Gun license - Page 2

--
Boots

October 25th, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I tend to agree, I use an refurbished ex-army L1A1 SLR for deer locally, ammunition is plentiful and fairly cheap but it will be replaced by an L115A3 once it arrives in the country which will be good for a bit of night pig shooting as well.
I'm jealous.

Although not illegal in South Africa, for the last few years, the police won't issue a licence as they regard it and others like it as an assassins rifle.

Government are paranoid they will get taken out by irate white South Africans one by one.
October 25th, 2011  
MontyB

Yeah we have very strict rules on MSSA's and MS weapons in general but the police are pretty reasonable when it comes to enforcing the laws, they don't turn a blind eye but they don't go overboard either.

We are also relatively lucky in that locally we have a lot of wild pig and deer populations are starting to flourish so larger calibre rifles are not uncommon.

For the most part it is harder to convince the wife than the police.
October 25th, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Yeah we have very strict rules on MSSA's and MS weapons in general but the police are pretty reasonable when it comes to enforcing the laws, they don't turn a blind eye but they don't go overboard either.

We are also relatively lucky in that locally we have a lot of wild pig and deer populations are starting to flourish so larger calibre rifles are not uncommon.

For the most part it is harder to convince the wife than the police.
An ex 32 Battalion Special Forces officer was refused a licence for a handgun on the grounds, "With your military experience, you could be a danger to the state." That's how insane its got
--
Boots
October 25th, 2011  
MontyB

Yeah that is borderline stupidity, I am pleased we don't have that problem here "yet"
October 25th, 2011  
BritinAfrica

If the UN and idiots like Hillary Clinton have their way, you will have the same problem as us.

Over the years I and a few others have been fighting tooth and nail for gun owners rights in South Africa. The problem is that the average South African gun owner is either:-
A Stupid
B Deaf
C Thick as two short planks
D Selfish they have got their guns and stuff everyone else who needs a firearm
E Wear rose coloured glasses.
F Too bone idle and too tight fisted to help in the fight.

Its got to the stage where I gave up and said stuff it, I'm not fighting your battles anymore.

Ted Nugent had it right, "I am a free man, do not step on me."
October 31st, 2011  
Yossarian

Just killed another Buck with 30. 06 this season, you can hold your opinions about the round but it does the job very well, I cannot lie about it.

Especially with ballistic tipped cartriges. Strangely it does not feel overpowered at all, or are the sub species of deer in your area smaller than most?
October 31st, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
Just killed another Buck with 30. 06 this season, you can hold your opinions about the round but it does the job very well, I cannot lie about it.

Especially with ballistic tipped cartriges. Strangely it does not feel overpowered at all, or are the sub species of deer in your area smaller than most?
The 30-06 is among the most popular calbre's in South Africa loading 165-168 grainers. I agree its a very good calibre, although a few have said they don't like the recoil.

In my shop a few years ago we built up a 30-06 on a standard K98 Mauser action, the barrel that we ordered was short chambered so that the chamber could be finally reamed out by hand, the barrel was shorter but heavier to keep the balance correct and rifled with a 1 in 10 twist, the muzzle measured something like 19mm with a more or less straight taper. The action was worked on, including lapping the locking lugs and smoothing out the bolt travel. Scope rings were fitted and lapped. For tests I had and old stock hanging around and without bedding the stock mounted the barreled action, but we did free float it. It was intended to bed the stock using Brownalls bedding compound at a later date. We headed for the range with a variety of different makes of ammunition but all in the 165-168 range. Off the bench I managed to get a tad over 1 MOA, while my son with his younger eyes managed sub MOA. Due to the heavy barrel the felt recoil was more like a .308 then a 30-06

Due to new gun laws making sales difficult we never finished the rifle. It showed a lot of promise.
October 31st, 2011  
eTe

Pity. Sounds like it would have been awesome to use
October 31st, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTe
Pity. Sounds like it would have been awesome to use
Want to buy it? lol
October 31st, 2011  
eTe

Very tempting haha. Customs might **** themselves trying to import it but when my paperwork goes through it might happen..

Have any photos?