Hardest medal to win

Doppleganger

My vote goes for the German Knight's Cross with Golden Oakleaves, Swords, Diamonds. This medal was supposed to be awarded 12 times after the end of WW2 to the most deserving military men but an exception was made and just a single medal was awarded to Hans Ulrich Rudel of the Luftwaffe. This makes it the hardest medal to win from any nation when you look at what Rudel had to do to win it. He actually managed to sink a Soviet Battleship with a Stuka dive-bomber!

http://www.feldgrau.com/rkgosd.html

Yeah, it's not a great proportion of VC recipients who were awarded it whilst still alive, and those that have won it and still are alive are held in the highest regard.

Both the VC and the CMoH are worthy distinctions to earn and you can be sure that they are well-earned. But there have been multiple winners whereas Germany's highest award has only been awarded once. There is the argument that it is just a 'super' Knight's Cross but Rudel earned his when you look at his achievements.

My only thought about decorations of the third reich is that some of the "upper" level medals (especially ones awarded towards the later stages of the war), such as the one mentioned, may have been given out as propaganda or morale medals. Just a thought thats all.

Each country obviously has its own highest award. I think to compare one to another is to compare apples and oranges.

I agree with Doppleganger. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Golden Oakleaves, Swords and Diamonds was originally to be awarded to only 12 of the most deserving officers and men of any rank within any branch of the Wehrmacht, Waffen-SS or the auxiliary service organizations, awarded post-WWII pending an Axis victory. But we all know that didn't happen. It was only awarded once. That is once compared to the 464 WWII Medal of Honor recipients and 182 Victoria Cross recipients.

rkgesb19me.jpg

Well, medals are medals. The most honorable thing that any soldier can earn is his chance to go back home. All give some, but some gave all. Those that lost their lives are the highest soldiers in my opinion. It doesn't matter if they were buried with a MOH or a VC or a simple wooden cross. They gave their lives in defense of their nation and loved ones. And the honor and respect that they should get is the highest award that any militay or people can give to them. Same goes for our vets. Fighting is fighting, and risking one's neck is risking one's neck. Some go home, some don't. But please, treat them all as heroes.

5.56X45mm said:
Well, medals are medals. The most honorable thing that any soldier can earn is his chance to go back home. All give some, but some gave all. Those that lost their lives are the highest soldiers in my opinion. It doesn't matter if they were buried with a MOH or a VC or a simple wooden cross. They gave their lives in defense of their nation and loved ones. And the honor and respect that they should get is the highest award that any militay or people can give to them. Same goes for our vets. Fighting is fighting, and risking one's neck is risking one's neck. Some go home, some don't. But please, treat them all as heroes.

100% agreement on that one.

I have never seen pic of Victoria Cross.

vc_obv_hr.jpg

The Victoria Cross (VC) is the highest recognition for valour "in the face of the enemy" that can be awarded to members of the British and Commonwealth armed forces of any rank in any service, and civilians under military command. It is also the highest award in the British Honours system.

The medal takes the form of a cross pattée, 1.375 inches (35 mm) wide, bearing a crown surmounted by a lion, and the inscription "FOR VALOUR". This was originally to have been "FOR BRAVERY", until it was changed on the recommendation of Queen Victoria, who thought some might erroneously consider that only the recipients of the VC were brave in battle. The medal, suspension bar and link weigh about 0.87 troy ounces (27 g). The ribbon is crimson, 1.5 inches (38 mm) wide.

The VC was first issued on January 29, 1856, recognising acts of valour during the Crimean War of 1854-1855. All VCs are cast from the bronze cascabels of two cannon of Chinese origin that were captured from the Russians at the siege of Sevastopol, although during the First World War metal from guns captured from the Chinese during the Boxer Rebellion was also used. The barrels of the cannon in question are stationed outside the Officers' Mess at the Royal Artillery Barracks at Woolwich. The remaining portion of the only remaining cascabel, weighing 358 oz, is stored in a vault by 15 Regiment Royal Logistic Corps at Donnington. It is estimated that approximately 80-85 medals could be cast from this source. A single company of jewellers, Hancocks of London, has been responsible for the production of every VC awarded since the medal's inception.

Back