Gurkha

This Gurkha soldier was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross, but shouldn't he get the VC for what he did? I read several citations of what servicemen have done to be awarded the VC and I think this Gurkha is on the same level as many of those getting the VC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yflXCMQxHXU

I agree, he should have got the VC, his actions against the Taliban were nothing short of heroic and VC worthy.

The Gurkhas are among the best troops in the world, their jungle fighting abilities are legendry, they are among the most loyal troops to the British crown.

There was a Parade of Gurkhas in UK recently, guarded by armed civi police, the Gurkhas didn't need them, they could have guarded the armed civi police.

It is a pity the decision can't be reviewed, I know a few civilian efforts here have resulted in servicemen receiving awards well after the event.

I think an English sailor during the WWI got the VC after public opinion. He is also one of the youngest servicemen awarded the VC. He was only 15 and he got the medal posthumously.

I am fascinated by the VC. The medal doesn't look that much, a bronze cross with a crimson ribbon, there are few VCs with a blue ribbon awarded to naval personnel between 1856-1918.

I know what I would ask a VC holder if I met any. I would ask him if the VC is a burden when they aren't anonymous anymore. Willie Apiata, the NZSAS Corporal awarded the VC after actions in Afghanistan is/was very uncomfortable with the attention about him and the medal. Other VC holders don't like to be in the spotlight

I know what I would ask a VC holder if I met any. I would ask him if the VC is a burden when they aren't anonymous anymore. Willie Apiata, the NZSAS Corporal awarded the VC after actions in Afghanistan is/was very uncomfortable with the attention about him and the medal. Other VC holders don't like to be in the spotlight

He had a couple of issues, primarily that he remained on active duty after receiving it and that his photograph was published for winning it something the SAS are not fond of.

He had a couple of issues, primarily that he remained on active duty after receiving it and that his photograph was published for winning it something the SAS are not fond of.

The Aussie SAS soldier getting it retired as well. But he seems more comfortable with the VC. The British Warrior driver awarded the VC didn't like the attention.

It seems to take a quite extended period of time to be awarded the VC so the majority of the VC winners retire anyway before getting it.

The British Parachute regiment has a VC winner in active duty. If he considered to apply and try for the SAS, he can't now when a lot of people knows who he is

Back