Gun Control - Major General Peter Cosgrove at his best

mjw82

The post "Military noise complaint" reminded me of this
Not sure if this is his best, he has done a great many things, but this is certainly a funny one.

For those that don’t know him, Major General Peter Cosgrove is an Australian treasure
General Cosgrove was interviewed on the radio recently.
You’ll love his reply to the lady who interviewed him concerning guns and children. Regardless of how you feel about gun laws you gotta love this! This is one of the best comeback lines of all time. It is a portion of an ABC interview between a female broadcaster and General Cosgrove who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military headquarters.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
So, General Cosgrove, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
We’re going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery and shooting.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
Shooting! That’s a bit irresponsible, isn’t it?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
I don’t see why, they’ll be properly supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
Don’t you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
I don’t see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm.!

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:
But you’re equipping them to become violent killers.

GENERAL COSGROVE:
Well, Ma’am, you’re equipped to be a prostitute, but you’re not one, are you?

The radio went silent and the interview ended

It's actually an insult to the intelligence of ex Major General Peter Cosgrove, and also to those expected to believe it was said by him.

Maj. Gen Cosgrove was a charismatic and well thought of leader and does not need such rubbish attributed to his name.

Patting ourselves and our leaders on the back is not what Aussies are all about. Attributing them with oafish behaviour is even worse.

If perhaps it was said of some Digger, it might actually be credible.

Last edited:
It's actually an insult to the intelligence of ex Major General Peter Cosgrove, and also to those expected to believe it was said by him.

Maj. Gen Cosgrove was a charismatic and well thought of leader and does not need such rubbish attributed to his name.

Patting ourselves and our leaders on the back is not what Aussies are all about. Attributing them with oafish behaviour is even worse.

I totally agree with you, spike.

Yeah, It's what some clod like myself might have said,... if I was thinking fast enough :smile:.

But Peter Cosgrove,... I think not.

What's a "Digger?"

Back