Has no one seen this?

--

April 14th, 2004  
AlexKall

Topic: Has no one seen this?

http://www.kockums.se/SurfaceVessels/visby.html ?
April 14th, 2004  
Redneck

Neat toy for the Swabbies.
April 15th, 2004  
AlexKall

Yeah! I will have one im my bathtub to play with
--
April 15th, 2004  
gjc

Nice idea. Problem is that after the politicians decide to order the cheaper version, and cut budgetry borders, the thing will probably have the radar signature of the USS Nimitz!
April 15th, 2004  
AlexKall

There will be no cheaper version, it allready been ordered. Think it was four of those that was ordered. Its operational this year, actually its allready operational but they are not owned by the Swedish militray yet.
It is due to be delivered this year
April 16th, 2004  
Thorin

Topic: .

Kockums make great subs
April 16th, 2004  
Mark Conley

well after a little visit to the site, the following items struck my eye:

The vessel is built of sandwich-construction carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP). The material provides high strength and rigidity, low weight, good shock resistance, low radar signature and low magnetic signature.

The material dramatically reduces the structural weight (typically 50% of a conventional steel hull). This results in a higher payload carrying capability, higher speed or longer range.

Well this is very good...in a way. as long as this ship runs and fights back, everythings ok...right up until the first lucky shot hits it. Now for those familialer with this type of construction, you know that you have to repair it by literally baking the repair so it once again forms the seamless electronic deterent it once had...other wise you lose the stealth and the strength characteristics of the original panel.

once again..i say the first lucky shot...because stuff does happen.

It had better be fast and manuverable...
April 16th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

Reminds me of this. http://www.shipcamouflage.com/images...1_Yarnall2.jpg
April 17th, 2004  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureRANGER
How? :P
April 17th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

The camoflague on reminded me off the way they painted WWI warships with weird shapes and patterns and colors in a theory that submarines wouldn't be able to tell where important parts of the ship were and what direction it was going. Didn't work though. I couldn't find a a really good picture of the absurdity and loudness of the WWI camo though, that was closest I came.