• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

USAFAUX2004

17 Feb 2005

Dear Mr. Geocaris

I understand that my following actions will result in a zero and a drop in my grade; however I believe that the policy of “One grade per group” is absurd. In my Science class there is a policy that if you believe your partner does not do their share, then you have to tell the teacher and you and your partner will do your own separate papers. I support this policy because it allows people to take control of the situation. Yesterday you told me that I should have “motivated” my partners to bring specific images in order for them to do their part, but I do not recall when I was made the group leader. ALL of the partners were required to bring images, ALL of the partners were required to bring music; at the very least they could have given suggestions. I have discussed the issue at hand with my parents thoroughly, and we have reached the conclusion that I will not be turning in MY poetry iMovie Project.
On February 14, 2005 we have begun to work on the iMovie presentations. That day NONE of us, including my self brought in any images or sound clips. Since I did not bring in any materials my self I could not judge my partners. I kindly asked my partners to look for particular images and to bring them to class the next day. We did have a recording of the poem; however it was of poor quality, and mono-tone. The next day, I brought in a music CD, which we used to get our music clip from, and tried to access saved images on my school server. My “partners” did not bring in anything. Because of the poor quality of the recording, I kindly asked the person to redo the recording, but was refused. I then asked if my other “partner” would like to do the recording of the poem, and once again was refused. The computers did not work well and did not allow me to access to the images stored in my personal files. By the end of the period I had only the recording of the poem. On Wednesday, the 16th of February, I once again asked my “partners” what they brought in; none of them had anything. By Thursday I was tired of all the excuses I received and went to a Technology Lab, and finished the entire project by myself. ALL of the Images were in place, ALL of the Audio was in place, and ALL of the reading was in place. I have rushed the completion of the project, because I was worried about my grade, but when I finished the project I realized that “it is not the grade that matters it is the knowledge of achievement” that matters.
I have been taught to believe that EVERYONE should do their job. I have also been taught that I cannot tell others what to do. It is not the same to “persuade” and to “force”. I do not have the power to make any person do what I want, however what I can do is control my own actions. After thinking about this, I have decided that I will take a fall, but do the right thing. I will NOT let anyone get credit for what they do not deserve. My “partners” do not deserve to receive this grade and so I will not let them receive this grade, even if that means receiving a zero for the assignment. Cheating is punished by an automatic zero for all parties involved, and this should be considered as cheating. A grade does not make a person, his actions do, and I stand firmly behind my actions.

Sincerely

Michael Hatkevich, 9th Grade
Student

Pretty sel explanatory

I was in a simular situation in college. In my material science class, we had a group project on the California energy crisis. The project consisted of a written paper along with a presentation on energy use of a selected country. My group met 3 times but only 2 people showed up. After the last failed meeting, I called everyone and said I will complete the project for everyone. I even went as far as printing copies for everyone complete with their names. When it was time to turn in the papers, the teacher said for everyone to write the percentage of work that each person did. I told my group to write everyone the same and to say I was the editor. I missed the next class because I was sick. On campus I saw one of my group members and he thanked me for saving him from failing the class because the project got a grade of 100. In the end, I got a case of beer and $40 for my work. My actions were not honorable, but allowed me to keep my 4.0 in that class.

Bet you got pretty good :D
Good going. Cheating people make me mad but I don't rat them out yet...They'll get whats coming, don't do the work, pay the price by not learning it. Time exams come they'll see the results.

I took a college course in high school called public affairs where you had to take one social problem and create a policy to either correct or lessen the problem. Unfortantly, I was stuck with the group that had three rather lazy and unintelligent persons out of a 4 person group. I almost failed the course due to them until I layed down the law and basically got the group on the right track. I think that you should have made the teacher aware of the problem earlier and still kept the finishied project and letting the others get zeros.

ah group work
most of my uni assignments are group based but we have a good self and group assesment system in process.

IMO: good on you for having the integrity to stand up for what you believe in and for not letting them get away with slacking off. if it was one person and they had a decent excuse, like probs at home ok u make an exception, but not for an entire team. basically all you can do is let the teacher know what is happening in advance.

what we do is we independantly assess how much each other contributed to each section of the project and actually list what they did. they then grade the assignment and then, depending on how you were assessed, your mark is scaled.

Locke said:
ah group work
most of my uni assignments are group based but we have a good self and group assesment system in process.

IMO: good on you for having the integrity to stand up for what you believe in and for not letting them get away with slacking off. if it was one person and they had a decent excuse, like probs at home ok u make an exception, but not for an entire team. basically all you can do is let the teacher know what is happening in advance.

what we do is we independantly assess how much each other contributed to each section of the project and actually list what they did. they then grade the assignment and then, depending on how you were assessed, your mark is scaled.

putting in some of that Locke Ideology

I had an old spanish teacher that was even worse. If one person didn't do an assignment, the entire class would get a zero.

Back