I had some criminals in my house today I think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay! Are you ready for a creepy story?! Well, this morning at 11:15 (I consider it morning ever since I've been sleeping until 11, at least), I heard my door bell ring. Now no one was supposed to be here, so I was a bit confused. It's kind of hard to explain my house, but it's like one of those things where there's a front door, and then an entrance hallway and some stairs, and then another door to actually get into the house. I don't usually lock the front one because I'm too lazy to get out my keys TWICE. :))) Anyway, I looked out the little peep-hole thing, and there was a Mexican man standing there! I looked outside, and there was an old, beat up car there as well. I shut off the TV, ran into my bedroom, and called my mother to make sure that no maintenance guys were going to be here (we had like heat and water problems last week...)! She said that there weren't, and as I was on the phone with her, the Mexican hit the door bell AGAIN. Now, I was really freaked out, and it's not like I was going to open the door. He had gone up two flights of stairs and in through a CLOSED door to get where he was, and I've never had anyone do that before. Next, I looked outside and there was ANOTHER man who had walked way back onto my property (my bedroom is in the very back of the house, and when I looked out the window, he was directly under me). He looked up and *saw* me. I slammed the shade shut immediately and went around pulling all the rest down too. When I looked back out, he was gone, the guy at the peep-hole was gone, and the car (with a 3rd person sitting in there) wasn't there either! I called the police, and the cutest little old cop that I've ever seen in my life came over and I filed a report. He was ready to put a detail at the outside of my house because he was like "That's not right. I'm a police officer and even though this came in as a 9-1-1 call, I STILL would have never gone past that front door." I know that it doesn't sound bad, but to see those kind of people in this kind of community and how far he walked into my house (I mean, it wasn't like he was standing on my front porch, he had to walk in through closed doors, and up stairs and everything), it was really odd. They think that he was probably going to rob me. Oh I should mention that my car wasn't in the driveway (I let me friend borrow it because it's not like I can really drive with my back injury anyway.), and they left as soon as they saw someone was home. My house is also the biggest one on the street... So, you do the math.

What do you all think? Do you think they were going to rob me? Should I be scared? I have people at my house with me now, so I'm in no immediate danger, but I've been home alone (and will continue to be for a while), while everyone else is at work and I am home because of my back problems...

interesting, very interesting.... seems to me like whatever they were doing wasnt going to be good.......

do you have a gun or something that you could protect yourself with? if you think it could happen again, then i suggest getting some sort of weapon to be able to defend yourself with, and proper training to use it right. also, maybe start locking that front door. :D im happy that nothing bad came out of it though.

Just got done reading it. I think you made the right decision by not opening the door. Then again you may have made the wrong decision by not opening the door, because they might think you are not home at this time of the day and may come back to rob you. I don't mean to scare you, but it's a common tactic criminals use. I think that next time that happens you yell "Who is it?" See what they say, then if they dont leave, call the cops. Maybe you might want to get a "Beware of Dog" sign. Whether you have one or not, they can be useful. Take care, PM me if you want :)

EDIT: Since i only skimmed it, I didnt notice that he saw you. So I think if he saw you, then left. That's a little suspicious

Thanks for the advice! But yeah, they do know that I was home because they looked in the window and saw me. :? I was on the phone when they saw me, which I figured was the reason they got out of there... They probably thought I was on the phone with the police. I normally would have called the police (I have done so MANY times in the past, usually to be a false alarm, but I'd rather be safe than sorry), but this time, I just figured that it was some construction worker type person because we had to have our heat fixed the other day, and we've had construction workers in and out of here for the past week. I certainly didn't want to call the police out here for that. Also, when I was on the phone with my mother, she said "I'm calling the police right now!", but apparently she called my father first (?) for the same reason... To make sure that he didn't have anyone coming over. Anyway, by the time she called me back, they were gone, but next time someone comes, I'm calling 911 right away. The police officer seemed very concerned and gave me his personal number! :D I hope I'll be all set now!

~*Brittany*~

hmmm...interesting story... I think you might want to start locking that front door...in any case , i agree with ghost. You should get some kind of weapon. I was robbed and my father bought a beretta the very next day,

Welcome to the big city! Always lock all your doors and never let anyone in that you don't know. Don't worry about calling the police, they don't mind at all.
BTW, how did you know the men were Mexican as opposed to say Dominican, Puerto Rican, Gutamalan, etc.?

FutureHMSGrad, I think you should buy pepper spray or taser gun rather than gun. Non-lethal is kind of cheaper than gun. And next time, lock the front door. ;)

FutureDevilDog said:
Just got done reading it. I think you made the right decision by not opening the door. Then again you may have made the wrong decision by not opening the door, because they might think you are not home at this time of the day and may come back to rob you. I don't mean to scare you, but it's a common tactic criminals use. I think that next time that happens you yell "Who is it?" See what they say, then if they dont leave, call the cops. Maybe you might want to get a "Beware of Dog" sign. Whether you have one or not, they can be useful. Take care, PM me if you want :)

EDIT: Since i only skimmed it, I didnt notice that he saw you. So I think if he saw you, then left. That's a little suspicious

yeah my thoughts exactly, but how do you know what tactics crminals use Futuredevildog?

The cheapest and most effective first line of defense is a recording of a large dog barking and snarling. Some are armed and start when noise such as the doorbell ringing sets it off or you can just turn it on with a remote. They usually pick a rottweiler or St Bernard to record because they sound as big as a Horse. The gun is 2nd line of defense. Buy a Remington 870 shotgun, not a pistol.

FutureHMSGrad said:
I know that it doesn't sound bad, but to see those kind of people in this kind of community and how far he walked into my house (I mean, it wasn't like he was standing on my front porch, he had to walk in through closed doors, and up stairs and everything), it was really odd. They think that he was probably going to rob me. Oh I should mention that my car wasn't in the driveway (I let me friend borrow it because it's not like I can really drive with my back injury anyway.), and they left as soon as they saw someone was home. My house is also the biggest one on the street... So, you do the math.

Oh I am doin the math and it's adding up to you believing that a couple of Hispanic people on your front porch are there to rob you.

Guess that means that a couple of Angelos in mis Barrio must be there to score some chiba, or some Blanco ? :roll:

03USMC said:
FutureHMSGrad said:
I know that it doesn't sound bad, but to see those kind of people in this kind of community and how far he walked into my house (I mean, it wasn't like he was standing on my front porch, he had to walk in through closed doors, and up stairs and everything), it was really odd. They think that he was probably going to rob me. Oh I should mention that my car wasn't in the driveway (I let me friend borrow it because it's not like I can really drive with my back injury anyway.), and they left as soon as they saw someone was home. My house is also the biggest one on the street... So, you do the math.

Oh I am doin the math and it's adding up to you believing that a couple of Hispanic people on your front porch are there to rob you.

Guess that means that a couple of Angelos in mis Barrio must be there to score some chiba, or some Blanco ? :roll:

I wondered how long it would take you to pick up on this one 03. I'll take a cervesa but no blanco for me, I'm afraid I'd like it too much. ;)

Wow 03 you kinda bit her in the butt.. She must live in a mostly White community...Thats why she said in this kind of community...And lets face it..no offence to Hispanics but some do tend to lean towards the thugsta road..But there are plenty that dont take that road. Im sorry but thats the way it is.

EDIT: i googled the stats and Hispanics make up 20+ percent of the prison population. 40% im sorry to say is Black.

C/sergeant_henderson said:
.And lets face it..no offence to Hispanics but some do tend to lean towards the thugsta road..But there are plenty that dont take that road. Im sorry but thats the way it is.

EDIT: i googled the stats and Hispanics make up 20+ percent of the prison population. 40% im sorry to say is Black.

Gee thanks for demographic lesson. Yeah some Latino's do get involved with Gangas I'm well aware of that. I'm also well aware that a Vato representing MS-13, Norteno, or Sureno is pretty hard to confuse with your Hispanic landscaper, roofer or laborer.

I'm also very much aware that any bangers bent on a robbery would most likely have conducted that robbery whether or not she was in the residence.

Bottom line is this. You have a possible situation and no facts. The line of thought is this.

They are Hispanic.
They are in a good (read non ethnically diverse area) neighborhood.
Cars a beater (Read not late model Volvo, Lexus, Minivan,SUV)
They must be here to rob, pillage and plunder.

I've taken those calls only to find out the "robbers" were a landscaping crew or a roofing crew or a drywall crew at the wrong address.

I've also been subject to the same scrutiny now that I work Plain Clothes.

"A Mexican just handcuffed a man and pushed him into a car."
" Yes Ma'm. We know he's one of our Investigators." ;)

That's my assessment too, 03. :roll:

I'd also note that if they seriously intended to rob you, they'd have done so. For all you know, they could've been trying to find an address. ;)

thats right, get a gun so you can defend yourself against anyone who so much as gives you the evil eye

they could have been lost and looking for an address
they could have been old friends of someone in your family
yes the fact that they went past a closed door isn't good, but if you had done what normal people do and lock it, it would never have come to that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back