Harvick a Road Warrior

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Harvick a Road Warrior

spacer.gif

http://www.racingone.com/article.aspx?artnum=30311

Kevin Harvick passed Tony Stewart with three laps to go and went on to win Sunday's AMD at the Glen NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series race at Watkins Glen International Raceway.​

Harvick drove his Richard Childress Racing GM Goodwrench Chevrolet to his second win of the 2006 season adding to his victory at Phoenix back in April. It was Harvick's first career NEXTEL Cup road course victory.​

Stewart, who was shooting for his third straight Watkins Glen win, had taken the top spot from Harvick two laps earlier on the 90-lap event's final restart.​

But Harvick was able to wrestle the lead back two circuits later and went on to score the win.​

“This car was a lot of fun to drive today,” Harvick said. “It seemed like his car didn’t have enough brakes. I knew I was only going to have a couple of chances, so I took it.”​

Harvick had lead only six road course laps in his NEXTEL Cup Series career before Sunday.​

"This GM Goodwrench Chevrolet was a lot of fun to drive today," said Harvick. "It was really good. Got the fenders caved in early and just never gave up. It was a lot of fun racing with Tony there. I don't know how he passed me in the chicane still, but my car was really good getting into one and we were able to get back by him."​

Harvick, who is running away with the Busch Series point lead, is now third in the NEXTEL Cup standings and feels confident about his chances of doing well in the "Chase."​

"I think we can win it," Harvick said. "Once we get to 10 to go, this team has been really consistent. As long as we don't have bad luck or do something that we haven't been doing, we should at least have a chance."​

Stewart gave Harvick congratulations afterward and seemed pleased with running second to his friend and competitor.​

“I think I just overdrove the entries and exits,” Stewart said. “It’s fun racing with guys you trust like that. Kevin did an awesome job.”​

Jamie McMurray, Robby Gordon and Carl Edwards followed the top two across the finish line.​

"I had to worry about Robby behind me because he was really good on restarts and when I was on the outside my car just didn't have any grip," said McMurray. "We had brake problems yesterday and all the guys did a great job getting the brakes to work. I had good brake balance all day and that's important when you come to Watkins Glen."​

Scott Pruett, Elliott Sadler, Ryan Newman, Kyle Busch and Denny Hamlin completed the first ten finishers.​

Kurt Busch looked like he was on his way of a Watkins Glen sweep on Sunday, after taking Saturday's Busch Series race.​

Busch was leading the race but when Joe Nemechek spun off course and brought out a caution near the race's midway point, Busch was instructed by crew chief Roy McCauley to pit for tires and fuel.​

Unfortunately Busch came into the pits a split second before they were officially open, and was tagged with a penalty by NASCAR and sent to the end of the longest line.​

"Kurt I don't know what to say. I'm about in tears," McCauley said over the radio. "I'm sorry, Kurt."​

Things then got worse for Busch when he was caught in a multi-car crash with Matt Kenseth and eventually finished 19th.​

The NEXTEL Cup Series now heads to Michigan International Speedway for next Sunday's GFS Marketplace 400.​

Back