I hate books

Bullpup_seven

Knowledge gained from EXPERIENCE is better than knowledge gained from BOOKS.

Different experience gives Different adventures. Adventure is a challenge in life. By challenging your self you learn more. We learn as your doing something.Listening to other peoples opinons makes us think more. As we think we avoid to make the same mistakes.

Ofcourse we can master new things by Reading and from Experiences. We get knowledge from both.BUT It is better to learn by Its hard to figure it out.

Books give one persons oppinion. You don't learn how to type by reading Long discriptions in books do you?
Experiences Help more. You actually figure it out what is wrong and what is right by doing experiences.

Knowledge gained from experience is more important than knowledge gained from books. Books are Authors oppinion. By getting experience you can figure out what is wrong or right. By reading books you just get authors opinion.

Therefore

We learn more by doing something instead of reading BOOKS.

So what about nuclear physics BP_7? Do you want someone learning through experience how to make a nuclear reactor next to your house whereby their mistakes would be catastrophic??

That's a little extreme, bulldogg. Word to the wise, don't solder alone if you've never done it before. especially if you're joining 4 things.<< case in point. LEARN about something that's potentially dangerous before PARTAKING in it. Hunting, fishing, soldiering, these are no exceptions.

bulldogg said:
So what about nuclear physics BP_7? Do you want someone learning through experience how to make a nuclear reactor next to your house whereby their mistakes would be catastrophic??

Well no - its not good someone experiencing Nuclear physics -
But learning through experiences are more realistic.
People who study nuclear physics surely will learn from the books first then make a move.If Nuclear Physics happens at least people learn what it really happens . ofcourse wedon'twant to die.

Bullpup_seven, you are right about learning some things by experience. But, those things are limited by a lot of variables. For instance, learning outdoor life such as hunting, fishing, woodcraft. These are things easy to learn by experience because of your Human instincts. Most mechanically inclined people can overhaul an automobile engine by just reversing the process of disassembling one. There are trades one can learn by working for a master of that trade for many years.

While this type of education may be fine for someone who doesn't intend to be a Scientist, Engineer, Architect, College Professor, Doctor, well you know, the people who are paid big bucks. But, if you set your mind to a career in a professional field, you will be required to exchange ideas and learn new things.

Books, all books, are history books. Even a physics text book is about ideas and experimentation where someone has written about his or her experience in that field. That book is not someone's idea on what he thinks but what he has experienced, this is imperical data which is written for you so you can skip all the mistakes that person made and learn what made his work successful.

Who knows, in a life in the outdoors, it might be handy to have a book on what kind of snakes and spiders to avoid.

It also depends on the person, Bullpup. Some learn better from experience, known as the Haptic, kinaesthetic or tactile learners. Others can learn by seeing pictures of what they are studying, these are the visual and that includes those who are print oriented and can learn soley on reading. Then there is the auditory group, those who learn by noise, music and talk. Not to mention there are those who learn by a combination of all three. But really we all learn things in those three ways, the situation depends on which is a better or safer way to learn.

sometimes books are better..

say for example, I am reading a book called "The crusades and the holly land", now how can I get that info from somewhere else? experince?

so there is different situations really..

Believe me, sometimes it's a whole lot better to be self taught (autodidacticism) than to take a teacher's "lecture" (i.e. factual information with the occasional ranting opinion). You get the same thing in books sometimes, but the trick is this- dissect the useful information, form your opinions, be able to argue them, and believe in them. Otherwise, you fall into the pit of "too much opinion, too little information." You start assuming. Don't make that mistake.

Sure, writers can be opinionated. But more often than not those guys writing the editorials for TIME and other such publications have an inkling of what they're talking about, and where do ya think they got it? Books and other media. Don't knock it until ya try it:)

I fall into the autodidadidia....what he said. Anyway, Many things I have done in life are due to learning by experience. Most times though I have read or had some kind of instruction before going through with the 'experience'.

Don't automatically assume that because Joe Schmoe made it look easy that it really is. He can maybe do math in his head and cut the wood by eye. Well he more than likely learned it in a book AND by experience. Don't cut the book smarts short.

I am not saying that books are bad.

I personally don't enjoy reading books . And that is how i think about books.

But - when you face a choice of learning something new by book or experience and all things being equall, experience is a better teacher .
When your active you understand things easily and efficiently - you are able to remeber things more by experience. When your reading a book you just go trough sometimes with out understanding.

MightyMacbeth said:
sometimes books are better..

say for example, I am reading a book called "The crusades and the holly land", now how can I get that info from somewhere else? experince?

so there is different situations really..
\

- Yes i agree
ofcourse You cant get history from experience
its obvious

Bullpup_seven said:
I am not saying that books are bad.

I personally don't enjoy reading books . And that is how i think about books.

But - when you face a choice of learning something new by book or experience and all things being equall, experience is a better teacher .
When your active you understand things easily and efficiently - you are able to remeber things more by experience. When your reading a book you just go trough sometimes with out understanding.
You're still missing one very important factor, the person. No heart beats the same.

Number Seven
IF (and again I say ) IF you really hate books then I really feel sorry for you. Books are not JUST for learning knowledge.

Have you ever wondered what it was like to be the first man on the moon and be able to be THE FIRST MAN to place his footprints in the millennial old dust of it's surface? How about the thought of going through a wormhole in space and observing the strange and wondrous intermingling of colors fading to grey? How bout taking a raft trip down the Mississippi with Huck Finn?

I could sit here for the next 365 days and come up with all sorts of possibilities for stimulation of the human mind and spirit and EVERY SINGLE one of them would be straight out of a book. Not one single book would be of a technical or conventional "text" book for learning. In my library, books are categorised by Science Fiction, Western and Other. Whether it's a story straight out of someone's fertile imagination or an autobiography about one of the world's leading steel magnates, every single word out of books are grist for the imagination.

I could also sit here for the next thousand years and come up with ideas and possibilities straight out of my own fertile imagination.

When you lose the love of reading, you have just shut out an entire world of imagination, wonder, travel, experience, adventure and just plain fun.
I could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

I have made virtually 10,000 friends in my life and have never been any closer to them than the printed word on a page of a book.

:read: Don't close the door of imagination - books are the door to a well rounded and sound mind and to a whole new world of wonder.

My library has over 3,000 books in it.

Last edited:
The problem with your Argument BP_7 is you can't possibly expirence everything.

History is the best example. You can't expirence history. You can re-create it after consulting books, but you cannot expirence it. So in that aspect, Books are the only too gain knowledge.

Now I agree, knowledge gained from expirence is terrific, but if that is the only way you learn, then you will have limitations. You will most likely learn only enough to survive or do things basically. Without consulting books, or the internet, your education and expirence can only go so far. Im sure everyone can think of many eamples of that.

Marinerhodes said:
I fall into the autodidadidia....what he said. Anyway, Many things I have done in life are due to learning by experience. Most times though I have read or had some kind of instruction before going through with the 'experience'.

Don't automatically assume that because Joe Schmoe made it look easy that it really is. He can maybe do math in his head and cut the wood by eye. Well he more than likely learned it in a book AND by experience. Don't cut the book smarts short.

besides, from what I understand, book smarts gets you women, but I can't personally say that's true.

Chief Bones said:
:read: Don't close the door of imagination - books are the door to a well rounded and sound mind and to a whole new world of wonder.
I agree with that and everything else in that post, Chief. It's hard for me to go a whole day with out reading for at least an hour or more.

As Chief Bones said earlier, books is just another great source for enlightenment..

True that I might not read books alot, but it depends on what it is. Do i have an interest in the topic? am I motivated? etc..

Also, I personally like someone to read me the book, that way, I could say for example ask and get to know more, but still, thats from a book..

Then when you develop your skills, and read more than one time, you can feel that you are actually learning .

Back