Hating America key to Nobel Prize

bulldogg said:
God of Thunder, I would like to pointedly ask where you have come across this conclusion that the international community prefers democratic presidents as they "they can be counted on to not behave in an aggressive fashion internationally"? What a load of crap bruv. Have you forgotten the presidencies of FDR, Truman, Kennedy, LBJ and Clinton in this line of reasoning. In fact the ONLY president who fits your assertion is Carter.
Care to clarify?
Its a trend that I've noticed with every conversation I've had with people who are from any nation outside the USA. They inevitably have more badmouthing and insulting things to say about a Republican President. This is not always true, but its a very strong bias that I've noticed. China might be an exception because it was Nixon who turned US/Chinese relations 180 degrees, leading to significant cooperation between the two nations.

Europeans (in general) greatly prefer Democrats and more often than not, act exactly the same as a staunch Democrat in their closedminded rejection of all Republican actions/anything and acceptance of Democrats' actions/etc. As with most rules, its not absolute, and mostly based upon my own observation. Numerous members of this forum, especially those from European countries, have had a lot to say about their nations being too Liberal and too blindly in agreement with the Democratic party of the USA in general.

Which Nobel prize is being lambasted here because I would like someone to explain to me how the hatred of America would play into the Nobel prize for economics given to John Nash? Or the Nobel prize for physics or medicine?

Are you all just on about the Nobel prize for peace??

Or are you smoking some genetically modified hemp?
cool-smiley-027.gif

My comment was of a general nature. As I had stated:

Quote:
"FACT:
Past selections have shown (for anyone willing to "look") that those who have an extremist view critical of the US government or US policy are selected for certain Nobel prizes more often than those who support or advocate US policies and the US government."

======================================================
It could very well be a coincidence (I don't know.)

It just seems very strange to me that so many nominees and winners of the Nobel Prizes have such extremist views of America and it's policies. Statement was general in nature and was NOT used to indite, it was used to point out an interesting fact (that's all).

FACT:
The subject of this post in case you have forgotten is:
"Hating America key to Nobel Prize"

I thought my statements added to the discussions (nothing more - nothing less).

There is more than one Nobel Prize. In fact there are several in many different disciplines. Hence my post.

http://nobelprize.org/

NOBEL PRIZES 2005

Physics
Optics
Roy J. Glauber »
John L. Hall »
Theodor W. Hänsch »

Chemistry
Reforming Molecules
Yves Chauvin »
Robert H. Grubbs »
Richard R. Schrock »

Physiology or Medicine
Bacteria and Ulcer
Barry J. Marshall »
J. Robin Warren »

Literature
Playwriting
Harold Pinter »

Peace
Nuclear Disarmament
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) »
Mohamed ElBaradei »

Economic Sciences
Game Theory
Robert J. Aumann »
Thomas C. Schelling »

Last edited:
Europeans (in general) greatly prefer Democrats and more often than not, act exactly the same as a staunch Democrat in their closedminded rejection of all Republican actions/anything and acceptance of Democrats' actions/etc.

You probably are right about this. In Holland we can identify ourselves way more with the likes of Clinton and Carter then Reagan and the Bush's. But it is exactly the reaction to this observation that makes us even more weary of republicans. Suddenly we are extemists, hating the US etc. It is this type of populism that we (at least I) dislike. It is so easy to talk in sound bites and very good for getting elected. Unfortunalty I'd like to know the ins and outs before making a decision. The total absence of any nuance in Bush's jr. remark that "you are either with the US or against the US in the war on terror" set a lot of angry blood overhere. Why is it so wrong, extremist or stupid to want to know the whole picture? Things aren't black or white when it comes to international relations. But that rarely sinks in, at least so it seems.

But does that make his work any less? What is he writes so well that (objectively) he deserves an award like this? The fact that he dislikes one country should automatically disqualify him from international recognistion?

i think he is a cheap writer!

Eurowhinnies give such prestigeous awards (be it Nobel or Cannes award or any thing else) to likes of Pinter, Mike Moore et al

Not to generalise or anything if the US and by the US I primarily mean George Bush jnr/snr and co did less to p**s off the world then you would probabally get less critiscism!
Now I dont know the ins and outs of US domestic policy (or UK for that matter), so I have no idea wether he is doing a good job and looking after people over their. What we tend to see over here is the usual aggressive stance of they have bigger weapons than us cant let them do that bomb them, right next!

Iraq is prime target when it all kicked off the faithul puppy dog (Blair) followed which sent a lot of British (and american) troops to death for what??? Dont give me that whole freedom of Iraq speech crap either, heard it and not interested. Should of said that from the start instead of making up a load of bull about WMDs that didnt exist.
The war on terror cmon there is only so much we can do pro-actively to stop terrorists, and by telling them what we are doing and when we are doing it, we give them a headstart to bag their bags and dissappear.
Osama Bin Laden will be crowned again this year 2005 world hide and seek champion.
So what if it seems like the anti-Americans win nobel prizes who cares, how many other people do you see complaining because someone from their country had something nasty written about them or their country?
And you have the nerve to call Europeans whiney!!!!

phoenix80 said:
i think he is a cheap writer!

Eurowhinnies give such prestigeous awards (be it Nobel or Cannes award or any thing else) to likes of Pinter, Mike Moore et al

Ehh, Micheal Moore also got an oscar, but I reckon the Hollywood-ness makes it less prestigious. And, but you guessed that already, Oscars are given by Euroewinnies. :shoothea:

Chief Bones said:
My comment was of a general nature. As I had stated:

Quote:
"FACT:
Past selections have shown (for anyone willing to "look") that those who have an extremist view critical of the US government or US policy are selected for certain Nobel prizes more often than those who support or advocate US policies and the US government."

======================================================
It could very well be a coincidence (I don't know.)

It just seems very strange to me that so many nominees and winners of the Nobel Prizes have such extremist views of America and it's policies. Statement was general in nature and was NOT used to indite, it was used to point out an interesting fact (that's all).

FACT:
The subject of this post in case you have forgotten is:
"Hating America key to Nobel Prize"

I thought my statements added to the discussions (nothing more - nothing less).

Roger that, just wondering ;) :)

Ohh! I like the new christmas smilies :D

bulldogg said:
Which Nobel prize is being lambasted here because I would like someone to explain to me how the hatred of America would play into the Nobel prize for economics given to John Nash? Or the Nobel prize for physics or medicine?

Are you all just on about the Nobel prize for peace??

Or are you smoking some genetically modified hemp?
cool-smiley-027.gif

You didn't read the original post did you? Tsk! tsk! tsk! What AM I to do with you Mr. B? Now, in your books, turn to page 1 and.....

This year's winner, Harold Pinter, loathes America in a way that would make Hugo Chavez blush.
In his recent Nobel lecture, Pinter compared the United States to the Soviet Union-a regime that killed up to 40 million of its own people. Then Pinter took it a step further by lamenting the fall of that evil regime since Stalin and his type provided "constraint" against US policies.
Pinter then described America's foreign policy this way:

"It means that you infect the heart of the country, that you establish a malignant growth and watch the gangrene bloom. When the populace has been subdued - or beaten to death - the same thing - and your own friends, the military and the great corporations, sit comfortably in power, you go before the camera and say that democracy has prevailed."

Zyonchaos, Europe has had to confront terrorism for a lot longer time that the USA, Britain especially. Some approaches have sortof worked but most have not. The current US approach is something that's never exactly been tried. Its also gotten a lot of people very angry.

Michael Moore is such a complete idiot that is blows my mind that he ever got anything but deported. Hollywood is liberal to the point that many Democrats are embarrassed by them. But the point is taken: US policy has plenty of criticism within the USA and we shouldn't demonize everyone with something negative to say about what we are doing currently. Its counterproductive and not terribly polite.

In case anyone was wondering, I'm neither Democrat nor Republican. I prefer to think of myself as a free thinker who doesn't need a political party to think for me.

I'm not very familiar with Pinter, but everything I've seen/heard here would indicate that he absolutely hates the USA.

Last edited:
Godofthunder

Your arguement is correct, but your mistaken in one detail. France has the longest history against Islamic extremism. France's struggle against instead started way back in the Algerian War. Britan is reletively new to the war, in fact Britian new anti-terrorism laws this year are based on the French model.

Ted said:
Ehh, Micheal Moore also got an oscar, but I reckon the Hollywood-ness makes it less prestigious. And, but you guessed that already, Oscars are given by Euroewinnies. :shoothea:

LoL... Read again, I was talking about French Movie award in Cannes

Actually, Cannes is an ancient Icelandic curse word but can be loosely translated as "those who have absolutely zero abilities in judgement of the merits of animated pictographs." :twisted: :lol:

I know Cannes is in France Phoenix. But I was referring to Micheal Moore getting prestigious prices. And so it seems not only by Eurowhinnies... that's all :)

Back