Have you changed your discharge?

Ex-Navy cobra

I'm wondering if there's anyone here who has succesfully had their discharge changed from an OTH to an Honorable? If so, please give a few details if you could.

I'm in the process of trying to do it but I'm having a problem with the paperwork. If it's been longer than 15 years since your separation, they ask on the paperwork "I believe the record to be in error or unjust for the following reasons:" Well, I just don't know what to put there. The military was fully within it's rights to discharge me for a pettern of misconduct. However, does anyone have any ideas what to put there? It's been 19+ years now.

*Mods, if this has been adressed already, please direct me in the right direction. I did a search, but came up short.:???:

I believe you have to petition the respective service Department for a change of Conduct of Service.

I believe you have to petition the respective service Department for a change of Conduct of Service.
This IS part of it. I already have my DD form 149. I just need help in filling it out. It may sound basic to some of you guys, but one of the boxes has me frustrated. Box number 6. It states "I believe the record to be in error or unjust for the following reasons:"

Well, the Navy was fully within it's rights to discharge me for a pattern of misconduct. I went to captains mast for the following reasons:

1) Drinking underage on the base (result-30 days of Correctional Custody Unit and reduction in pay by 1/2 for 3 months)
2) disobeying a lawful order (reduction in pay by 1/2 for 3 months.)
3) Being across the Tijuanna border past the 8:00pm curfew. (discharged with OTH)

Yes, I was a little booger...Always into trouble, but never into drugs. Always into alcohol, but never drugs. Well, I kept my nose clean other than the occasional speeding ticket since I've been out. It's been 19 years now since I got out....I have learned a lot, and now want to regain my honor and serve again.

Ok, per my DD 214,

Character of Service: Other Than Honorable
Separation Code: GKA
Reenlistment code: RE-4
Narrative Reason For Separation: Misconduct - Pattern Of

Dates of time lost during this period: None

VFW can help you? Huh....I always thought they only helped the vets of Forign wars....Like Korean war vets atc. Interesting.

Of course if are a VFW, I would assume they would help you even more but I think they would help you anyway because your a Vet. They seem to have more clout than the American Legion.

I am not saing the VA doesn't or wouldn't , I amjust sayin the VFW would most likely assist with that as well and they have much political clout.

I'm fairly positive a guy in my unit had his original discharge upgraded from General - under honorable conditions to an Honorable through the VA. He got himself out on a General because Army decided to send him some place he didn't want to go and they "promised" him some place else when he first got in. Got into the Guard on a waiver and then contacted the VA to get his discharge upgraded.

VFW can probably help, but I believe the VA is the normal route to do this.

The people I know that have done that said the VFW speeds up the process, that's why I suggested them.
Now THIS is good info to know. I'll pay the VFW a visit on Monday. Any idea who I should talk to? Or just show up to their office and walk in and start askin questions? LOL

I don't know, I didn't have to do that but I would definitely suggest going there and ask what to do who to talk to? Might wanna call before you go, I would.

Vet Information

I am an auxiliary member of both the American Legion and the VFW. Anytime I have had questions dealing with military paperwork (my grandfather's and my husband's), I've spoken with the post commander. Both times, they pointed me in the correct direction. ;-)

Back