Have you been to Poland ?

Padre

Milforum Chaplain
Charge 7's WWII French "Papers Please" post reminds me of a story I heard when I lived in Rome, and that was verified when I met Bishop John Jobst in Broome, Australia.

Every five years Catholic bishops have to meet the Pope in Rome and report on the state of their diocese. This meeting is called an "ad limina."

Bishop John Jobts of Broome Australia, but born in Germany, visited John Paul II for his first "ad limina." He was in a long line of bishops seeing the Pope. His turn came and they got talking and Bishop Jobst seemed very well informed about Poland, so the Pope asked him: "You know Poland well my brother, have you been there?"

"Yes Your Holiness," replied Jobst, "I was through there in a panzer tank in 1939."

The Pope went wide-eyed and, in German, called to his secretary - Monsignor Dziwicz: "Next!"

Bishop Jobst was amused the encounter had been repeated, but added the Pope saw the humour in it.

:tank:

AmericanSweetheart said:
I'm having a blonde moment I guess...

Well, Pope John Paul II was born and raised in Poland and the Bishop, John Jobst was part of a German Panzer division that occupied Poland. They were former enemies.

Back