Gun license

Very tempting haha. Customs might **** themselves trying to import it but when my paperwork goes through it might happen..

Have any photos?

In all seriousness, it wouldn't be worth your while. Besides which, its all in bits in my vault at work.

Here's the only photo of it I can find, just before we tested the rifle. The stock looks right, but the barrel looks too long. The chap on the right is my salesman, the chap on the left did odd jobs. I'll get someone to take a photo of the barrel and the stock, and if they can find it, the Mauser action

Here's also a photo of my son after he tried to clear the photocopier.

Last edited:
.30-06 is a very versatile round. Everything from 125 gr for varmints up to 220 gr on things like Moose.

While there are plenty of other calibres available here, the amount of ex-military service Mauser 98 rifles converted to 30-06 (7,62x63 NATO) here makes it one of the most common hunting calibres for large game in Norway.

Strange enough, I don't have any myself, but I'm reloading for my brother, my cousin, two uncles and a couple of buddies, so I'm fairly well used to the calibre.
For our subspecie of moose we usually load the .30-06 with 180 grain rounds at a moderate speed, maiking it usefull on almost any game here.
The favourite bullets are Norma Oryx, and the Nosler Partition for those who don't mind a little damage to the meat...

The calibre is incredibly versatile, and have an accuracy potential far beyond the capabilities of the person behind the trigger. :roll:
While the heavier bullets can be a tad short of breath, the .30-06 nearly duplicates the flat trajectory of a .300 Win Mag when we load the '06 with 165 grains Nosler Partition, and with far less recoil.

If I for some reason had to give up all my guns for one calibre, it would be either the .308 or a .30-06.

Oh by the way, if some of you guys over in the US wants a little more punch in your rifle, try out the Norma ammo, it's a hot on pair with the "light-magnum" loads you get from domestic manufacturers. :cool:

Hmm, gotta remind myself...diggers got white stars, Kiwis got Krasnji Isvestja...

Sorry mate, my russian is a tad rusty nowadays, too many years have passed since the iron curtain came tumbeling down.

Total mix-up of plural and singular, plus the general confusion over a language I never learned.
I believe Krasnjie Svesdji would be more like it...
красные звезды

Oh by the way, I've been told the Aussies are mostly metric, how's the situation on NZ?

Eh i work in refrigeration / air conditioning, and we don't really use metric or imperial as a guide.
Copper pipe is measured in increments of an inch.. 1/8", 3/8", 1/2, 1/4 etc... PVC is all in metric though. And don't get me started on gas pressures.
We get taught in trade-school to use kilopascals, but our tradesmen only really know pounds/square inch. So we kind of have to learn both there too. Hahaha
It's great -.-

Eh i work in refrigeration / air conditioning, and we don't really use metric or imperial as a guide.
Copper pipe is measured in increments of an inch.. 1/8", 3/8", 1/2, 1/4 etc... PVC is all in metric though. And don't get me started on gas pressures.
We get taught in trade-school to use kilopascals, but our tradesmen only really know pounds/square inch. So we kind of have to learn both there too. Hahaha
It's great -.-

Well, we went all metric back in 1875 and have been ever since, but still plumbing is done based on inches, in construction they're still refering to 2x4 and 2x8, boats are meassured in feet, and a nautical mile is still 100 fathoms here.

Wonder how it's like in the UK.

Jeez,.. uz MontyB you mean that you still quote 1/2". I beat ya, I've got 12.7mm. or was that across the eye?

I will leave that to your imagination but just remember anything more than 12 inches is a foot and 3 feet make a yard.

:)

Well, we went all metric back in 1875 and have been ever since, but still plumbing is done based on inches, in construction they're still refering to 2x4 and 2x8, boats are meassured in feet, and a nautical mile is still 100 fathoms here.

Weird we have only been completely metric since 1969 so with the older folk imperial terms are still common but for the most part we have 100x50 and 200x50 (note we quote them backwards) and god knows what a fathom is.

Wonder how it's like in the UK.

I am not sure but parts of the UK are still in 1875 so I am guessing they run a mix of metric and imperial.

Last edited:
OK...it's been quite a while since I did any kind of navigation based on anything but dead reckoning, but still...

A fathom as I know it, based on the approximate Admirality Nautical Mile by international agreement, is 1,852 meter.
That's 1/100 of a cable-length (185,2 meter) wich is 1/10 of a nautical mile (1852 meter) as I remember it.

Thus, if you sail 10 nautical mile pr. hour, your boat is doing 10 knots.
To complicate the matter further we used to call the Nautical mile a "quarter-mile" since we already had what we called a "sea-mile" of approximately 7408 meter.
The origin of that is even more complicated since it contains a lot of complete obsolete standards, and even worse if you consider that we used both Swedish and Danish feet on some point, and none of them corresponded exactly with the Imperial feet...
A complete mess I dare say. :sick:

Weird we have only been completely metric since 1969 so with the older folk imperial terms are still common but for the most part we have 100x50 and 200x50 (note we quote them backwards) and god knows what a fathom is.

I am not sure but parts of the UK are still in 1875 so I am guessing they run a mix of metric and imperial.

When I was at school in the 50's we had imperial measurements beaten into us, if we got it wrong a quick belt around the ear or rap over the knuckles with a ruler.

We had the Pounds, Shillings and Pence which really gave us a brain ache:-

12 Pennies = 1 shilling
20 Shilling's = 1 Pound or 240 pennies = 1 Pound
21 Shillings = 1 Guinea or 1 Pound + 1 Shilling = 1 Guinea or 252 Pennies = 1 Guinea.

Then we had the coins:-
Farthing 1/4 of a Penny
Half Penny (normally called a HaPenny)
Penny
3 Penny
6 Penny (usually called a tanner)
Shilling
Two Shillings or Florin (Sometimes called 2 Bob)
2 Shillings and 6 pence or half a crown (sometimes called half a dollar)
Half a Guinea
Guinea

Then we had the notes:-
10 Shillings (sometimes called 10 Bob or half a bar)
1 Pound (or Quid)
5 Pounds
The 10 Pound note was not re-introduced until 20 years or so after the war because of forgeries by the Germans.
In London £25 is often called a Pony and £500 a Monkey.

Then we had Imperial weights:-
16 oz to a pound
14 pounds to a stone
112 pounds to a hundred weight
20 hundred weights to a ton

When I measure vehicle fuel consumption I still use the old miles per gallon, the metric "litres per 100 kilometres" means nothing to me. When measuring I use both Imperial and Metric. For measuring longer distances I use feet and inches, for smaller distances I use millimetres.

Back on topic.. My letter from mr policeman saying I'm sane enough to possess firearms came yesterday so it's time to book into tafe... About halfway through the process.

Haha I think I'll stick with the .223 for the time, save my pennies for a bit. I'd love one but there's a lot of other stuff I'd love more at the moment. Like a new HiLux ute (pickup truck) haha

Back