Gun Possession in Wilderness areas?

deerslayer

Milforum Swamp Dweller
I'm planning a 2008 backpacking excursion in Idaho; the majority of my own supplies (pack, survival equipment, etc.) are gathered. However, I'm having difficulty finding the regulations on firearms possession by a tourist. I'm not interested in getting mauled by a bear, and bear spray isn't 100% effective; a .50 cal slug is. The firearm I plan to carry is not registered in my name; I'm currently under 18. by 08, however, I can transfer the ownership to my own name. State laws have very little on possession by residents and visitors is pretty scarce as well; can someone point me in the right direction for getting this information? I've already e-mailed the director of parks services on possession, but is there any more information I should gather before toting an 870 into a NWA?

well, I'll be 18 next October, well before the trip, so I'll have plenty of time to take care of transfer of ownership; apparently, since there's nothing on tourists there, I'm more or less in the clear.

However, state laws regulate the national forests, so I've emailed the director of the Sawtooths to get more information.

Another place that could be checked as well as the one that has already been referenced, would be the Idaho State Police. The troopers should have some idea what the rules are within any of the parks ... after all, they patrol these areas along with the Park Rangers, and must be as aware of what weapons restrictions are as the Park Rangers are. The other possibility, check with the Forestry Service Office, located within the Park you are going to visit and ask the Forest Rangers what firearm restrictions are for the park.

All you need to do would be to use telephone information to get the number of the State Police Post (or) the Forestry Service in the area you are going to visit, and give either the State Police Post (or) the Forestry Office a call.

Either way, you will receive an answer that will probably be the correct one.

Good point, Chief. If you know what county you're going to be in you might check with the county sheriff's office also. Some county's here are stricter than others.

Back