Gun oil medication

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
A few days ago, Merlin my German Shepherd had a nasty deep puncture wound on his back leg about 10mm deep, I guess Spud our German/Belgian Shepherd got a little too boisterous when playing.

I got hold of Merlin while my son got the bottle of Ballistol gun oil out of the medicine cabinet then with a cotton bud cleaned out the wound. Yesterday the wound was again treated with Ballistol and again last night. This morning I checked and the wound had completely healed, no redness nothing.

I first come across Ballistol when I began to work for the previous owner of my gun shop, a customer walked in asked for a bottle of Ballistol gun oil, paid for it and took a swig. Somewhat shocked I said, “Oi you can't drink that stuff, it'll will kill you.” The customer laughed and said that its been used as a medicine in Africa for years. It will cure mouth ulcers, stomach ulcers, relieve the pain of arthritis and rheumatism, if used on cuts and burns it will reduce scar tissue and make the wound heal quicker. It'll even kill green fly on your roses. It's amazing stuff.

Of the thousands of bottles I have sold over the years, I have only ever sold one for cleaning firearms, the rest have been for medication purposes. I have even exported the stuff in small quantities.

Apparently Ballistol came to Africa when the German Army took control of German South West Africa (today Namibia).

I bought a small spray pack of Ballistol several years ago but have never used it much. I don't like the smell of it as I'm a great believer in the old original "Young's .303". It is as old as the hills and one of my uncles gave me a gallon can of it in the 1960s. It was standard issue in the services here and I think it was bought, borrowed or stolen from a rifle club as the uncle in question was a very keen competition shooter.

There's no smell quite like Young's 303 and stale cordite,... although I'm damned sure I wouldn't try drinking it, it smells strongly of carbolic acid which was one of the favourite tipples of those wanting to do away with themselves 100 or so years ago.

I just went and got my tin of Ballistol and yes,... it does say "Non toxic to warm blooded organism, when used as directed" Manufactured by F.W. Klever, Gmbh,Germany.

All I have ever used is Youngs 303 on my own personal firearms in the UK and here in SA, and as you say, has a wonderful smell. Nowt like it.

Ballistol has a foul smell and taste. A few years ago I nearly amputated the little finger and next one to it on my right hand trying to open a plastic bubble wrap of two D cell batteries, claret was everywhere. The doctor sewed me up, when I got home I put Ballistol on the wounds. When the stitches came out there was very little scar tissue.

You crazy foreigners..... :sarc:

I'm gonna stick with tried and true methods approved by my doctor. Moonshine, beer, whiskey, and vodka! :thumb:

Nothing cleans a wound faster then a good application of White Lighting (Moonshine) to the injury and a good swig of it..... if I'm too drunk it don't hurt. :drunkb:

That stuff can make you go blind.

Remind's me of my mum saying, "Little boys who play with themselves go blind!"

I asked, "Can I do it a little bit and wear glasses?"

You crazy foreigners..... :sarc:

I'm gonna stick with tried and true methods approved by my doctor. Moonshine, beer, whiskey, and vodka! :thumb:

Nothing cleans a wound faster then a good application of White Lighting (Moonshine) to the injury and a good swig of it..... if I'm too drunk it don't hurt. :drunkb:

Mountain water can also lead to the precuring or other injuries as well, do not attempt to operate a motor vehicle or heavy machinery, or attempt breakdancing, please use as directed:p

Little boys who play with themselves will not infect others, ans they will meet a better class of people, trust me...

Back