Hard drive ground to a halt

wolfen

OK I've posted this on a couple of boards, so if I already posted it on here somebody just shoot me and get it over with.

My dam hard drive ground to a complete halt 3 days ago, things 11 months old and yes its a Seagate, thats the only good thing, I lost everything, but at least I backed up my bookmarks to everything on the computer I'm on now ( my oldest sons).
New Hard drive should be here sometime early next week. Then i can stat installing and downloading all over again. I'm gonna buy another one to keep on hand just in case. the 5-7 business days are killing me.

I.......think you mentioned that? Maybe? Or I could've been dreaming. :) Either way, that really sucks. :(

I can't remember. I admit it I am a little forgetful sometimes, its either the chemicals used in Desert storm or that stuff my 13 year old made for supper last night :)

either way your right it sucks really bad, this thing is a 1 gig with 128 meg or ram and a 5 gig hard drive that is almost full with his school junk that he never deletes.

Gotta love kids. :) I have two backups for my computer, but, as my sister continually likes to point out, I have next to nothing on here. LOL

I used to be big on back ups, secondary backups and fire proof safes for back ups until a few years ago when it was pointed out to me that I had absolutely nothing on my computer I couldn't afford to lose and now I don't bother with back ups at all.

I can understand the need to back up if you are keeping documents or pictures etc. that are irreplaceable but for your average home PC I think people put way too much effort into backing up. For the most part computers will run happily for years which means that when something does die it is probably a good opportunity to tidy the system up (reformat and reinstall) anyway.

I found out back when a 486 was top of the line and 3.1.1 was boss O/S that backups aren't as important as knowing where to get all the stuff that you used to have, thats why I have a cdrw labeled Computer Utilities disk 1 and 2, with every single setup that I used to have on the hard drive before it craped out :), if a prog isn't on those2 disks, i have a little thing called bookmarks in the shared folder on this computer with all the places I need to go to get what I want or need.

Back