Gulf War vs. Operation Iraqi Freedom

Should we being using tactics, lessons and doctrine used in the Gulf War in Iraq now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FO Seaman

As we all know, things in Iraq are now going down the tubes, but I just wanted to ask everyne about this. Should we have remembered and used what we learned in the Gulf War in Iraqi Freedom?

All the lessons we learned, and the tactics used maybe very useful. While we are not deaing wih Republican Guard units the lessons are still useful.

While most of our platforms are the same and we are fighting a very similiar war it is more high-tech, too high-tech if you as me.

Last edited:
Okay... and what lessons have we not learned?

Maybe we should stop the game at the enemy's red zone again? Go for the field goal instead of the touchdown because it's easier?

See, it seems like the initial Iraqi Freedom invasion was even more successful than the 1991 strike... but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there was something we learned in the not-occupation of the 1991 gulf war that has something to do with the insurgent conflict we are dealing with in 2006.

Whispering Death said:
Okay... and what lessons have we not learned?

Maybe we should stop the game at the enemy's red zone again? Go for the field goal instead of the touchdown because it's easier?

See, it seems like the initial Iraqi Freedom invasion was even more successful than the 1991 strike... but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there was something we learned in the not-occupation of the 1991 gulf war that has something to do with the insurgent conflict we are dealing with in 2006.

My point exactly, when we got what we went in for we should have left.

While we are there for the good of the people, 9 times out 0f 10 it's the good things that bring out the bad. They don't want us there, so why keep up this endless battle of nonsence and death.

Don't get me wrong, the country is flourishing, but a a hefty cost of US/Coailition troops and Iraqi lives.

We might have been better off following to old saying "cut the head off, the body will wither." or something to that extent.

As you asked before, what lessons have we not learned. This country is basically taking a crash course of Veitnam all over again but in a totally different way. After Nam we should have had better armor for the troops, nope not until Iraqi Fredom do they finally get better armor, in the 90's we should have had M1A1 upgrades and atleast 2000 M1A2 SEP's but no we wait until we have a smaller budget and are at war to do that, then the goverenment get this whole aircraft frenzy going and puts the cart befor the horse and tosses out funds for the RAH-66 like candy and blows the thing up and all they got was two test aircraft, retiring the Tomcat was a mistake, while the F-22/JSF-35 can more than takeover the Tomcat's role, there are certainly not enough manufactured yet to do so.

Most of these problems are now being fixed, like the R&D part and the upgrades, but the loss of 14 Billion dollars and the Tomcat can't be fixed.

Last edited:
Yeah, well, you see there are a lot of people like myself that understand there's no difference between the 1991 gulf war and the 2003 gulf war. We've always been at war with Iraq since 1991. They been shooting at our planes, we've been arming rebels, supporting a "free" kurdistan, and constantly bombing them. It hasn't stopped for 14 years.

If you're a fan of the Isreali-Palestinian conflict and think that's a great situation to be in, then yeah, the 1991 gulf war is awsome. If you think resolving war one way or another is right... then the 1991 gulf war is stupid. I happen to believe war isn't over until it's over.

Whispering Death said:
Yeah, well, you see there are a lot of people like myself that understand there's no difference between the 1991 gulf war and the 2003 gulf war. We've always been at war with Iraq since 1991. They been shooting at our planes, we've been arming rebels, supporting a "free" kurdistan, and constantly bombing them. It hasn't stopped for 14 years.

If you're a fan of the Isreali-Palestinian conflict and think that's a great situation to be in, then yeah, the 1991 gulf war is awsome. If you think resolving war one way or another is right... then the 1991 gulf war is stupid. I happen to believe war isn't over until it's over.

Very Ture, what should have happened is Saddam needed to be taken out of power in 91'.

Many stated it then but the 'world" wasn't ready for it. America backed out because of popular opinion. That is what I think.

As for comparing Iraq to Vietnam...apples and oranges.

Back