Hard issues facing today's officers

Duty Honor Country

I came across a really good article from the Washington Post which details some of the issues facing todays officers. Its a good read so I am posting it here.

A Tough Tour of the Home Front
New Joint Chiefs Head Hears of Wars' Strains

By Ann Scott Tyson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 24, 2007; Page A01

FORT SILL, Okla., Oct. 23 -- After returning in September from a 16-month tour with the 10th Mountain Division in Afghanistan, Capt. Michael Vieira was hoping to settle down here, where his fiancee has a good job.

"All I want to do is start a family, buy a house, have stability," Vieira, 25, explained Tuesday to Adm. Michael Mullen, in an unusually blunt encounter between the new chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and about 70 young artillery captains. But the Army told him that "family considerations" would have no bearing on his next posting, Vieira said.

As a result, Vieira said to Mullen, he is quitting the service. "I'm done," he said.

On his first domestic trip as the nation's top military officer, Mullen set out on a two-day tour of Army bases to "get a baseline" assessment of the strains that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are imposing on U.S. armed forces. In a sometimes emotional 90-minute meeting Tuesday with dozens of young officers, Mullen received an earful over many of the challenges that will define his chairmanship: lengthy war-zone rotations, worn-out equipment, growing discipline problems, and shortages of medical care for returning veterans. But most impassioned were pleas from several captains -- a combat-tested swath of officers the Army is seeking to retain through unprecedented cash bonuses -- for a bit of normalcy.

"The most important thing in my life is my wife's wish to go back to college," said a dark-haired captain, speaking to Mullen from the back row of a meeting room decorated by unit banners dating to World War I. But the captain was told that was not a priority for the Army, he said, and as a result he is going to have to tell his wife, "Honey, yeah, I just got back, but we're moving."

"When it becomes a burden to my family, sir, that's repulsive," said the captain, who, like his fellow officers, could not be quoted by name without granting permission.

Mullen asked the captain for his name and e-mail address. "I'm happy to take it on," he said, but he added: "I'm not promising relief."

And the chairman assured Vieira, of St. Johnsbury, Vt., that the apparent disregard for families he described was "not well received by the Army leadership" -- eliciting chuckles from some of the assembled officers, many with one or more combat tours in Iraq or Afghanistan.
ad_icon

The Army officers Mullen met with are among the most experienced in the force and the ones in greatest demand, but the high pace of war-zone rotations is the main reason they are leaving the service. The Army faces a shortage of more than 6,000 captains and majors needed to boost the force by 65,000 soldiers by 2010, and it recently began offering unprecedented bonuses of up to $35,000 and other incentives.

One of the most pressing problems the captains raised with Mullen is the lack of time at home. "We have soldiers that have spent more time in combat than World War II," said a captain in the front row, who proposed capping combat time at 30 months. "Is there a point where you can say, 'You've served enough'?"

Addressing the captains here, at the home of the Army's artillery school, Mullen, 61, said that he expects the military to remain heavily deployed around the world, and does not anticipate returning to a peacetime schedule of one year abroad and two years at home for perhaps another decade.

Mullen, who encouraged the frank talk, made it clear that his chief goal is to retain combat veterans. "This is the most combat-hardened force we've had in our history. . . . How do I hang on to all of that combat experience?" he said to the captains. "I don't want to lose that."

A Vietnam veteran, Mullen vowed to do everything in his power to keep the all-volunteer force from breaking. "I watched the military break in the 1970s," he said. "I'm never going to let that happen again."

Mullen acknowledged that troops in Iraq are tired and "ready to come home." He said his goal is to shift "as rapidly as possible" from the current Army standard -- 15 months in combat, followed by 12 months back home -- to equal time deployed and at home.

Some officers were not satisfied. "That's not good enough," one captain said, saying he'd like to be home three years for every year away.

"I've got it that it's not good enough," Mullen replied. Still, he said, even lengthening home stays to 15 months would take time. "We can't wave a wand and get there overnight," he said.

One captain voiced concern over the Army's growing practice of granting waivers to recruits for legal and health problems, saying that he spent 80 percent of his time dealing with the 13 "problem children" in his 100-person unit, some of whom went AWOL or had been methamphetamine dealers.

Later, Mullen also stressed the military must prepare for "significant change" as the country elects a new president. "That kind of change at the senior level of government is very challenging, no matter which party takes over," he said. "My goal is to be . . . sort of a rock during that change" and give advice on serious decisions to come.

He added that it is critical that the military remain apolitical and under civilian control. If unable to carry out orders, officers should "vote with our feet and leave," he said.

Also Tuesday, Mullen visited students at the Army Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., and met with Army recruiters in Denver. Wednesday, he is to speak with U.S. military teams at Fort Riley, Kan., preparing to train Iraqi and Afghan forces.

Hardship on spouses and children emerged as a major complaint for the young captains, most of them in their 20s or early 30s. One related the frustration his pregnant wife faced obtaining obstetric care for herself and medical treatment for their 8-month-old son's ear infection. With many Army doctors deployed, he said, she has often been told she can't get an appointment.

"I am currently on track to exit the military in one year," he said, "not because I'm done serving . . . but because my wife has a bad taste in her mouth." Mullen again promised to take his name and e-mail address. "I'll get back to you," he said.

Commenting later on the captains' frank comments, Mullen said that he was not surprised, and that they validated his own views. "They weren't shy," he said.

Let em resign their commisions. I would think that an individual who completed all the requirements of obtaining a commission would have at some point come to realize that. As an officer in the United States Army, (or any other branch for that matter) your needs, wants and desires come secondary to the needs of the service. Let alone the wants and desires of your spouse.

This is why in the French Foreign Legion, you cannot be married unless you have 5 years in or have attained the rank of Sergeant... and only then with permission.
1 year in the battlefield and 3 years rotated out? It's a joke.
People don't respect the hell out of this profession for nothing. Once the thing we're trained to do happens, it's unforgiving and it's the hardest kind of work in the world.

""When it becomes a burden to my family, sir, that's repulsive," said the captain, who, like his fellow officers, could not be quoted by name without granting permission.

Some officers were not satisfied. "That's not good enough," one captain said, saying he'd like to be home three years for every year away.

"I am currently on track to exit the military in one year," he said, "not because I'm done serving . . . but because my wife has a bad taste in her mouth." Mullen again promised to take his name and e-mail address. "I'll get back to you," he said.

These are the comments that frost me. Since when do Capt.'s demand anything of a general officer. Since when do they demand policy changes to make their life all sunshine and teddy bears.

Maybe they should concern themselves with their duties and then if they or their family can't deal with their commitments to the serve, then good resign and deal with the world civvy side.

This kinder gentler crap is the cause of all the mewlin and whinin on the EM side and I guess now it's flitering up.

The military itself rarely is the failure. The failure comes from society in which the personnel are picked from.

It's useless to sign guys like that up. They won't do their jobs and they'll just create more headaches that guys who want to get the job done have to deal with.
I'd know this well because for some reason a lot of guys who couldn't hack it got transferred over to my squad. Towards the end of my service I practically got postal. If I was in a war zone, I probably would have found some kind of way to have them fragged. It was THAT bad. And I think those guys weren't as bad as drug dealers.

The military itself rarely is the failure. The failure comes from society in which the personnel are picked from.

Yes and no. I don't think that society has changed significatly in my career to effect the quality. I know however that the US Military has implemented policies to give the members a sense of worth or some such and reduce stress and "bad feelings".

IMHO "You don't strenghten the weak, by weakening the strong."

Society does affect the military.
I guess the classic case would be ancient Rome. Romans just weren't man enough to do the fighting themselves. I'm sure they faced serious issues with enlistment that may not be too different from the US. A seemingly endless war in the frontiers against a bunch of barbarians that seemed too backward and far away to be a serious threat.
My time in the RoKMC was a time of change as well. We heard that lots of change would come during our time. And that was in answer to the population in which the services could draw their personnel. Maintaining the units the old way became impossible without stripping the numbers down big time.

I agree with the redneck. The military needs the support of their society as much as society needs the support of the military. This not only effects the recruitment and morale of new soldiers, but also molds future political reformations of the military or national security strategy.

This is especially important in a democratic society, as many politicians would formulate decisions based on populist appeals. An example of this is President Roh Moo Hyun taking advantage of the general masses hostility against our OWN armed forces thereby implementing populist policies that detooth our defense capability.

Tell me about it... the way things were going it looked like RoKMC wouldn't last another 10 years. Anyone who could leave and start something outside of the military were packing up to leave. I knew a bunch of senior drill instructors (I still talk to one of them) and they're all more or less bent on leaving.
Some people who opt to choose career are leaving and joining the Army instead.

Hated South Korea for gutting the Corps there. Hated civilians.

And the news about some civilian who purposely rammed his jeep into two Marines, killing one, just to steal their guns sure didn't improve my view about our civilian society at all.

Sooner or later, some ******** politician is going to implement a VOLUNTEER SYSTEM into our nation.

I heard that a guy stole weapons from Marines on guard and wondered how that happened. I figured the guy who stole it had to kill them somehow to get to it and looks like I was right.
The guys should have been more alert... but then again if you see cars day in and day out and there is no real threat level you can get complacent. I think our boys should be given a more lenient ROE when it comes to managing problematic civilians.
Can you tell me more about the incident?
Also, what service do you hail from?

I'm not so clear on the details, it seems the story is slightly different depending on who reports it.

It didn't really take much skill to take the weapons off the marines. He just hit them from behind in his jeep while they were walking.

From one version of the story, the suspect tried to steal the weapons off from one marine who was still alive, the marine resisted the attempt but the suspect stabbed several several times on the face and stomach, but he still wouldn't let go. Finally, the suspect gave up and went to the other marine who was dead and took off his weapons and drove off.

What was the motive of his crime? It was because he was depressed and wanted to take out his anger on someone, the marines were just unlucky. It shows the lack of respect he has for servicemen.

The good news is he is under military jurisdiction so he his ****ed.

Last edited:
I haven't served yet, I was just a military cadet. But I'm different from most civilians.

I'm not a cadet now because I want to focus on learning martial arts (right now, I'm learning Kyuksuldo and Aikido), there's another reason but I don't want to give any information away because it's personal.

I'm still young so I have plenty of time left before I join the military. I want to hold off until I earn my first blackbelt in Kyuksuldo. I'm planning on entering a college or university next year as an ordinary student only, that way I can still practice the martial arts styles that I love while I study.

Here's me in my Kyuksuldo dojang, I'm the one in the white belt, don't mind my form I now know my hand positioning was all wrong (damn you taekwondo!!!):

yang2.jpg

yang.jpg

As you can see this picture was taken two months ago, and I'm still a white belt. So I still have a long way to go before I reach blackbelt.
Here's where we keep our uniforms:

kyuksuldo4.jpg

Hey, thanks for the news on that. I didn't hear about it until later.
My old man mentioned it but talked about it to a friend of his like we Marines were a bunch of idiots. He hates the military.
Now I know.
The guy who was hit and stabbed and still clung to his weapon should be commended. I know full well why he did not shoot but that's OPSEC and I'd rather have it not float around here.
I'm going to Korea for a short while in early January. If you're interested I'll buy you some beers.
I've never heard of Kyuksuldo before. Looks interesting. I wonder if it's anything like Krav Maga. I hope to be instructor level certified in Krav Maga some day.
I'll shoot you a PM on some possibilities in the military. If you have any questions about the Marines, you can ask me any time.

Really

So many ****ing idiots. What could make someone decide to do that? The one that held his weapon was an honorable man.

The guy is looking to serve at least 5 years in prison, considering the amount of publicity this has, he more likely serve a harsher sentence. Good riddance too.

I've never heard of Kyuksuldo before. Looks interesting. I wonder if it's anything like Krav Maga. I hope to be instructor level certified in Krav Maga some day.

I don't know about Krav Maga but Kyuksuldo is brutally beautiful, it has everything from weapons techniques to ground work without any flash that you'd expect from Tuk Gong Moosul.

Youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoCiKKCB8bQ

We have two professional fighters in Spirit MC, both of whom I personally know. Here's one from the wealterweight championship match (he lost though), he's the same person you see in the previous picture:

http://www.spiritmc.org/UserFiles/Image/photo/smc13_14m_101.jpg
http://www.spiritmc.org/UserFiles/Image/photo/smc13_14m_102.jpg
http://www.spiritmc.org/UserFiles/Image/photo/smc13_14m_103.jpg

I have to hotlink the pictures because the spiritmc website doesn't directly link the webpage with the photos.

Back