Gunships Unleashed

On the doctrine of the use of the bird... I think the example of how the bird was "misused" is a fine example of improvising and adapting. I don't believe any change in doctrine is necessary. Rather I would educate those concerned that doctrine is not prescriptive but rather a guide and that reality often dictates necessary changes. Any use of this bird which saves American and allied lives while taking those of the enemy is a good and proper use. There is no way someone can line out all the myriad of possibilities, in the end a pilot or commander's judgement preempts any doctrine IMHO.

I would rather see a gunship used in such situations than air-fuel weapons or Daisycutters. The 130 has been upgraded with battlefield to air communications and targeting abilities. This cuts collateral damage to a minimum but nothing can completely stop it in an urban situation. The loss of life is directly consistent with the tactics used by the insurgents because of their disregard for human lives, even their own people.

The AC-130's greatest strength isn't massive fire power, but the ability to place a single round with precision. Couple that with Sensor operators who can devote their absolute attention to sorting out targets from friendlies and non-combatants, (not concerning themselves with navigating or any other function).
The long loiter time, and miserly approach to expending ammo, allows the Spectre crews to develope their targets and really work them over.
A fairly good account of Spectre in SEA, is here; http://www.gunships.org/zeybell.html

The 40mm's are due to be replaced with 30mm chain guns, I guess they finally ran out of bofors parts.

Back