Haiti and better solutions from military?

Sometimes the term "stay in your lane" NEEDS to apply. I've watched months of long, hard work fall apart at the wrong, untrained hands attempting to accomplish the same follow on mission. Guys trained and informed do the work, build the blocks and big green (Army / Marines) decides that conventional forces can take over and handle it from there. The next thing you know, the trust and rapport that was built is shattered. Not because the guys did anything wrong, they went through the motions, followed their little guide book, provided supplies, assisted cultivations, ran MEDCAPS, met with the tribal leaders, gave kids hugs and played soccer. But those things aren't going to garner deep trust in and of themselves.

Winning hearts and minds is not as simple as it looks, esp. when it's not your own people, your own culture or your own country. It's not so black and white that everyone can do the mission if they'd just "try." FID, IDAD, HA. These are not just "add on" missions, they're not pick up gigs. They require years of training.

Infantrymen need to be conditioned and trained to close with and destroy the enemy. If we spend as much time as they would need to develop the mindset, skills and ability to handle these missions, would be shooting ourselves in the foot and losing the backbone to our military defense/offense. Not to mention 19 year old males aren't well known for their patience, wisdom or experience.

We have the resources, we have the skills, what we don't have is a conventional leadership that understands the roles and missions on a more strategic level.

Truer words never spoken.+1

Just to make sure nobody looks bad here. We were given a block of instruction on what was needed for riots. We did not throw our riot gear down and say **** this. Down at knox I have seen plenty of MPs going over this stuff in the court yard. We took this stuff seriously and we got certified. The kicker here is we were going against rifleman. So these guys were far more aggressive then your typical riot. I dont think I need to explain all the details here but it turned into a troop vs troop. They attacked pretty hard and we made them pay. Ask any Infantryman and he will tell you he can do anybodies job. This is not common training for a rifleman.

Actually I never suggested anyone lose the shields.
Just make sure you have some fire extinguishers. Or else against real rioters that line is going to break.

Actually I never suggested anyone lose the shields.
Just make sure you have some fire extinguishers. Or else against real rioters that line is going to break.

Fire extinguishers are kept behind the line of shields and troops with shields are taught procedures that will minimize fire exposure when a Molotov is thrown.

Back