Gun Control in the USA, the UK, & Canada (Videos)

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Gun Control in the USA, the UK, Australia, & Canada (Videos)

Gun Control in the UK

Gun Control in Canada

The Untold Story of Gun Confiscation After Katrina

John Stossel Links Gun Control to Higher Crime Rates

National Guard Confiscating Guns in New Orleans

To See Where Gun Licensing Leads, Look To England & Australia

The Truth About "Ballistic Fingerprinting"

The Truth About the Right to Carry

The Truth About Semi-Auto Firearms by Ofc. Leroy Pyle

Last edited:
5.56 - good video of England's situation. Tony Martin was in a state of seige, broken into at night, in darkness. He had suffered for a long time, in a secluded position, without protection.

I sympathise with the argument, but it is done no justice when a typical uninformed protester states that firearm related crime was up 40%. I think he needs to read the facts, since 2003 it has actually dropped by 23%.

If people want the pollies to take notice, the first thing they have to do is get their facts right. These persons are as big a threat as the anti gun lobby.

You must have credibility before you can expect to win a point.

spx_file002-3.gif

Looks like the system is working to me, most numbers are down and any increases are small with the exception of drug offences.

The best indication that the police are doing a better job is the public perceptions figures.
BCS interviews during the 12 months to September 2007 showed that the
proportion of adults with a high level of worry about car crime and violent crime
had significantly decreased compared with the previous year (car crime decreased
from 13.4% to 12.6% and violent crime from 17% to 16%). The reduction in the
proportion of adults with a high level of worry about burglary was not statistically
significant

I love the rather alarmist new report and the statements of "gun cultures" and "spiraling out of control" problems when the data they provide to back up their argument shows nothing of the sort.

The right wing press must have their story! I think there is some truth to a large increase in violent (possibly gun crime) associated with young people, particularily in London, although I cannot find a link to verify that.

Actually here is one

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6349925.stm

Ok thats just confusing, the number of people killed or injured has gone from 31 to 76 but the number of people killed has dropped from 75 to 50?

About the only thing I can conclude is that the British are becoming worse shots and only injuring the people they shoot at?

I love the rather alarmist new report and the statements of "gun cultures" and "spiraling out of control" problems when the data they provide to back up their argument shows nothing of the sort.

[sarcasm]Surely you are not suggesting that the press is perhaps overstating the facts a little to gain circulation? Shame on you Monty. [/sarcasm]

I don't deny that crime is probably increasing in some small groups as pointed out by Perseus, but hardly worthy of the banner headlines in the press. But from the latest Home Office figures, it seems that the police are having reasonable success in this field.

Hehe I just found it amusing that the report said one thing and the data said something completely different its like they just added a link to give the story credibility without actually checking the link.

I agree though there will always be spikes in data especially when you have long periods of time where the data is moving in one direction.

I didn't even try to work that one out, the whole story appears to be a beatup by someone with a second agenda somewhere.

Obviously another panic merchant with poor math skills.

Pleased to see that you approve of my unbiased post; authoritarians would of course jump to accept the 'unbiased' (he-he) figures from the bodies appointed by The Home Office to bend perceptions. But reality is a different matter and happily the British public have at last woken up and has spoken at the ballet box, with a loud and positive voice.

I will help you with this one.

Would you believe it - the BCS is not the last word.

It does not include any of the below listed figures:-

Crimes against businesses
Crimes where there is no direct victim (such as possession of drugs)
Crimes against victims younger than 16 (it is considered inappropriate to survey child victims of crime in a general household survey)
Crimes that have involved deaths, like homicide (as the victims cannot be interviewed)
Crimes against pensioners !!!.

It cannot tell you what is happening in your neighbourhood. And the most vulnerable are not included.

***Note -
The British Crime Survey (BCS) is an in-home survey, run by the Home Office, that measures the amount of crime in England and Wales by asking people aged 16 and over, living in private households, about crimes they have experienced in the last ....................

Here's another take I would prefer ahead of anything put forward by our current Government scoundrels:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/08/31/do3101.xml

And yes, I do know that this is the man who wrote this :-

"the United Kingdom's authority as a sovereign nation has been greatly eroded, our democratic traditions trashed, and the make-up of our society put through the mangle of enforced multiculturalism - all without anything so vulgar as a plebiscite. Like geese being prepared for the production of foie gras, we are having stuffed down our throats that which we do not wish to swallow: the rough corn of Labour's determination to make its changes irreversible. If we dare to complain, we're told that it's good for us."[

BTW, MontyB - I was seriously interested to see that you do, in fact, approve of the use of guns to protect one's own home. I would suggest that that is at the heart of the matter.('beaten up again' thread, registered members only, 6 hours ago.)

Last edited:
I approve of the use of guns appropriate to the level of control you have of the area, at home I know who has the right to be there and who shouldn't, I know the lay out of the land and where and how I can use a firearm to cause the least collateral damage (neighbours etc.).

I seriously doubt I can say the same thing about wandering the streets armed which is why I do not believe arming the population in public is a good idea and why I do believe this area is best left to those trained for the job aka the police.

As far as my personal feelings on guns well they are just another implement in my collection, if I want to chop down a tree I will use an axe or saw, if I want to build something I will use a hammer and if I want to shoot something I will use a gun, I collect firearms and have all of the appropriate licenses to do so but unlike some on the board I am not evangelistic about them.

In terms of protection I seriously doubt the value of the firearm, certainly in the right circumstances they are very effective but in the wrong circumstances they make matters a hell of a lot worse and as I have said before if you live in a society where you need to be able to kill to feel safe then you need to seriously look at the quality of that society.

That just about matches my old position here, in the days when it was do-able. Seems a reasonable enough approach; I don't think I need add to this thread at the moment. I'm just sore at the weoponry in the hands of criminals here at present. I will chase any government in the same way, regardless of colour, if they disregard the electorate. I was at the core of the the removal of the conservative local power at the last local election over such dismissive considerations, and I exhort my constituentcy to hold politicians at all levels to account at the ballot box.

As far as America is concerned, they have their traditions and freedoms to consider and are of course reluctant to give up hard won positions. How do their differring comparisons from state to state measure up? All I have been able to offer is our experience here, for what it is worth.

Last edited:
Every country has a different set of problems when it comes to gun control, Countries like America, Canada and Australia can be days away from the nearest Police station and if there can be a great need of guns even if it it is to control wild animals. In Britain you would only be a short journey time from a police a station, now I wont say that they will turn up but in theory any way they are quite close

Back