Has no one seen this?

Nice idea. Problem is that after the politicians decide to order the cheaper version, and cut budgetry borders, the thing will probably have the radar signature of the USS Nimitz!

There will be no cheaper version, it allready been ordered. Think it was four of those that was ordered. Its operational this year, actually its allready operational but they are not owned by the Swedish militray yet.
It is due to be delivered this year :D

well after a little visit to the site, the following items struck my eye:

The vessel is built of sandwich-construction carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP). The material provides high strength and rigidity, low weight, good shock resistance, low radar signature and low magnetic signature.

The material dramatically reduces the structural weight (typically 50% of a conventional steel hull). This results in a higher payload carrying capability, higher speed or longer range.

Well this is very good...in a way. as long as this ship runs and fights back, everythings ok...right up until the first lucky shot hits it. Now for those familialer with this type of construction, you know that you have to repair it by literally baking the repair so it once again forms the seamless electronic deterent it once had...other wise you lose the stealth and the strength characteristics of the original panel.

once again..i say the first lucky shot...because stuff does happen.

It had better be fast and manuverable... :)

The camoflague on reminded me off the way they painted WWI warships with weird shapes and patterns and colors in a theory that submarines wouldn't be able to tell where important parts of the ship were and what direction it was going. Didn't work though. I couldn't find a a really good picture of the absurdity and loudness of the WWI camo though, that was closest I came.

The type of camoflauge that involves the stripes and such was called dazzle camoflauge..the type of painting on this corvette is not dazzle but more like fractal or surface break up..just like those urban combat uniforms.

BTW, that ship dispicted is from WW II..and dazzle camoflauge did work, otherwise they wouldnt have continued to use it. it was when radar was introduced in WW II that trying to distract a human eye by illusion no longer worked...the radar would show the ship as a blip and all

http://www.hazegray.org/features/bb55/bb55_33.jpg heres a link to the haze gray page on the USS Carolina notice her break up camo in gray in blue

FutureRANGER said:
The camoflague on reminded me off the way they painted WWI warships with weird shapes and patterns and colors in a theory that submarines wouldn't be able to tell where important parts of the ship were and what direction it was going. Didn't work though. I couldn't find a a really good picture of the absurdity and loudness of the WWI camo though, that was closest I came.

I could scan a picture of the zebra cammo, i think thats the cammo you mean, its nothing like that one ;) And that zebra cammo is real confusing, it looks weird.

Its what i call it, dazzle or what it was named

Actually the purpose of that camoflage technique was to make it difficult for a U-boat's crew to gauge the speed and even direction of travel through a periscope, rather than actually hiding the ship.

Just wanted to try and sound smart :lol: .

Hey, I did say I was just trying to sound smart now, stop raining on my parade. :lol:

Guess I missed that.

Back