the impact they have on us, would be reflected within the pages. There will be many pages full of group photos, featuring the brief acquaintances and backstabs, but the more significant people in our lives will occupy multiple pages of their own. One of my honored occupants is my squadron commander, Captain Raymond Keasler, CAP.

First impressions mean everything to many people, and that given to the other cadets was not one that I needed. My long hair, jeans, American Eagle shirt, and clogs were contrasted significantly to the BDUs and combat boots surrounding me. My lack of comprehending which way was right and left didn’t do me any good on the drill pad, either. To many, I was seen as someone who would never make it in the squadron, which was almost entirely devoted to hardcore camping and training. Captain Keasler looked past my inexperience and intimidation to see potential and an incredible will to succeed.

As time has passed, my respect and loyalty to Captain Keasler has only grown stronger. There have been activities that left me swearing I would never sleep on the ground again, but he convinced me into going to General Emergency Services training. I am now well on my way to becoming a Ground Team Member. When he requested that I take on the task of training a Color Guard for the Cadet Competitions, the fact that I had never seen a color guard perform, and only five weeks, seemed very insignificant. As an inexperienced Cadet Staff Sergeant, I took on the job of Cadet Commander. A task requiring great patience and almost impeccable leadership skills, as well as the responsibility of training those beneath me, it has been one of the most challenging of my career. However, throughout the experience, Captain Keasler has supported me with every step I have taken.

Captain Keasler is one of the many unsung heroes of the world. He would never appreciate my using him as a topic, for the sole reason of modesty. However, there is no other person to credit the maturity and responsibility I have gained in my life. While there may be times I hear his plans and wonder what has come across him, my loyalty for Captain Raymond Keasler, CAP, has never, and will never, falter.

PO mcrobbie, i still do.
He served as a rating on one of the ships that sunk in the falklands, cant rem the name, will find out.
Good guy.

My grandfather. He was in the British Merchant Navy for the duration of world war 2, anti submarine duty. Moved to Australia, started a life here, became an author and has just published his 38th book. He's 92 years old, but he's still strong as an ox, and has much drive. He cares for his 5 acre property daily, walks a few miles a day (just for the benefit of the dog he says). Plus he is an all round nice guy, with great morals, great stories to tell and a heart of gold. I look up to him. I always will.

the people i've always looked up to are soldiers as well. I sometimes went with my dad when he had duty and listening to those guys you'd find that they are some of the biggest softies around. but they act so tuff and hard, but in all actuallity, they are pretty cool people.

I have looked up to my grandfathers both served in the military during WW2. And both did right to everyone they came across in there life. Great men both of them.

Love ya both rest in peace.

A lot of you have mentioned grandfathers. I look up to mine a LOT. He's funny and really cool.

He fought in Korea in the US Air Force. He was part of the Third Air Sea Rescue. (I believe the 2nd Squadron). He was a radio operator on his plane. They flew out, landed in the water and rescued downed pilots. He was a Corporal durring that but when he retired from the Air Force he was a Chief Master Sergeant! :shock:

my two youth group leaders:
the guy was an army major, she was a naval captain

they are two of the coolest, strongest people i know, they are awesome

and they are getting divorced, so im rather gutted at the moment. they have two kids aged 7&5
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh
stressed

Well my grandfather was a Major in the air force during WW2. Strangley i've never looked up too him. I rather look down on him. Well never mind, I think it would be my brother. A civilian walking in military cloths :D He's always been my idol though even when he didnt work for the military :)

First and foremost, my father. He was a Marine during WWII and served from Guadalcanal to Iwo Jima where his wounds finally took him out of action. Dad grew up without a father in an orphanage because his mother had died in childbirth when he was only 2 years old and my grandfather was a carpenter. In those days carpenters had to travel around alot to make a living though he did visit my father once or twice a month. Dad survived that and polio. Polio has two variants the kind that kills you and the kind that cripples you. He had the kind that kills you and it very nearly did. His wounds in WWII put him in a body cast for a year and a half. They said he'd never walk again, never have children, and die before he was 50. Well he walked, he had five kids and made it to 71 though his wounds did eventually lead to his death. To me he was the last casualty of WWII. His own father lived to be 95 so I think he'd still be here if not for that. He was a strict father but a loving one. I towed the line but I never had a question as to why. In all my childhood he only ever spanked me twice and I deserved it both times. Most of the time his laser beam eyes of ice blue were enough to forstall any bad behavior and when it did not his voice could make you wish he _had_ spanked you. I grew up knowing what respect was all about before I ever went to boot camp. He did many things for others. Among them was providing free fuel oil to heat the homes of poor little old ladies in the days before heating subsidies. That was during the energy crisis when the family business was hanging by a thread (home fuel oil). He was also the wisest man I ever knew and he left me with many words of wisdom but the finest of all were these, "You come into this world with nothing and you leave it with nothing. The only thing that matters whether you were here at all is the impact you have on the lives of other people." When he was dying dad asked that as the last of his children still in uniform that I wear my dress uniform to his funeral as a symbol of what he was all about - service to others and honor. When taps played I came to attention and rendered my salute as they fired his three volleys. It was the hardest salute I ever held but I held it for my old man. Oliver Wendell Holmes said "The world knows nothing of its greatest men." and such a man was my father.

George W Bush is and will be a hero in my eyes for a long time ahead. He broked status quo and did something that will be in the history books for many years and generations ahead. A great man in a great country. I am looking forward for the next step in his war against terrorism. A man with Iron balls thats for sure, but a heart of gold, God bless the President of the United States of America, god bless the People that actually have some far-sighted abilitys that voted him in to office again.

On second place my grandfather, fighter in the Winter War. 8)

Cheers:
Doc.S
:viking:

We live in interesting times.
Usually times like these when heroes are born.
But as with so many heroes, we'll only get to know them after their death.

Back