The guys in SF

Matthew

Hello guys, i'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

if any of u are in SF or know a lot about it i'd really like to ask something

What are the guys like in SF? put it another way, how would you describe them? big huge guys or smaller more skinny guys. Are they badass or not. Are they more well behaved than normal army? and is it true that in SF Brains is more important than Brawn?

Thanks for all who reply
Matt

What are the guys like in SF? put it another way, how would you describe them? big huge guys or smaller more skinny guys. Are they badass or not. Are they more well behaved than normal army? and is it true that in SF Brains is more important than Brawn?

Thanks for all who reply
Matt

Special Operations has all kinds .. tall and skinny, short and thick, tall and thick, short and skinny. There is no typical SOF guy.

The term "badass" is relative, no one is a "badass," everyone has a weakness and everyone bleeds when the projectiles rip through your skin. No one is perfect or perfectly trained and EVERYBODY always has room for improvement and something they can learn.

While the stereotype from movies, books and general scuttlebutt (that's for you 03) is that SOF guys are undisciplined don't give a **** types, that's not really true. There is a time to be locked on and there is a time to be relaxed. If a guy doesn't have discipline and professionalism he won't last very long in SOF.

As for your last question, well, I'd say that in almost all careers brains are more important than brawn. In general, a high level of fitness is required for any SOF career due to the nature of the training and missions. There is more of an emphasis on stamina and endurance than brawn, however. Strength is important but a guy doesn't need to be able to lift a VW bug on demand. The super huge muscle guys tend to struggle a lot more than the skinny guys in a lot of ways.

Intelligence is important because you have to be able to think outside of the box, improvise, adapt, etc. You have to be able to learn and retain, apply and assess and you have to be able to do it quickly and efficiently.

The question was SF.
There is only US ARMY Special Forces.
All other applications reference to SF are misnomers.

SF does come under today's SOCOM umbrella, but it is a separate organization.

A basic characteristic is self starting and high personal motivation.

A realistic candidate would not be asking the questions you have presented.

Sympathetic and gentle handling of frivolous thinking are not in our basic nature.

Most of us are *******s. Hard earned.

Skip SF.

The question was SF.

Sympathetic and gentle handling of frivolous thinking are not in our basic nature.

Skip SF.

lol chill out there high speed. You sound like a PVT that just signed his 18X contract.

In other countries "SF" encompasses all Special Operations Forces. It's only in the US that SF is actually SF. And as is evident by his big flag on his name tag, he's not from the US.

He also didn't say he was a candidate, he simply asked a question. So how about you relax on the drama there, hero and show some of that quiet professionalism.

Last edited:
How 'bout you keep your suggestions to yourself.
Reread NTL sentence
USASF 66-70.
SFTG
6th SFG 67-68
5th Grp RVN 68-70
7th SFG 70

The question was SF.

Skip SF.

Your answer is wrong, Sir.

There are several SF units out in the world, not knowing that is either VERY outdated info or very arrogant.
That´s not what the QP,s stand for, now is it?

I see you have put in your time back when **** were tough, respect given (weather you want it or not).
But frankly your attitude on this here topic and on this particular board looks alot like lack of SA.
Alittle FID goes a long way...As I am sure you know.

Have a good day, Sir.

//KJ.

How 'bout you keep your suggestions to yourself.
Reread NTL sentence
USASF 66-70.
SFTG
6th SFG 67-68
5th Grp RVN 68-70
7th SFG 70
Your service is much appreciated and old school SF guys always have my respect, you guys set the standard and left much to learn from. That said, you're not the only one around here with fancy badges and funny looking tabs so throwing your creds around isn't going to make you right. Your SA is lacking on this one.

When I was in SF 1n 1971-2 there were all sorts, but there were a lot of weirdos down around the Turk Street area.;-)

Last edited:

Thanks for all who reply
Matt

The SF personnel that I have worked with were very professional soldiers. They are not supermen but they are in extremely god shape both physically and mentally. They were also very modest people and they didn’t like to point to much attention to themselves. They know perfectly well what they are capable of and most important what they are not capable of.

No mater what function you have in the military; just remember that brain can get you out of what brawn can get you into

Cheers
Kristina

To the original poster. I had a family friend growing up who was a SF MSG team leader. His career spanned from Vietnam to Desert Storm. I remember asking him what the SF were. He did it in one word. "diplomats"

To the original poster. I had a family friend growing up who was a SF MSG team leader. His career spanned from Vietnam to Desert Storm. I remember asking him what the SF were. He did it in one word. "diplomats"

That's a really good way to put it.

The question was SF.

Skip SF.

Only the Army has Spec ops? Well hell.............who did I fix helo's and boat motors for for 20 years then?

Okay Bandwagon, you guys can chill out. Dog piles don't do a damn thing and KJ and I already offered constructive correction.

Wolfen, he never said no one but the Army has Special Operations. He is simply confused about the term "SF." In the US, ONLY the Army has SF. In other countries SF is what they call most of their Special Operations. I would guess since you were Navy you fixed helos for pilots and boats for boat drivers. SWCC and SEALs aren't Special Forces, they are Special Warfare and like Special Forces fall under the general term of Special Operations Forces.

Your right PJI fixed special ops boats and special ops helos, we weer called SO in the Navy the Army and Air Force called them SF, but either way a Spec is a spec.
I wasn't trying to sound like a butthead, sorry if I came off that way, but now days I get told all the time by kids that the Navy has no body except Seals that do any thing besides float, which is bull, if you fix their stuff, you go with them, train with them, and live with them, you wouldn't believe some of the places I've been, and helped secure so that the Army SF could land there.

Your right PJI fixed special ops boats and special ops helos, we weer called SO in the Navy the Army and Air Force called them SF, but either way a Spec is a spec.
I wasn't trying to sound like a butthead, sorry if I came off that way, but now days I get told all the time by kids that the Navy has no body except Seals that do any thing besides float, which is bull, if you fix their stuff, you go with them, train with them, and live with them, you wouldn't believe some of the places I've been, and helped secure so that the Army SF could land there.

What was your exact MOS? What units were you in?

United States Army Special Forces is the actual name of the unit. They are considered Special Operations Forces. 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta are also US Army SOF but are not SF because SF is the name of a unit.

Basically before the term Special Forces became popular internationally the US Army had already named a unit that and so it has been confusing people ever since.

you wouldn't believe some of the places I've been, and helped secure so that the Army SF could land there.

While SF have the capability for direct actions it's not their primary focus like it is in other SOF units.

Back