Guns in National Parks

Chukpike

Banned
Rule allows guns in National Park

'The Department of the Interior finalized a rule that allows carrying concealed, loaded weapons in National Parks and wildlife refuges in states where people are legally allowed to carry concealed weapons...

...takes effect Wednesday (12/10/200), foregoing the usual 60-day period before new rules are enacted"
article in LA Times 12/06/2008 by Julie Cart

Maybe the Constitution is not dead yet.:cool:

This wasn't a law before?

No, in 1983 during the Reagan Administration guns were pretty much banned in National Parks and refuges. It did not apply to BLM and USFS areas. This change basically allows concealed carry, following whatever state laws that apply based on what state the park or refuge is in. This pretty much follows what the BLM and Forest service have been doing all along.

In California I don't think it will help much as guns are not allowed in state Parks so won't be allowed in National Parks or refuges inside California.

One thing to note is that regulations are not necessarily laws. Another thing from reading the final rule it would seem that open carry is still not allowed, only concealed carry with a state permit.

The Department of the Interior final ruling:

http://www.doi.gov/issues/Final Rule.pdf

Well, Big Bend allow the weapons in the park but must notify the rangers at the entrance, separated the gun and bullets, put a gun cased, and put it out of the sight.....

Rule allows guns in National Park

'The Department of the Interior finalized a rule that allows carrying concealed, loaded weapons in National Parks and wildlife refuges in states where people are legally allowed to carry concealed weapons...

...takes effect Wednesday (12/10/200), foregoing the usual 60-day period before new rules are enacted"
article in LA Times 12/06/2008 by Julie Cart

Maybe the Constitution is not dead yet.:cool:

Thank Bloody God.... I've been waiting for this for a long time. As a long time fan of Everglades National Park I've been wanting to be able to carry.

Why? Because a large number of the druggies run their meth labs out in the boonies and same with the pot farmers. They're armed and they have attacked visitors.

Also I don't like being animal food. I'm the top predator... not mother nature.

All in all... HOOAH!

Sucks that this will more then likely be reserved under the Obama Administration.

Back