Guns of WWII

I was tired when I watched it it was like one in the morning and I was still trying to study. I think the magazine was curved and loaded on the side of the weapon. it looked longer than the M1 or at least the barrel stuck much farther out from the stock than the M1. It was automatic I think.

Ok, the weapon you are referring to is the M1941 Johnson:

http://www.miltecharms.com/
(it's the middle one on the front page)

http://www.miltecharms.com/rifles.htm#M1941 said:
The M1941 Johnson was used by the Marine Raiders and the Para-Marines at the beginning of World War II and served as their main semi-auto rifle until adoption of the M1 Garand in late 1942.

It fired a .30-06 round while in U.S. service, but was sold abroad chambered for the 7mm.

Never knew

I bet once this weapon was out to have fun the japs never knew what hit them. They must have been destroyed. If every soldier had this some areas miht have been easier to clear.

lol

Well,
Let me tell you something...Some of our M1 Carabines have Springfield 1943 printed on them...

Well, just imagine what the polish or the Dutch soldiers felt when they clashed against german troops armed with Mauser 98k, MP-40 and MG-34 lmgs... Well, no more chatty-chat, I think that the best guns of WWII are:
1) Pistol: The Colt 1911 or the Webley revolver.
2) SMG: PPSH-41 gun.
3) Rifle: The Enfield or maybe the Mosin-Nagant (because of its dependability in the worst conditions).
4) LMG: MG-42
5) HMG: Browning HB .50 cal

best guns of ww2

i'd have to agree with maciste about the webley, it may of been heavy but it was one of the most dependable revolvers ever made. the earlier models were useful in combat because of there heavy .455 caliber. it was also made in .38 cal.

The reason the .455 cal was chosen was due to an incident in india when an english officer fired 6 .32 cal rounds into a charging indian from a range of less then twenty feet and due to it having not enough knockdown power he had his head removed with the opponents sword. After that incident and other simmilar ones the british looked around for a hand gun that would put guys down when they were shot with it.

my favs would be
1) pistol: webley
2)SMG: the owen gun
3) rifle: SMLE enfield no1 mk3 or the mk4
4)LMG: the bren light machine gun (bren gun)
5)HMG:The Vickers heavy machine gun

i'd pick the SMLE over other rifles because of its faster and better handling qualities.
1) you can stop halfway thru a mag and reload if you have to.
2) stripper clips for easy and quick reloading.
3) 10 round magazine.
4) the mad minute qualification was 15 aimed shots a minute at a 20 inch circle at 200 yards. have seen ex soldiers shoot up to 40 rounds a minute during rapidfire with them so you can imagine what a well trained company could do with them.

have yet to see a ww2 rifle that can match it

my favs would be

Am I the only one who sees a pattern? :D

sherman105 said:
my favs would be

Am I the only one who sees a pattern? :D

well the owen gun is aussie designed and built so they ain't all english weapons :D
;)

well the owen gun is aussie designed and built so they ain't all english weapons

Ha! Common, the one thats not English is from one of the Commonwelth members.... You must be joking.

Sherman105, though the Mauser 98k is a reeeaal good rifle I hadn't chose it because the Enfield wins in terms of rapidfiring and the Mosin-Nagant wins on his dependability on terrific battle conditions. I do not mean that the German was a bad rifle, of course, and there were a lot of worse rifles in other countries... By the way, I'd like if anyone could answer me two questions:
1) I've read somewhere that the elderly French rifle Lebel Berthier 1886 equipped still some units at the beginning of Word War II. Is that true?

2) I'd like to fin some technical data about the Jorgensen rifle, which equipped both the Dutch and Norwegian forces (if I'm not mistaken). Where can I get it?

Thank you, boys.

Back