Who have you looked up to? - Page 2

--
Boots

December 22nd, 2004  
Trevor

Scott Daniels, one of my best friends, and former chief of my squadron.
December 22nd, 2004  
AlexKall

Well my grandfather was a Major in the air force during WW2. Strangley i've never looked up too him. I rather look down on him. Well never mind, I think it would be my brother. A civilian walking in military cloths He's always been my idol though even when he didnt work for the military
December 24th, 2004  
Charge 7

First and foremost, my father. He was a Marine during WWII and served from Guadalcanal to Iwo Jima where his wounds finally took him out of action. Dad grew up without a father in an orphanage because his mother had died in childbirth when he was only 2 years old and my grandfather was a carpenter. In those days carpenters had to travel around alot to make a living though he did visit my father once or twice a month. Dad survived that and polio. Polio has two variants the kind that kills you and the kind that cripples you. He had the kind that kills you and it very nearly did. His wounds in WWII put him in a body cast for a year and a half. They said he'd never walk again, never have children, and die before he was 50. Well he walked, he had five kids and made it to 71 though his wounds did eventually lead to his death. To me he was the last casualty of WWII. His own father lived to be 95 so I think he'd still be here if not for that. He was a strict father but a loving one. I towed the line but I never had a question as to why. In all my childhood he only ever spanked me twice and I deserved it both times. Most of the time his laser beam eyes of ice blue were enough to forstall any bad behavior and when it did not his voice could make you wish he _had_ spanked you. I grew up knowing what respect was all about before I ever went to boot camp. He did many things for others. Among them was providing free fuel oil to heat the homes of poor little old ladies in the days before heating subsidies. That was during the energy crisis when the family business was hanging by a thread (home fuel oil). He was also the wisest man I ever knew and he left me with many words of wisdom but the finest of all were these, "You come into this world with nothing and you leave it with nothing. The only thing that matters whether you were here at all is the impact you have on the lives of other people." When he was dying dad asked that as the last of his children still in uniform that I wear my dress uniform to his funeral as a symbol of what he was all about - service to others and honor. When taps played I came to attention and rendered my salute as they fired his three volleys. It was the hardest salute I ever held but I held it for my old man. Oliver Wendell Holmes said "The world knows nothing of its greatest men." and such a man was my father.
--
Boots
December 24th, 2004  
Focus Fate

Charge, your dad sounds like he was an outstanding individual God bless him, and great story!
December 24th, 2004  
Doc.S

George W Bush is and will be a hero in my eyes for a long time ahead. He broked status quo and did something that will be in the history books for many years and generations ahead. A great man in a great country. I am looking forward for the next step in his war against terrorism. A man with Iron balls thats for sure, but a heart of gold, God bless the President of the United States of America, god bless the People that actually have some far-sighted abilitys that voted him in to office again.

On second place my grandfather, fighter in the Winter War. 8)

Cheers:
Doc.S
December 24th, 2004  
A Can of Man

We live in interesting times.
Usually times like these when heroes are born.
But as with so many heroes, we'll only get to know them after their death.