Do you have a boat?

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
I had a chap come into my shop a while ago carrying an old 11mm Mauser, and Muzzle loading musket and a Martini Henry, all had parts missing and rusted to hell and back. Basically they were all junk.

He laid them on the counter and asked how much they would be worth (I suspect he thought he was going to pay his house off from the proceeds).

I asked him if he wanted the truth or a load of crap, he replied he wanted the truth.

I asked him if he had a boat, he blinked and asked what owning a boat has to do with the weapons in question.

I replied, “Well, if you had a boat you could weld these together and use them as an anchor.”

He picked his “treasures” up and stormed out of my shop, he hasn't been back since.

He wanted the truth and thats what he got it.

Why is it that some gun owners are convinced that their old pieces of junk are really priceless "antiques".
Like 80+ year old (cheap when they were new) "Leige" single shot .22 rifles owned by Grandpa, with not a skerrick of rifling left, and numerous barrel bulges where bullets have lodged in the barrel then had another fired on top of them, are bought in and you are told, "This rifle shoots better than any of that new crap" whilst vaguely motioning towards a rack of BRNOs, "Grandpa never missed a shot with this rifle.

My answer was usually along the lines of, "Well, if we weld the bolt closed, it might make a half decent tent peg"

Last edited:
The biggest idiot in the world (well maybe not the biggest but close enough) is someone who tries to fool an expert. Or try to educate someone who knows when they themselves haven't got a clue.
I've had people say:
"Have you put bullets into a magazine before? It's real hard!"
"You know when you're not going to fire you have to have your finger off the trigger?"
"You know you're only supposed to point your weapon at something or someone you intend to kill?"
Why not just go ahead and read me the A B C book.

jesus, you must get some reyt idiots. i'm tempted to try and join a shooting club round here, it's something i want to try tbh

Back