Has GW Bush done anything right?

View Poll Results :Has GW Bush done anything right since assuming the office of President of the United
YES 17 54.84%
NO 10 32.26%
UNDECIDED 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

March 9th, 2006  
Chief Bones

Topic: Has GW Bush done anything right?

NOTE: Votes are NOT secret - who is voting what is being recorded for information purposes.

I have been sitting in front of the television watching one of the 'Talking Head' programs and suddenly thought to my self:

Has GW Bush done anything right since assuming the office of President of the United States?

My problem is that I don't know of any way for me to answer this question without being accused of bashing GW Bush. He sits in the Whitehouse and makes all of these grandiose decisions based on non-existent information (or) at best, incomplete or inaccurate information and then spends the next six month trying to justify his decisions against absolute proof that his decisions were decided on will-o-the-wisp data or mounts an all out attack/offensive against anyone that publicly opposes his decisions.

Just a few of his decisions for you to look at and comment on:

1) Aftermath of 9/11.

2) War in Iraq.

3) War on terrorism.

4) Policies affecting Afghanistan.

5 Tax cuts for the very richest groups.

6) Stance on Patriot Act.

7) Wiretapping American citizens without court order.

8)Policies on outsourcing and free trade agreements.

9) Opposition to ANY probe of wrong doing on the part of Republicans and Whitehouse Administration staff.

10) Actions (or) inaction prior to / during / after Katrina.

TRY TO COME UP WITH THINGS WHICH YOU BELIEVE HE DID RIGHT ... I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO COUNTER YOUR OPINIONS ... SO ... BE FOREWARNED ... I PERSONALLY THINK THAT IF HE DID ANYTHING RIGHT, IT WAS BY ACCIDENT
March 9th, 2006  
Whispering Death

He had a pretty darn good first term.

His second term has been... rather... sh*t. This is partly due to his mistakes in Iraq in his first term but mostly due to decisions he's made since November 2004.

He handled the economy very well, waged one of the most successfull and innovative wars of all time in Afghanistan, prevented any further terroist attacks, and made the correct decision to invade Iraq given the information our supposed intelligence services provided (intelligent in name only).

How he will be graded overall once the 8 years are completed has yet to be seen, but he has made a number of very good decisions and a number of very bad ones as well.
March 9th, 2006  
Chief Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
He had a pretty darn good first term.
made the correct decision to invade Iraq given the information our supposed intelligence services provided (intelligent in name only).

How he will be graded overall once the 8 years are completed has yet to be seen, but he has made a number of very good decisions and a number of very bad ones as well.
One of the pieces of information which has surfaced since he made the 'public' decision to invade Iraq is the information that he 'may' have been looking for an excuse to invade Iraq as revenge for Saddam's plan to assassinate his daddy (Bush Sr.) ... based upon testimony of those that were sitting in on meetings with GW. I don't know where you would include this piece of trivia as part of his 'correct decision'.

As far as the intelligence services, Bush has fought every attempt to hold the intelligence community responsible for the 9/11 debacle ... the information was there to have foreseen 9/11 and they dropped the ball .. to date no Intelligence Department Head has been dismissed with 'prejudice' .... (fired).

SO MUCH FOR MOST OF YOUR REASONING. TRY AGAIN......
--
Boots
March 9th, 2006  
phoenix80

I voted Yes and I hope others do the same!
March 9th, 2006  
sunb!

I am undecided as US politics and Bush are profiled mainly on the negative issues in Norwegian media. I am sure he has done something right - he can't be that bad, can he?
March 9th, 2006  
chinese-canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix80
I voted Yes and I hope others do the same!
dude...if this is your answer for a professor's question in my class..you will be kicked out right away

at least provide some supporting evidence

I voted yes for several reasons

His war on Taliban was a right move, and effectively shattered a crucial base of global terrorism.
His war on Iraq was a right move in general, despite the fact that he presented a crappy case in front of the world (kind of his style, Bush's language expression is not that great)
March 9th, 2006  
Chief Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC
dude...if this is your answer for a professor's question in my class..you will be kicked out right away

at least provide some supporting evidence (I agree ... at least post reasons to support your vote).

I voted yes for several reasons (at least you reasoned out a response).

His war on Taliban was a right move, and effectively shattered a crucial base of global terrorism (I can partly agree on this one ... but ... I think this is a case of accidentally making the right decision ... Bush is NOT smart enough to have reasoned this one out for himself) ... he had a lot of help on this one.

His war on Iraq was a right move in general, despite the fact that he presented a crappy case in front of the world (kind of his style, Bush's language expression is not that great) (I can support the war in Iraq ... but ... I still think the real reason for his decision was out of revenge).
As I stated before ... I am looking for reasons why you voted as you did ... non-answers are not appreciated.

AFTER ALL - THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A POLITICAL DISCUSSION.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunb!
I am undecided as US politics and Bush are profiled mainly on the negative issues in Norwegian media. I am sure he has done something right - he can't be that bad, can he? (I can buy your statement ... but ... I am still interested in ANY opinion you MAY have on this issue).
March 9th, 2006  
phoenix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinese-canadian

at least provide some supporting evidence

I voted yes for several reasons

His war on Taliban was a right move, and effectively shattered a crucial base of global terrorism.
His war on Iraq was a right move in general, despite the fact that he presented a crappy case in front of the world (kind of his style, Bush's language expression is not that great)
fortunately, you are not that professor
March 9th, 2006  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Bones
One of the pieces of information which has surfaced since he made the 'public' decision to invade Iraq is the information that he 'may' have been looking for an excuse to invade Iraq as revenge for Saddam's plan to assassinate his daddy (Bush Sr.) ... based upon testimony of those that were sitting in on meetings with GW. I don't know where you would include this piece of trivia as part of his 'correct decision'.

As far as the intelligence services, Bush has fought every attempt to hold the intelligence community responsible for the 9/11 debacle ... the information was there to have foreseen 9/11 and they dropped the ball .. to date no Intelligence Department Head has been dismissed with 'prejudice' .... (fired).

SO MUCH FOR MOST OF YOUR REASONING. TRY AGAIN......
Come on Chief Bones, you're a smart guy so take a look at the issue again. I'm not a bush guy. I'm an atheist college student that loves tons of premarital sex and makes sure every chick I'm with would have an abortion if the condom broke. A "values voter" I am not.

But you tell me Afghanistan wasn't a phenomenal campaign? That's one.
The economy has turned around. That's two.

And please please tell me you predicted 9/11. On 9/10 if you handed me that memo saying "Bin Laddin is going to destroy twin towers" there isn't anything I could have done about it. Why? BECAUSE I'M NOT NUTS ENOUGH TO THINK OF FLYING AIRPLANES INTO BUILDINGS. No one pre-9/11 was that nuts!

On Iraq; even if he was looking at the country pre-9/11 I'm not against that. We have been continuously at war with Iraq since 1991. We just had a cease fire that was periodically interrupted by them shooting at our planes and us bombing them.

Now you tell me you are sitting in that White house and the chief of the CIA walks into your office and tells you Iraq has all these horrible chemical and biological weapons. When you ask him how sure he is he responds, and I quote Tennet, "It's a slam dunk Mr. President."

Now you tell me you would risk the lives of tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, maybe even in the millions of American lives after 9/11 when the guy in charge in intelligence puts that in your lap. You tell me you would do different.

Bush is a stubborn a**hole who doesn't want to deal with the press or the American people. That's why he glossed over Tennet and gave him the meddel of freedom... pardon me while I puke. That's why he doesn't give a damn about what the average American thinks about issues. And that's why he's been such a failure in his second term.

Even in 2004 I would have voted him out if we had a halfway decent canadite but instead I had Kerry... *pukes again*. But, Chief Bones, just because he's an a** this month doesn't mean he never did anything good ever.
March 9th, 2006  
Ted

Quote:
Has GW Bush done anything right since assuming the office of President of the United?
What kind of question is this? Obviously he has done something right! If you use words like "anything" or "nothing" in your question, you automatically rule out all other options! He probably had lunch on more then one occasion without spilling coffee on his shirt, so he did that right. And there are a list of many things he did right. But if you refer to his policies only, then you narrow down the scope of your question and you give opportunity to more specific answers.