Guys I need information...

oRTouCH

I need information about missile crisis in Cold War between Cuba-USA and Turkey-Russia... You know Russia wanted USa to withdraw its Jupiter misilles from Turkey.. But where can I find information?

The US did actually withdraw a large number of missiles from Turkey and presented it as a compensation to Moscow for what Washington had gained in the Gulf of Mexico area.
In reality, though, the missiles the US withdrew were mostly old and scheduled to be replaced some time soon thereafter anyways.
That was more of a diplomatic action specifically aimed at not letting the Russians lose face on the international scene.
That's just what I remember.

Last edited:
Some says that Turkey still has got some tactical nuclear misilles given by USA. And they also assert that Turkey has 20 or 50 nukes .Do you have any information about it?

It was my understanding that the USA withdrew all nuclear capable missiles from Turkey as part of the compromise to de-escalate the Cuban Missile Crisis. The idea, naturally, was the the USSR wanted Cuba as a missile base to counter the fact that we already had missiles within a nation bordering them. At least, that was the excuse they gave for pushing things to the point it got.

Tactical nukes though, might not have been discussed in the equation.

When President Reagan decided that Russia was not complying with the SALT and Non Proliferation Treaties, he began a massive overseas buildup. Here are some of what we know about in Turkey.
http://cns.miis.edu/research/wmdme/turkey.htm

Turkey

Weapons of Mass Destruction Capabilities and Programs1

Nuclear2

• No evidence of a nuclear weapons program.
  • Plans to build two nuclear power reactors by the year 2006.
  • 5MW research reactor at the Cekmece Nuclear Research and Training Centre and 250KW research reactor at the Istanbul Technical Institute; both facilities are under IAEA safeguards.
  • 15 B-61 nuclear gravity bombs deployed by the United States at Inçirlik Air Base.
  • Ratified the NPT on 4/17/80; signed the CTBT on 9/24/96, but has not ratified the treaty.
Chemical3

• No evidence of a chemical weapons program.
  • Ratified the Chemical Weapons Convention on 5/12/97.
Biological4

• No evidence of a biological weapons program.
  • Ratified the BTWC on 11/5/74.
Ballistic missiles5

• 120 MGM-140 Army Tactical Missile System (ATACMS) with 160km range and 450kg payload, and 12 launchers.
Cruise missiles6

• Harpoon/RGM-84A with 120km range and 220kg payload.
Other delivery systems7

• Fighter and ground attack aircraft include: 121 F-16C, 24 F-16D, 182 F-4E, 63 F-5A/B, and 44 NF-5A/B.
  • 100 Popeye-1 air-launched standoff missiles with 100km range and 360kg payload, to be delivered by Israel by the year 2000. May purchase an additional 100.
  • Plans to co-produce Popeye-2 air-launched standoff missiles with 350km range and 360kg payload, in cooperation with the Israeli firm Rafael.
  • Ground systems include artillery and rocket launchers.

The missiles in turkey were IBM with a range of several thousand miles and from Turkey they reach every major target in Russia.

Back