Hand Grenade

Thrown a grenade before?

• Total voters

SAINT

Hand grenades are part of the personal weapon of a soldier.

Do you think hand grenades are still relevant today as most fighting will be done beyond the throwing range of a grenade?

Have you thrown a grenade before -- like the experience? ;)

Grenades are still very relevant, considering the more complex terrain that battles are being fought over these days. eg: buildings and subterrenean.

I would have to agree with Scott on this one. Hand grenades are very vital today. Not necessarily just the HE grenades or the Frags. CS, Flash bangs, they are all very vital. Especially for us grunts.

SAINT said:

Yes, and not really... :)

It's actually quite boring to train with live grenades, since we have to duck and cover behind a solid concrete wall after we have thrown it, so we don't see any of the fun stuff... :?
(but I guess that it could be a bit risky to take a peak at it anyway.. :) )

I've always wondered how safe it is to thrown a live grenade at the enemy 50-60 feet away..

It's probably the last thing I would use, unless I've got a wall beside me or i'm in a trench.

The last thing a soldier will do is to throw a grenade uphill...
the little thing may just roll back downhill :shock:

I've thrown homemade hand grenades before, not as powerful as the real thing but get the job done.

And yeah, hand grenades are still very relevant.

Hand grenades are no doubt relevant, but more flashbangs and smoke are used nowadays. Or atleast I think so. But regular grenades are still used. Usually as a last resort or a good spot for a grenade to be thrown. They don't often rush the battlefield throwing grenades like madmen.

With urban warfare being the rule now, grenades are totally neccessary. After all, before you have to run into a building, you might want to toss in a grenade.
Not only that, but explosives in general. Especially the shaped charges that blow holes through walls so your troops don't have to run around in the streets all the time.

Grenades today are just as important as they were in the past, although I believe they are delievered by a weapon more today than yesteryear. I have thrown grenades and shot them from an M-79 Grenade Launcher that would project approximately 400 yards, now the accuracy was within the target range.

MOUT, CQB, genades are VERY relevent.

SAINT said:
Hand grenades are part of the personal weapon of a soldier.

Do you think hand grenades are still relevant today as most fighting will be done beyond the throwing range of a grenade?

The most certainly are relevant. Especially in FIBUA. A lot of battles are fought in urban terrain these days. Take iraq for example. Ive thrown a couple and never mind the shrapnel the bang is enough to take the wind out of anyones sails

The first time I ever threw a frag grenade I was suprised at the damage it did.I had visions of all the targets being obliterated as I had seen in movies.Instead there was a few holes here and there(although i wouldnt want such holes in my person).
Check out the HG85 made by RUAG munitions. If anyone has thrown one of these please let me know is this "pearl" all its cracked up to be? I think the British army have aquired these(or so I read).

Hand grenades certainly have thier use. I've used many of them and I'd hate to be without them.
Sven, ya they hurt like hell when you're on the receiving end of them (long story but trust me).

I still have the ring from the pin of the first live grenade I threw. I keep my keys on it and have since 1962. Mil spec key ring.

Back