I hate guns... - Page 2

--
Boots

December 16th, 2008  
Rob Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
What I noticed is that once kids reach about 14 or 15, it's already kind of late. You have to get them sorted before that age. If they have no sense of discipline, duty, work ethic and a decent moral standard, chances are it's going to take a LOOONG time and perhaps a few tragic events to make them adopt those characteristics from then on. At around high school age, trying to change them will only make them angrier and more confused. Punish them when they f*ck up but generally this is when people should get their foot off the gas for a bit and let them figure it out for themselves. Remember, it's in their genes to rebel at this moment. Don't give them something to rebel against. Just make sure you get your crap sorted BEFORE the hormones kick in.
Quite honestly, if you get them sorted before the rebelling age, they won't rebel... I mean, sure, I "hated" my parents during my middle school/freshman year of high school, but I wasn't a bad kid... I was an angel compared to some kids... Mouthing off to their parents, cursing them, fighting them (like physically), moving out on their own.... It was scary to me how bad those kids were... My parents raised me right, and my most drastic "rebellion" was getting a hair cut...
December 16th, 2008  
The Other Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieMSG
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one TOG.
When a 16 year old f's up. It is usually the parent or parents who bear the burden of helping or raising the child. In many cases this add a strain on some households that they simple cannot afford.

In most cases there is not the social stigma attached to a teenaged/unwed parent. When you have little girls (10 years old) saying that they want to have a baby so they can get a check every week, something is really wrong with society.

Too many times parents dont or wont take the moral education of their children seriously. They expect the state to take care of it (moral education) and when something bad happens they insist on another program to "educate" which doesn;t worth either. Kids need to understand that there are rules, and when you break the rules there is punishment usually of the form of the @ss whooping that you and I agree on.
this is why adopions are avaliable, along with abortions. The likelihood of a 16 year old really wanting a kid are slim anyway.

I've honestly never heard that before, but I hope I never do.

I understand the need for rules and law, but this should let up once the teenage years begin. I believe that below there everything that is done must be done by the parents. I dont' mean beatings constantly, but if I were a parent I would not be afraid to use force to get my way. With luck, the kid would catch on pretty quickly and by the time he was 8-9 problems with parents would be virtually nonexistent. But my point is in agreement with you; it's not the state's job to raise your kids.
December 17th, 2008  
A Can of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Henderson
Quite honestly, if you get them sorted before the rebelling age, they won't rebel... I mean, sure, I "hated" my parents during my middle school/freshman year of high school, but I wasn't a bad kid... I was an angel compared to some kids... Mouthing off to their parents, cursing them, fighting them (like physically), moving out on their own.... It was scary to me how bad those kids were... My parents raised me right, and my most drastic "rebellion" was getting a hair cut...
I didn't rebel much during my teens either. Didn't mean I wasn't a pissed off individual, but just didn't rebel much at home. It was only after high school that things fell apart. It didn't have much to do with hormones, rather than actual conflict. I think my parents mistook it as hormones but when they saw it wasn't wearing off by my 26th birthday, I think they finally got the message.
--
Boots
December 17th, 2008  
HokieMSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy
this is why adopions are avaliable, along with abortions. The likelihood of a 16 year old really wanting a kid are slim anyway.

I understand the need for rules and law, but this should let up once the teenage years begin. I believe that below there everything that is done must be done by the parents. I dont' mean beatings constantly, but if I were a parent I would not be afraid to use force to get my way. With luck, the kid would catch on pretty quickly and by the time he was 8-9 problems with parents would be virtually nonexistent. But my point is in agreement with you; it's not the state's job to raise your kids.
Adoptions are available, but not easy or cheap.
16 year old kids usually don;t have kids by choice.
Laws do start in the teenage years. At 18.
Our society has become too tolerant. Tolerant in the sense that bad behavior is not punished and good behavior is not rewarded.
December 19th, 2008  
papasha40

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Guy

It certainly is not the states job to raise kids. But it certainly is their job to protect children from abuse.
December 23rd, 2008  
The Other Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasha40
It certainly is not the states job to raise kids. But it certainly is their job to protect children from abuse.
As I've said before, regular beatings are just cruel. But when an *ss whooping is called for...
December 23rd, 2008  
A Can of Man

We've gone overboard with protection of children and now they're growing up (and I am using this term lightly) thinking they're entitled to the whole world and that they are the master of the universe though their arrogance and lack of discipline has armed them with the intellectual capability of a sea urchin.
December 23rd, 2008  
BritinAfrica

I had an amazing firearm in my hands this morning. The owner wanted me to identify the firearm for police registration. It was a 9mm Parabellum P08 built by DWM in 1911, it was captured by his great uncle during WW1 in Tanganyika. On the front strap was Stamped “Sch D.O.A. 57” or Schutztruppe Deutsch Ost Afrika, I haven't been able to I.D. the number 57. Every part has matching numbers, but is missing the loading tool and cleaning rod from the holster.

The mans great uncle was wounded, ended up in Britain and after recovering from his wounds, joined the Royal Flying Corps flying Sopwith Camels. Three days before the war ended he went on an operation and disappeared.
Interesting stuff.
December 23rd, 2008  
SHERMAN

An armed scoiety is a polite society.

I am a liberal in many ways. Im pro free choice on abortions, gay right to marry eache other, and so on.

Which is exactly why im against over zealous gun control.

If your sane, dont have a criminal record, and want to own a reasonable weapon(Not a M240, for instance), you should be allowed to own it. When normal people dont have guns, they are going to be pushed around by criminals(who will always have guns). They are also incapable of fighting the governent if it comes to it.
December 24th, 2008  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
I had an amazing firearm in my hands this morning. The owner wanted me to identify the firearm for police registration. It was a 9mm Parabellum P08 built by DWM in 1911, it was captured by his great uncle during WW1 in Tanganyika. On the front strap was Stamped “Sch D.O.A. 57” or Schutztruppe Deutsch Ost Afrika, I haven't been able to I.D. the number 57. Every part has matching numbers, but is missing the loading tool and cleaning rod from the holster.

The mans great uncle was wounded, ended up in Britain and after recovering from his wounds, joined the Royal Flying Corps flying Sopwith Camels. Three days before the war ended he went on an operation and disappeared.
Interesting stuff.

Now that is a weapon I would give anyone's left testicle to have (except my own, I am attached to them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
An armed scoiety is a polite society.

I am a liberal in many ways. Im pro free choice on abortions, gay right to marry eache other, and so on.

Which is exactly why im against over zealous gun control.

If your sane, dont have a criminal record, and want to own a reasonable weapon(Not a M240, for instance), you should be allowed to own it. When normal people dont have guns, they are going to be pushed around by criminals(who will always have guns). They are also incapable of fighting the governent if it comes to it.
You know you are absolutely correct in all but one area, politeness through fear is not genuine.

Now here is a question for you, we both agree that sane people with no criminal record should be allowed to own weapons but who should determine the criteria and policing of those restrictions?

I for one do not believe that the retailer is the right person to be carrying out these checks.