H&K's new XM8 - Page 2

View Poll Results :Should they Issue this instead of the M16/M4?
Yes 16 59.26%
No 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

--

May 12th, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy

Yes, the new gun looks very good, except for the 12.5 inch barrel. I'd opt for a bullpup config with a 18 or 20 inch barrell.

Go forwards people, not back.
May 14th, 2004  
Rampage

But the gun is so sexy!!! I want one!
May 14th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

Where's the metal?

Firearms are really really changing. I went to the gun shop last month to pick out my birthday present. I saw the new synthetic rifles and the sci-fi laser gun look-alikes.

I picked out a bolt action .22 with a wooden stock.

Just my personal preferance, cause I don't have to worry about how it will shoot after being lugged through the jungle and mud and buried for 10 years in the sand.

Dad thinks the Army should still be using the Garand
--
May 16th, 2004  
c/Commander

Ah, we've got a couple of Garands for parade and we've fired them a couple of times...they're incredibly accurate for being as old as they are. Can't compare to the M16 though.
May 17th, 2004  
BmrSooner451

I'm sure you can stick a 14.5 in it
May 17th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmrSooner451
I'm sure you can stick a 14.5 in it
Oh, you mean just grab up one of the spare barrels laying around on the ground, dang why didn't I think of that? Just kidding.
You are correct that barrels are interchangeable on this weapon (there is no 14.5" though, there is a 9.5", a 12.5", and then a 20" which is used in the sharpshooter and SAW versions), but the standard issue will have a 12.5" barrel, and I can almost guarantee you that it will be nearly impossible to round up enough extra 20" barrels to refit say an Infantry platoon (around 40 men, including the weapons squad, which would also require the 20" barrels), let alone getting such a refit approved.
If the DA wants this new rifle, they should, in my opinion, make the standard barrel length longer (at least 14.5"), I can see no logical reason for the reduction in length, it won't save that much weight, the thing's too light already anyway, and if the purpose is to shorten it for easier movement during urban operations, like movement through doorways, etc., we do not need a submachinegun style weapon as our standard issue, we are not going to be spending all of our time indoors (unless I am horribly mistaken about the terrain in that Afghanistan place ).
May 17th, 2004  
Marksman

have any info about it??
May 17th, 2004  
Redneck

Check out the link in the first post in this thread, right above the picture of the new pea-shooter.
May 17th, 2004  
Marksman

thanks sisnt saw
May 17th, 2004  

I think the looks are good. I think we'll just have to wait and see how good it really is. If the accuracy with this barrel length is as good as it's predecessors, that would be an improvement. Smaller gun; just as accurate. Is there any reason to think H&K would put a short barrel in it if it was inaccurate?