Has GW Bush done anything right? - Page 2

View Poll Results :Has GW Bush done anything right since assuming the office of President of the United
YES 17 54.84%
NO 10 32.26%
UNDECIDED 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

March 9th, 2006  
ASTRALdragon

I voted UNDECIDED because I believe that he has done some good and quite a bit of bad, but he still has 2 years left in his term so I'm gonna give him a benefit of a doubt. Some things he has done good: War on Terror (you gotta admit that the war has greatly crippled al-Qaida and various other terrorist organizations), not backing down to North Korea, Afghanistan (my cousin has served over there for the last 1 year and 2 months and he's told me in many emails that the general population over there appreciate what the US has done; how girls can attend school now, people have a LOT more freedoms [even to protest against the US], and how the people are feeling like they are getting a good footing into the global community), and Bush has been pretty good at feeding jokes to Leno and O' Brien [the guy's an idiot with words I know...].

BAD: federal deficit.... OMFG 8 trillion?!! we owe ourselves money?!! WTF is that?!! trade surplus with China?!! I do not like owing anyone anything especially if that anyone is the corrupt oppressive government of China!! I think we should have gone after Iran before Iraq. Bush's foreign policy sucks ass in general I know. His spending is outrageous and I hope he does not lead this great nation towards the deep end. I want the US to remain at #1 for as long as I live. I want our allies to be close with us too!

Well sorry I can't write more but it's 2:30 AM and I have class at 8 AM.
March 9th, 2006  
Marinerhodes

Without quoting facts and pointing to specifics:

Yes, I believe that GW Bush has done good things. I believe he has also made some bad decisions. Do I think he has done absolutely nothing right? No.

Politics and getting people to do what you want when you have so many different people to please and appease is difficult at best.

Congress backed him on the war in Iraq and on Terrorism etc. So you can also place blame for any new laws and any "bad things" at their door step too. After all, didn't they have to agree on the new laws?

Laying all the blame for the way the country is ran at one person's doorstep is ridiculous when there are so many other people included in the decision making process. We all already know that GW Bush is not omniscient. He is a man, like any other, that is prone to mistakes. His mistakes tend to be alot bigger and have more impact than your average person's mistakes is all.

So my vote is yes, he has done good things. He has also done bad things. But there are more people responsible for both the good and bad than just him.
March 9th, 2006  
mmarsh

Bush is so totally incompentant, he makes James Buchanan look bad. I could go on and on about what Bush has done wrong but since that would take a 1000 page manuscript I'll just limit myself to the things to what other people believe he's done right.

Afganistan. First of all it was the Northern Alliance that did the bulk of the fighting. Airpower certainly helped, but the Afganies deserve the credit for the ground fighting. Secondly the US/Northern Alliance only controls ONE CITY, Kandahar. The rest of the country is a no-mans land run by warlords, and the Taliban is back in control in the east of the country. Incidently last year was a record year for the opium crop in Afganistan, other incrediable accomplishment of Bush, he put drug trafficeers back in business.

The War on Terror (is going well). Im sorry did I miss the news? Is Osama bin Laden dead? Is Ayman al Zahariri? is Muhummud Zarqouwi? Is Al Qaeda damaged? If it was, it isnt anymore. Madrid, London, Casablanca, Indonesia (twice) to name a few. It doesnt matter that al Qaeda did personally do these operations. It was their money, their training, their expertise, their equipment that made these operations possible. If we had taken care of business in Afganistan instead of pursing NEOCON non-exsistant fantasies in Iraq maybe al-Qaeda would still be hiding terrified in a cave, instead of making videos for the world press.

Not backing down to North Korea or Iran. Totally the opposite, it was Bush's reckless aggressiveness (such as the 2002 Axis of Evil speech) to absolutly convinced these countries to get nuclear weapons. Had he been a just slightly less aggressive (not to mention less arrogent) perhaps we wouldnt have nuclear devices in the hands of a insane maniac and a Fundimentalist Islamic State.

And those who think he had a good first term. Allowing the worst attack on American soil, failing to kill those reponsibles, while at the same time getting us involved in the worst military fiasco since Vietnam was 'good' then I cannot even image what a 'bad' term is going to be.

All I can say

'Stop this train, I want to get off'...
--
Boots
March 9th, 2006  
Missileer

I believe that President Bush has done a remarkably outstanding job given the circumstances beyond his control and I think that he alone could have possibly gotten us this far in the war against terror without being hit again. The man has been personally attacked from every side and has withstood attacks from the cannibalistic minority of Americans such as Hollyweird and people like the Sheehans and Moores. I don't care for some of the decisions he made but they are far outweighed by his leadership.
March 9th, 2006  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
I believe that President Bush has done a remarkably outstanding job given the circumstances beyond his control and I think that he alone could have possibly gotten us this far in the war against terror without being hit again. The man has been personally attacked from every side and has withstood attacks from the cannibalistic minority of Americans such as Hollyweird and people like the Sheehans and Moores. I don't care for some of the decisions he made but they are far outweighed by his leadership.
His leadership??? He's a TERRIBLE leader! Tell me, Whom actually is he leading?

1. Certainly not the American people is popularity is down to 34%. This country hasnt been more divided since the Civil War. He should have run on a "I am a divider not a uniter" platform. At 34% means that Bush is losing his Base, Zogby had NASCAR Dads at a 45% approval and even Born Again Christians 51%.

2. Not his Government. Bush cannot even lead his own cabinet, as Rummy and Cheney have both continuously done things with his knowledge (like Abu Garib or Cheney Energy Task Force). The real question is; Is he the President or are they?

3. Heck even is own party (not to mention all the Dems) are rebelling against him, espically in the House. Opposition to Bush amongth the GOP is growing at a very fast rate. Already the old school Conservatives loath him like the Pat Buchanan. I saw Buchanan on McNeil-Leher refer to Bush as "the destroyer of the conservative movement". This from Pat "uber-conservative" Buchanan, I mean OUCH!!!

4. Then of course there is the international community in which you can count the nations that we haven't angered with one hand. Look at his recent trip to India and Pakistan, he was booed and protested against in BOTH countries. Well, to be fair I guess bringing two enemies together against us is a form of leadership, so I'll give you that one.
March 9th, 2006  
Marinerhodes

http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/right_brothers_bush

hehe, a little tidbit to stir the pot some . . .
March 9th, 2006  
chinese-canadian

ya...Bush is not good at managing the economy...I mean his legacy will probably be a president who does not know how to express himself properly (even he does the right thing) and who leaves a debt load that Americans will take another century to digest
March 10th, 2006  
Chief Bones

I have to give some of you points for mustering your arguments ... however ...

I have a personal bias ... I absolutely DO NOT LIKE Bush ... and ... I dislike MOST of his policies completely and utterly ...

I DO NOT HATE him ... but I DO think he has done more to harm this country than any president in history. You can count on one hand the countries that are brothers-in-arms in the old fashioned sense .. all the way with no holding back. And now more countries than ever have a negative feeling AGAINST the United States.

Some of you mentioned Afghanistan - REMEMBER - AlQaeda were being sheltered/hidden by the Taliban ... the fact we had proof that AlQaeda was responsible for 9/11 and the deaths of over 3,000 American citizens left Bush ABSOLUTELY NO CHOICE ... either we went into Afghanistan after AlQaeda or Bush very likely would have been impeached. How making the 'official' decision, qualifies as making 'good' choices is still beyond me - he had NO choice ...

To say that Bush's economic policies are good for this country ... get real ... more companies than any other time in history have laid off massive portions of the workforce and sent jobs over seas ... the fact that the economy is 'rebounding' according to Bush's pet economists is so much doodoo ... the jobs that are returning, pay at levels less than 1/2 of those jobs that were lost ... let's not forget, the real base of our economy historically have been jobs in the upper middle class ... those jobs are being replaced with marginal jobs.

What really puts the frosting on the cake where Bush and his sycophants is concerned, was Bush's statement that outsourcing was good for America ... this is the man who is supposed to have America's best interests at heart ... OMIGOD - HOW SILLY THIS ONE SOUNDS.

Keep going guys --- some of you are raising some decent arguments that make you really think ... not that I agree with all of them ... but ... just like we all have an a**h*le, we also all have an opinion ... that is what makes this a great forum.
March 10th, 2006  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerhodes
http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/right_brothers_bush

hehe, a little tidbit to stir the pot some . . .
I always knew the Right wing was off its rocker, they actually bred FOX NEWS together with the pop group The Offspring...

I could destroy that song lyrics verse by verse but I simply dont have the strength to listen to that again, my ears are still bleeding.

Bloody awful, both the message and the music...
March 10th, 2006  
Rabs

Lmao i liked the message but i agree the music was terrible.