Has Iraq demolished the British Armies military reputation?

Perseus - I agree. I have tried to make my point. I'll lay that down and let the discussion continue unhindered.

And you have my hand friend.

I'm sure everyone is tired of this bickering and the thread is in danger of getting locked. Shall we leave it for any constructive comments which answer the questions?

Civilians looking down on and complaining about the military is nothing new. Look what your fellow countrymen wrote:

Tommy
I went into apublic-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up and sez "We serve no
Redcoats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled
fit to die,
I outs in the street again an to myself sez I:.......​

.......For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an
"Chuck him out the Brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country," when the
guns begin to shoot;
Yes it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an'
anything you please;
But Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool-you bet
that Tommy sees!​

From the Book "Barrack Room Ballads"
by Rudyard Kipling​

British troops officially ended combat operations in southern Iraq today, handing over control of their base in Basra to US forces. The British prime minister said "Today Iraq is a success story. …. "Britain can be proud of our legacy that we leave there.'"However, I don’t think many people believe this, least of all the insurgents and our American colleagues." qoute perseus

So why was Iraq a monumental **** up for the British, what went wrong?

Was the British Army's equipment up to scratch, or should Britain have provided civilian aid more quickly?

Here are the orginial questions from the first post with my answers:

1. Has Irag demolished the British Armies military reputation?
No.

2. So why was Iraq a monumental cockup for the British?
Wasn't according to the Prime Minister.

3. What went wrong?
In any military operation of this length many things will go wrong. The question is a little vaque.

4.Was the British Armies eguipment up to scratch?
Hopefully the British Government did all they could to properly supply their troops.

5. Should Britain have provided civilian aid more quickly?
That is a government decision and not up to the military to decide. Therefore has no bearing on the topic.

I dont think the British Armies' reputation was dented in Iraq. Britain fought against terrorism, so how does it dent their reputation. They did a good job in Afghanistan also, so im proud the US had help in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I come across this story this morning.

Helicopter was 'cut and shut' - MoD

The Ministry of Defence has admitted one of its helicopters used in Afghanistan was a "cut and shut" combination of two aircraft.

The front of the twin-engined helicopter is from an RAF Chinook which crashed in Oman in 1999 when its rear blades touched the ground, ripping out one of the engines.

The rear of the aircraft was taken from a former Argentine Air Force Chinook helicopter which was seized in June 1982 during the recapture of the Falkland Islands.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the helicopter was air-tested successfully and re-entered service in 2003.

The MoD disclosed the helicopter's past in a letter to Ian Sadler, whose 21-year-old son Jack, a trooper in the Honourable Artillery Company, was killed by a mine in Afghanistan in December 2007.

Mr Sadler, from Exmouth, Devon, has been fiercely critical of the inadequate equipment provided to British troops.

An MoD spokesman said using parts from two helicopters was "the most timely and cost effective solution" to returning the aircraft to service while ensuring its "structural integrity and safety".

He said: "The work was conducted by highly skilled aviation technicians and the aircraft returned to service after extensive air testing and signing off by the Aircraft Design Authority, Boeing. Like all aircraft in the fleet this aircraft is routinely inspected to ensure its continued integrity. The aircraft has operated satisfactorily as part of the Chinook fleet for over five years since completion of the repair with no adverse impact."

The spokesman said it was "routine business" for the RAF to ensure the most effective use of resources.

Mr Sadler told the Western Morning News the helicopter was an "insult" to soldiers. He said: "Everyone I have told about the helicopter being a 'cut and shut' has responded with disbelief. It is penny pinching and an insult to the young men who are going to Afghanistan and risking, and losing, their lives. It's disgusting the way they are treating these young soldiers."

Somehow I cannot see the RAF doing that unless there is a critical shortage of suitable aircraft.

When I was in the Far East we werent issued L1A1 SLR rifles until 1968, until then we were issued 303 Lee Enfields.

Last edited:
Yeah sure...

The situation in Irak completely destroyed UK's reputation...

Even I think that I can take out a whole british battalion with my fork at the breakfast...

Nah, just kidding, dont send the SAS.

We all know that the situation is very complex in Irak. We cant compare results like that.

Every mission is different.

And I dont think that the Brits had as many vehicules, soldiers, equipment as the Americans...

Back